Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Common Core Brought Me Here

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2014 at 4:19 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 328 Total Views

I have a 4th grader, who mostly earns A's with some B's. He feels stupid, thinks he's getting ADD, hates his teachers, & is sitting in class all day with homework at night and crying while doing it.

I completely believe in the philosophy of unschooling. I just don't know where to begin. I submit a curriculum to the Superintendent of our school district?

by on Sep. 10, 2014 at 4:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
noraa21
by Member on Sep. 14, 2014 at 2:34 AM
2 moms liked this

You need to check the laws in your state on homeschooling, if you haven't already  I live in a fairly easy state, but some states you do have to submit stuff.  Then talk to your son and see what he likes to do and what he would like to learn about.  I believe the key is to follow what they want to do, but this is all new to me and I still have one year before we start.

I have an 8th grader and he has decided to stick it out in PS this year, as they have a big trip to New York/DC that he really wants to go on, but yes Common Core does suck and is really nasty, I can't believe some of the stuff my son brings home for homework and how they aren't allowed to have an opinion that is different from the group.  Good luck with your son, homeschooling is the only way to go with the common core crap now being implemented!

MommyMays
by Member on Sep. 16, 2014 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Hello there! Just like the previous poster said, check the laws for your state. There are ways to get around even the strictest state. I have an easy state. We just submit our letter of intent and they don't ask for anything more. I just make sure that I am documenting what we have done throughout the year so that there is no question about me teaching DD. Good Luck to you! 

Oh, and when you say curriculum, do you mean a formal homeschool curriculum? 

mamavalor
by on Dec. 19, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I think you need to talk to him and his teachers.  Find out what is really going on.

I am an unschooling parent and my kids go to the public school.  DD has ADD tendencies, and we work things out where she doesn't require any special accommodations or modifications to do well and feel good at school.  Everything is a learning lesson no matter which decisions are made.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)