Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i deal with this feeling?

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 134 Total Views
I have pressure from my dad ( he homeschooled me, strict book based schooling) to make sure my 1st grader doesn't get behind kids from school in the same grade. This is my first yr homeschooling, I just feel stressed out an worried all the time my son isn't learning enough, I am using time4learning, we read and write an learning some Spanish. In time4learning the math I can't even understand how to explain how they r teaching him the different ways how to subtract, so of course he doesn't understand it and I'm worried he won't be able to learn math like he would in school w a teacher who gets it.

Also I guess I'm too laid back, not organized, and I have a 3 month old, I'm a single mom, but it seems difficult for me to get him started school every morning and do everything and have a full day off school everyday mon-fri, I'm planning on going to school yr round because of this, and he has to go to school 180 days and take one of those end of yr assessment tests for our state.

Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
LindaClement
by Group Owner on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

ONE YEAR OLD?!?!

That must be a typo, right?

You know that you have about 20 years to stuff everything your dad is worried about, into the head of your child? 

My kids 'went to school' zero days a year. Oh, I could have written down all the days we went to the library, museum, errands, playgrounds or read books or watched interesting programming... but since that would be 365 days a year...

Someone out there estimated that 100% of the math from k-7 could be easily learned by any 13yo in about 2 weeks. Why rush, if you can do it all in a few days?

You are mistaking busy work for 'learning' --that you are or are not 'organized' has nothing to do with what your child learns (as the millions of illiterate and innumerate and incapable of thinking high school grads are walking proof of...) Your children have far more important things to learn than 'how to look like you're doing what you're told'... 

How to be human... how to relate to others... how respect feels... who I am (which the curriculum spends 180 days a year pretending isn't even real...)

Stop trying to stuff things in, and just write down what your son is doing. Over a few weeks you'll see that not only does he have no reason to have a teacher, but that you would never think of trying anything that advanced...

Don't talk to your dad about it. He is misinformed and his opinion isn't related to what you need to do.

P.S. My kids were never at all ready for seatwork in the morning. They were up and active, exploring, doing... they held off sitting still until after 7pm most days.

And they are walking, talking, reading, writing, capable (employed, successful) adults you can't distinguish from 'normal' people except by all the compliments they get for being brilliant, caring and mature...

us.mex.fam.of4
by New Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh sorry! He is in 1st grade, thank u for ur advice:) made me feel alot better

Quoting LindaClement:

ONE YEAR OLD?!?!

That must be a typo, right?

You know that you have about 20 years to stuff everything your dad is worried about, into the head of your child? 

My kids 'went to school' zero days a year. Oh, I could have written down all the days we went to the library, museum, errands, playgrounds or read books or watched interesting programming... but since that would be 365 days a year...

Someone out there estimated that 100% of the math from k-7 could be easily learned by any 13yo in about 2 weeks. Why rush, if you can do it all in a few days?

You are mistaking busy work for 'learning' --that you are or are not 'organized' has nothing to do with what your child learns (as the millions of illiterate and innumerate and incapable of thinking high school grads are walking proof of...) Your children have far more important things to learn than 'how to look like you're doing what you're told'... 

How to be human... how to relate to others... how respect feels... who I am (which the curriculum spends 180 days a year pretending isn't even real...)

Stop trying to stuff things in, and just write down what your son is doing. Over a few weeks you'll see that not only does he have no reason to have a teacher, but that you would never think of trying anything that advanced...

Don't talk to your dad about it. He is misinformed and his opinion isn't related to what you need to do.

P.S. My kids were never at all ready for seatwork in the morning. They were up and active, exploring, doing... they held off sitting still until after 7pm most days.

And they are walking, talking, reading, writing, capable (employed, successful) adults you can't distinguish from 'normal' people except by all the compliments they get for being brilliant, caring and mature...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)