Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

serging inserts

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 10:46 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 229 Total Views

I have a nice viking serger, but I cant seem to make inserts without breaking needles, I loosen my screw and use heavy duty needles..I also make petal type soakers so its not too thick..my serger is not that old perhaps a few months, could the blade be dull? should I be setting tension and presserfoot different? I really should go take my free class. 

by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
nangel5
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 12:23 PM

could be the tension.  Or what I seem to notice on my own is that when it is not trimmed up enough at the edges (Like I am trying to have the blade cut too much off) with come fabics or many layers it will jam then the needle breaks.  Does that make sense?

hooraywesay
by Member on Oct. 31, 2011 at 2:59 PM
Same here... I try to keep my layers at 3 per petal as well. And my serger haaaates regular Zorb.

Quoting nangel5:

could be the tension.  Or what I seem to notice on my own is that when it is not trimmed up enough at the edges (Like I am trying to have the blade cut too much off) with come fabics or many layers it will jam then the needle breaks.  Does that make sense?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CelestialGmom
by New Member on Nov. 1, 2011 at 9:23 AM

I doubt that it is your blade, they last a long time!  What screw did you loosen?  Are you pulling on the fabric as you sew?  A good rule is to watch the fabric and inch or so in front of the blade and guide it, It also helps if you draw a line on the fabric leaving at least an inch to serge off.  And yes, go take the class!  You will learn something new I'm sure.  

Pressure foot pressure should be adjusted lower for the thickness of the fabrics. (If the dial is on top, turn it to the left to loosen) Tension, you just have to play with it on scrap to get it to look correct.  If you use different colors of thread, you can see the stitches better and be able to set your tensions easier.

monalisasus
by Member on Nov. 1, 2011 at 11:40 PM

ill play around some more...the book said to loosen this scew inside or change pressure for thick fabric maybe ill forgo the screw. I hate the tension for normal serging of one layer of cotton it says to use 4,4,4,4 but i have to use 4,4,9,9 to lookright. i think i have much user error. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN