Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unbedtime

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:46 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 130 Total Views
I am sure most of us unschoolers are familiar with the concept of no bedtime. It has worked extremely well in our house over the last 5 years. But what I want to know is how many of you let your kids wake up when they want? How well does that work? Does it clash with needing to do things in the morning. (We try not to schedule anything until after lunch.) I imagine it might work, just like no bedtime. But at the same time I know how hard it is for me to wake up, even when I am not still tired. I could sleep until after noon every day just because I am comfy. I don't care how late DD stays up, but I DO care how late she sleeps regularly. I'd like her to get in a natural rhythm. Currently she falls asleep around 11 and midnight and I wake her up between 8 and 9 but I'm not sure that is enough sleep for her. She acts tired, but I don't know how much is enough for her body.
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mamavalor
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I usually don't wake up my kids if I know they went to bed late.  I usually let them wake themselves up.  This way I know their body is regulating the amount of time they need to rest.

If I do know they will be needing to get up early, then I strongly suggest to them that they go to bed early, usually about 8 to 10 hours before they need to get up.  Not sure about your DD but my kids get cranky when they don't get enough sleep.

MommyMays
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Ha Ha! Yes, she does! So that is a good idea. Just warn her if we have to do something the next morning to allow her to get to be early if she wants to. Thank you for the advice. 

Quoting mamavalor:

I usually don't wake up my kids if I know they went to bed late.  I usually let them wake themselves up.  This way I know their body is regulating the amount of time they need to rest.

If I do know they will be needing to get up early, then I strongly suggest to them that they go to bed early, usually about 8 to 10 hours before they need to get up.  Not sure about your DD but my kids get cranky when they don't get enough sleep.

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:29 AM

We had no bedtime and no getting up time, except for planned events. Mostly, it was easy not to schedule things before 10:30 or so... 

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:30 AM

My kids never found out about the whole 'napping is for babies' thing, so if they woke up too early (for any reason) and were still tired, they'd sleep later in the day.

Quoting mamavalor:

mamavalor
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I forgot about napping.  My kids never learned that either.  But they don't like to nap just the same, thinking they will miss whatever the day brings.  :)   And if they do nap, then I know they are sick or extremely tired. 

Hubby naps all the time, especially before his hockey games. 

Quoting LindaClement:

My kids never found out about the whole 'napping is for babies' thing, so if they woke up too early (for any reason) and were still tired, they'd sleep later in the day.

Quoting mamavalor:

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids still nap, and they're in their 20s.

Quoting mamavalor:

I forgot about napping.  My kids never learned that either.  But they don't like to nap just the same, thinking they will miss whatever the day brings.  :)   And if they do nap, then I know they are sick or extremely tired. 

Hubby naps all the time, especially before his hockey games. 

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting mamavalor:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN