Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bed Times

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:37 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 178 Total Views
I'm just a little curious here. (Not trying to start a full on debate.) How many of you give your child a bed time? How many of you don't? Why or why not?
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
dedicatedrider
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:49 AM
1 mom liked this
We sort of have a bedtime, sort of not. Provided we're not out of the house, by around 8 we put up the gate at the playroom door and turn off lights, besides a hall light and the night light in their room. That leaves the boys access to the playroom and their bedroom. From there it's up to them when to go to bed. The hall light is bright enough for them to play in the playroom without affecting anyone who wants to go to the bedroom and sleep. Generally they're all asleep by around 9.

We feel like their bodies know the sleep they need best. We do try to facilitate a good sleeping environment with lesser lighting and what not, but it's ultimately up to them on when to stop playing and go to sleep.
TSNDDY
by New Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:49 AM
We don't really, we have a big family bed and we all usually lay down between 8-9. Sometimes someone isn't tired so I sit out in the living room with them till they are ready to sleep .
faeriemom1972
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:56 PM

No bedtimes here, it's just never been necessary.

MommyMays
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks, ladies, for the replies. My DD does not have a bedtime and MIL says she must be the only child in the world without a bedtime. I'm just trying to see how many other people are the same way and why. :)
Saracide
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:19 PM

None here, but the kid usually goes to his room when I head to bed. Most nights I come down for one last check on the house and he is asleep by then.

oahoah
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM

We've always had a bedtime since they were babies, it gives us downtime with each other. They're usually in bed and/or asleep by 8:00 in winter and later in summer.  They like being up early and we have tried later bedtimes but they still get up early and like the structure and routine that a bedtime gives them.  Also, I never had a bedtime growing up, sometimes go to bed in my regular clothes, no teeth brushing and I am kind of going opposite of that experience. We enjoy reading stories to our boys and hugs & kisses before bedtime.

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

We had, when the kids were older, a homonym 'bedtime' probably spelled differently but pronounced the same way: they were to go to their rooms (playroom or their bedroom) and stay there unless there was blood or fire ... :D

That was usually around 9pm by the time they were 8 or so... mostly it was so we could watch not-child-friendly tv and unwind a bit from the day.

When they were older, the playroom was downstairs and so was their computer, so we just stayed upstairs if we wanted space. 

They never had any enforced 'you must pretend to go to sleep now' time.

jen2150
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM

We aim for 10 pm.  We have to literally get up with the chickens.  I consider it more a goal than a bed time.  If they can't sleep they are welcome to read in bed until they feel sleepy.  They still need to get up at a certain time.  We are not militant about bed times but we definely aim for a certain time.  It helps them to function better.

twyliatepeka
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM

It depends on how our day went. If we got up late she gets to stay up a little later but if she got up early she goes to bed a little earlier.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)