Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 Questions: Holidays

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you take 'time off' for the holidays?

Will you be travelling?

Do you make decorations?

What's your oldest decoration?

What's for dinner?

Do you go to movies over the holidays?

Have you ever seen a live ballet?

Do your kids participate in any holiday concerts or performances?

What kinds of outdoor traditions do you have?

What's your favourite holiday movie?

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Replies (21-27):
mamavalor
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Quoting LindaClement:

Do you take 'time off' for the holidays?  Hubby takes time off from work.  I take time off from being a non-traditionalist. 

Will you be travelling?  Not this year, thank goodness.

Do you make decorations?  We used to when the girls were younger.  Now we bake and cook together.

What's your oldest decoration?  I don't have any.  Christmas was not fun growing up, so I don't want any of my parents' stuff.

What's for dinner?  Differs every year, depending upon our mood.  I believe we had Indian take out last year.

Do you go to movies over the holidays?  Not usually but a friend asked about seeing Frozen.

Have you ever seen a live ballet?  Swan Lake and The Nutcracker but I am more of an opera viewer.

Do your kids participate in any holiday concerts or performances?  DS has an accordion concert coming up.

What kinds of outdoor traditions do you have?  Walking in the evening and observing the night sky, smelling the wood burning in fireplaces, hearing nothing but our own voices and our feet crunching in the snow.

What's your favourite holiday movie?  The Year Without a Santa Claus.  Just love the Heat and Cold Misers.

Saracide
by Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Quoting LindaClement:

We having nothing to take time off from right now, so we won't be this year, except hubs does get Christmas off of work for once!

Will you be travelling?

No. We had plans, but hubs schedule got in the way and it was a trip I did not want to make without him. We rescheduled.

Do you make decorations?

Not usually, but I am feeling crafty this year. Last year I was a bit down and out because most of our stuff got ruined by a broken pipe in our storage area.

I honestly am not sure what I even have left anymore. I doubt I have anything from my family that was given to me (they just aren't really that way), but hubs does have some old stuff from his grandmother that didn't get ruined.

What's for dinner?

Today? Turkey and leftovers. It's always unknown for Xmas, we make it different every year. 

Occasionally, but we don't have a tradition of doing it or anything. Usually not ON a holiday day though.

Only ones I performed in as a child, or were put on by fellow dancers in my group.

No. 

Sledding when there is enough snow, snowmen, playing in the snow, looking at the decorated houses. Our biggest ongoing tradition right now is jammies, a warm beverage, and going to see the house that has their Xmas light synced to music!

I really don't have a particular favorite. 

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Nov. 29, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Mmm...Indian!

What kinds of opera do you like?

Quoting mamavalor:

Quoting LindaClement:

Do you take 'time off' for the holidays?  Hubby takes time off from work.  I take time off from being a non-traditionalist. 

Do you make decorations?  We used to when the girls were younger.  Now we bake and cook together.

What's your oldest decoration?  I don't have any.  Christmas was not fun growing up, so I don't want any of my parents' stuff.

What's for dinner?  Differs every year, depending upon our mood.  I believe we had Indian take out last year.

Do you go to movies over the holidays?  Not usually but a friend asked about seeing Frozen.

Have you ever seen a live ballet?  Swan Lake and The Nutcracker but I am more of an opera viewer.

Do your kids participate in any holiday concerts or performances?  DS has an accordion concert coming up.

What kinds of outdoor traditions do you have?  Walking in the evening and observing the night sky, smelling the wood burning in fireplaces, hearing nothing but our own voices and our feet crunching in the snow.

What's your favourite holiday movie?  The Year Without a Santa Claus.  Just love the Heat and Cold Misers.

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Nov. 29, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Sorry to hear about your flood! 

And: yay! Christmas Day off! :D

Quoting Saracide:

Quoting LindaClement:

We having nothing to take time off from right now, so we won't be this year, except hubs does get Christmas off of work for once!

Will you be travelling?

No. We had plans, but hubs schedule got in the way and it was a trip I did not want to make without him. We rescheduled.

Do you make decorations?

Not usually, but I am feeling crafty this year. Last year I was a bit down and out because most of our stuff got ruined by a broken pipe in our storage area.

I honestly am not sure what I even have left anymore. I doubt I have anything from my family that was given to me (they just aren't really that way), but hubs does have some old stuff from his grandmother that didn't get ruined.

What's for dinner?

Today? Turkey and leftovers. It's always unknown for Xmas, we make it different every year. 

Occasionally, but we don't have a tradition of doing it or anything. Usually not ON a holiday day though.

Only ones I performed in as a child, or were put on by fellow dancers in my group.

No. 

Sledding when there is enough snow, snowmen, playing in the snow, looking at the decorated houses. Our biggest ongoing tradition right now is jammies, a warm beverage, and going to see the house that has their Xmas light synced to music!

I really don't have a particular favorite. 

mamavalor
by Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I grew up attending Cantonese opera with my parents.  Never really enjoyed them, except The Flower Princess.  I personally enjoy Italian and French operas.  Do you like opera?

Quoting LindaClement:

Mmm...Indian!

Quoting mamavalor:

Quoting LindaClement:

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Nov. 30, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I do. I've seen more modern than classical operas (Lloyd Webber and others), but I like both. I don't know that I've ever seen a Chinese opera...

I do love Tosca!

Quoting mamavalor:

I grew up attending Cantonese opera with my parents.  Never really enjoyed them, except The Flower Princess.  I personally enjoy Italian and French operas.  Do you like opera?

Quoting LindaClement:

Mmm...Indian!

Quoting mamavalor:

Quoting LindaClement:

mamavalor
by Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Love Lloyd Webber.  The Phanton of the Opera is my kids' first and most favorite.  Anything by Puccini is wonderful.  Hmm, I think I'm gonna dust off some of his albums.

Quoting LindaClement:

I do. I've seen more modern than classical operas (Lloyd Webber and others), but I like both. I don't know that I've ever seen a Chinese opera...

I do love Tosca!

Quoting mamavalor:

Quoting LindaClement:

Mmm...Indian!

Quoting mamavalor:

Quoting LindaClement:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN