Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unschooling for high school.

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:34 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 81 Total Views

Hi, I think I may have joined this group a few years ago when I was homeschooling my son, I home schooled for most of 5th and all of his 6th grade years.  During that time I swear I tried just about everything out there, on line school, box curriculum, picking and choosing curriculum, doing our own thing, etc.   My son asked to go back to school last year for 7th grade, so we moved to a better district and he started 7th grade there with his cousin (who is 3 day younger).  Much to my surprise he did fairly well, he will be doing 8th grade at PS this year, as they have a big trip the end of the year to Washington DC/New York and it will more than likely be the only trip like that he gets to take, as I'm not a traveller nor will I step on a plane!

My son asked me back in April or May if we could home school for high school, I said yes, I really didn't want to send him to the high school here anyways too large, (over 1,500 students).  So I have been looking at different styles of homeschooling again.  I keep coming back to unschooling, or almost unschooling if there is such a thing, due to my son having ADHD/high functioning autism he is a very visual/hnds on learner so I keep thinking this method of homeschooing may work best for him. 

Last year my son took a photography class and loved it, now he wants to be a photographer, (he's getting a camera for his birthday next  month), but he also wants to be a engineer, or a Lego Master Builder, (don't ask)!  Would I just go with those interest and let him pursure those things.  Right now he is also into the different WW planes that he will look up on the computer, or go check out books at the library look through them, then take his Lego's and build different planes. 

So would I just let him do stuff like this if we were to pursure this type of schooling for high school or what.  I am not too worried about him going to college right now, one minute he want to go, the other he is never going, I am good with it either way, as long as he is happy.  Also how do you handled people, (my mom, brothers, ex husband), saying he is not learning anything and what do you say to someone like that.  Sorry this is long, but I am just trying to figure this out before he starts highschool next year.  Thank you.

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jen2150
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:34 AM
I am a quassi unschooler. I use curriculum and my own to teach their interests. I take a more direct approach with my younger son so I am more eclectic with him. Last year I talked to my son about what he wanted to do for history. He wanted to study about famous inventors, mathematicians, and scientists. So I put together some books for us to read. We are reading about Greece and also about Euclid and Archimedes. My son is doing pre algebra this year because next year he wants to take a python class. He is really into computer science. I would set him down and see what he is interested in doing. I use curriculum for Language Arts and Math. It makes those subjects easier. My kids love Math. We are not tied down to them. My kids are free to adjust them as necessary. Unschooling has many different degrees. Find the level that works for you. I am a quassi unschooler with a charlotte mason bent. Sometimes I refer to myself as eclectic. I never use a traditional approach. It goes against my kids learning style. Even my youngest who needs more structure needs more freedom than traditional allows.
noraa21
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Thank you,his interests are photography, Lego's, art and WW I & II planes.  I did want to use a math and writing curricululm, math just because I suck at it and he excells at it, and writing because he can't write a paragraph without it being all over the place.  The rest of the stuff he does fairly well in, so I am not too concerned about that. 

He goes through periods where he will read for a couple of months, which is rare as he hates to read, I figure he reads well enough to get by and probaly will never be at "grade level."  I figure as long as he understands what he is reading and can tell me then that's fine, I know he is never going to be a great reader, he is reading about a 5-8th grade level now.

Quoting jen2150: I am a quassi unschooler. I use curriculum and my own to teach their interests. I take a more direct approach with my younger son so I am more eclectic with him. Last year I talked to my son about what he wanted to do for history. He wanted to study about famous inventors, mathematicians, and scientists. So I put together some books for us to read. We are reading about Greece and also about Euclid and Archimedes. My son is doing pre algebra this year because next year he wants to take a python class. He is really into computer science. I would set him down and see what he is interested in doing. I use curriculum for Language Arts and Math. It makes those subjects easier. My kids love Math. We are not tied down to them. My kids are free to adjust them as necessary. Unschooling has many different degrees. Find the level that works for you. I am a quassi unschooler with a charlotte mason bent. Sometimes I refer to myself as eclectic. I never use a traditional approach. It goes against my kids learning style. Even my youngest who needs more structure needs more freedom than traditional allows.

jen2150
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:32 PM
We use math u see and Life of Fred. If he likes art he may enjoy math journals. I am also super mental math. It is a DVD with a book that teaches you how to do math in your head. It has really helped me. Math u see is very hands on and visual. It doesn't go by grade level so you can pick what area you wish to focus on. Life of Fred even has a language arts series. Maybe you incorporate the writing with his interests. He could study and write about world war 1 planes. Maybe some audio books would help him as well. Maybe take pictures and use his imagination to think up a story to go with it. I am using a program called total language plus which uses literature to teach all LA subjects. You only read about a chapter a week. You can go as fast or as slow as you wish. Good luck in whatever you wish. Also most books are written at a 6th grade level.

Quoting noraa21:

Thank you,his interests are photography, Lego's, art and WW I & II planes.  I did want to use a math and writing curricululm, math just because I suck at it and he excells at it, and writing because he can't write a paragraph without it being all over the place.  The rest of the stuff he does fairly well in, so I am not too concerned about that. 

He goes through periods where he will read for a couple of months, which is rare as he hates to read, I figure he reads well enough to get by and probaly will never be at "grade level."  I figure as long as he understands what he is reading and can tell me then that's fine, I know he is never going to be a great reader, he is reading about a 5-8th grade level now.

Quoting jen2150: I am a quassi unschooler. I use curriculum and my own to teach their interests. I take a more direct approach with my younger son so I am more eclectic with him. Last year I talked to my son about what he wanted to do for history. He wanted to study about famous inventors, mathematicians, and scientists. So I put together some books for us to read. We are reading about Greece and also about Euclid and Archimedes. My son is doing pre algebra this year because next year he wants to take a python class. He is really into computer science. I would set him down and see what he is interested in doing. I use curriculum for Language Arts and Math. It makes those subjects easier. My kids love Math. We are not tied down to them. My kids are free to adjust them as necessary. Unschooling has many different degrees. Find the level that works for you. I am a quassi unschooler with a charlotte mason bent. Sometimes I refer to myself as eclectic. I never use a traditional approach. It goes against my kids learning style. Even my youngest who needs more structure needs more freedom than traditional allows.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN