Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Local Unschooling Group?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 206 Total Views

Do you have an unschooling group in your area?  I haven't gotten to go to one of their events yet but the local group here seems GREAT from the Facebook group!  I'm really hoping we'll get to go to something soon.  They do a weekly park playdate, and some of the upcoming plans include a trip to a wild animal park, going to the ren faire, trip to the beach, a Magic The Gathering play date, and a french immersion play date!  So much FUN stuff!!!  I just have to wait and see what my husband's work schedule will allow for us to participate in....

I was also recently directed to the state unschooling group and they're planning a group conference/camping trip with lots of fun stuff planned there, it's in April.  We'll see if we're able to work out going to that or not.

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jen2150
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:33 PM
We don't really have an unschooling group. Most groups involve a variety different methods. I run a local co-op and use more of an unschooling approach in class. There are certain groups where the unschoolers use them the most. I belong to many groups and have friends from many different methods. We really love all our groups. The people are very awesome. I think unschooling gives us a variety of choices in seeing what things my kids choose to do. There is is a classical conversations group that I don't think would ever work for us. They use way too much memorizing without real thought behind it. I have heard some unschoolers use it. I think some kids may do well with it but I am sure my kids woukd hate it.
LindaClement
by Group Owner on Oct. 30, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I never knew a single other unschooler in our city, the whole time our kids were growing up. I don't know if they were all hiding out somewhere or if we just moved in different circles... but no, no unschooling group I have ever found out about here.

nicolett80
by New Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:03 AM
I know of no unschooling groups around me. In fact, I don't know any other unschoolers. Lol
twyliatepeka
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

There is one homeschool group here that I know of (but they are super clicky) none of them are unschoolers or would ever even dream of it, they like their little boxes.

TSNDDY
by New Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM
I feel like creepy stalker person now, but you're on the Canadian unschooling yahoo group too right?

Quoting LindaClement:

I never knew a single other unschooler in our city, the whole time our kids were growing up. I don't know if they were all hiding out somewhere or if we just moved in different circles... but no, no unschooling group I have ever found out about here.

TSNDDY
by New Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:37 PM
We do have a local group, I haven't really been involved though. This is going to be our first official year.
LindaClement
by Group Owner on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:02 PM

No, I don't think so.. :D

Quoting TSNDDY: I feel like creepy stalker person now, but you're on the Canadian unschooling yahoo group too right?
Quoting LindaClement:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)