Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

This Weekend

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 8:55 PM
  • 7 Replies
2 moms liked this

We are doing a diabetes walk for the cure this weekend. Here is the web  site to find your local Diabetes walk

http://stepout.diabetes.org/site/PageServer?pagename=OUT_homepage

Walk with us on September 24, 2011
Registration/Check-in Opens: 7:30am     Walk Starts: 9am   

Day of Event Schedule:                        

7:30am - Registration/Check-in Opens                                                                                                                     
              Health & Wellness Fair Begins
              Team Photos Available                                                                                
              Breakfast Opens at the Food Tent
              Special Entertainment by Radio Disney

Radio Disney

8:45am - Opening Ceremony

9:00am - Walk Begins

10:00am - Live music from the band No Cash Value

10:30am - Closing Ceremony

11:30am - Step Out Festivities End

CPK LogoSaturday, September 24th AND Sunday, September 25th, ALL DAY - Visit California Pizza Kitchen at Country Club Plaza or Park Place for lunch or dinner, and 20% of your check will be donated to the American Diabetes Association. All you have to do is present the fundraising flyer to your server.  Click here to download the flyer.

Event Details:

Walk Route: The walk begins and ends at Theis Park, and the route is approximately 2.5 miles.  View Route Map

Parking - Street parking is available, or in the following lots:
     1.)  Kauffman Foundation - 4801 Rockhill Rd
     2.)  Kauffman Gardens - 4800 Rockhill Rd
     3.)  Missouri Department of Conservation - 4750 Troost Ave
     4.)  Nelson-Atkins Parking Garage ($5) - 4525 Oak St

Registration/Check-in - All participants must register at the Registration Tent, located at the South end of the park. If you have already registered online, please check-in at the Registration Tent to turn-in your collection envelope or sign an event waiver, as well as pick-up your event t-shirt ($100 and above fundraisers). Champions to Stop Diabetes

VIP Registration/Check-in - Located on the far left side of the Registration Tent, and available to all Champions to Stop Diabetes®  (those  individuals those raise $1,000 and above) and their team members. Make sure to pick-up your special Champions to Stop Diabetes® commemorative medal at the Registration Tent.

Red Striders - Red Striders are those living with diabetes who participate in Step Out - they are the reason why we walk! If you'd like to be recognized as a Red Strider on the day of the event, make sure the visit the Red Strider tent, located in the middle of the park, and pick up your Red Strider hat (new Red Striders) or Red Strider hat pin (returning Red Striders).

Register Today and Begin Fundraising!

In more than 40 states from coast to coast, more than 130,000 walkers will be helping to find a cure for this deadly disease. Join us and your support will make a difference to the 25.8 million Americans who suffer from diabetes. Become a part of Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes and start making your contribution to Stop Diabetes. Once you register, you can use our online fundraising tools to create your Personal Web Page, email your friends, family and co-workers, accept online donations and raise more money to Stop Diabetes.

It's more fun to Step Out together!
Gather your friends, family and co-workers and form a Step Out team! It's a great way to do something good together and share in a fun and healthy community experience.

When you walk, you help Stop Diabetes.
Walking is one of the easiest, most relaxing forms of exercise for many people, but especially for those living with diabetes. Walking helps control blood glucose levels in people with diabetes and improves overall quality of life. It is also an activity that can help prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes in people at risk.

Online Fundraising Helpful Tools:

Participant Center Guide                    Fundraising Guide  new!
Participant Center FAQ                      Team Captain's Guide  new!
Online Fundraising Quick Guide 

Did you know? If you raise $100, you'll receive the official 2011 Step Out t-shirt!               T-shirt

Do you have off-line donations to turn in? If so, please mail or drop off cash and checks to:

American Diabetes Association
     Attn: Step Out Walk
     10580 Barkley, Suite 400
     Overland Park, KS  66212

***Please include a note letting us know which walker to credit the funds to***

Have questions about Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes? Contact Leslie Helmer at 913-383-8210 ext. 6842 or lhelmer@diabetes.org.

Register Fundraise Stop Diabetes
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Audreesmommy757
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 9:01 PM
Looks like a fun day..im doing one in oct for the local spca..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillg24
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

DS & I do the Cancer walks as well as the MS ones, this is our first year doing one for diabetes. We found out this year that my step mom has diabetes

Quoting Audreesmommy757:

StephanAndCoral
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 9:59 PM

that is so awesome of you I hope one day I will feel well enough to attempt to do a walk. My children and shawn did one for muscular dystrophy years ago. the more recent ones shawn would try for extra hours at work, or be at work, or home taking care of me.

Audreesmommy757
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 10:04 PM

aww i hope you start feeling better ..

that is so awesome of you I hope one day I will feel well enough to attempt to do a walk. My children and shawn did one for muscular dystrophy years ago. the more recent ones shawn would try for extra hours at work, or be at work, or home taking care of me.

Audreesmommy757
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 10:05 PM

well i think your doing an awesome thing!

Quoting jillg24:

DS & I do the Cancer walks as well as the MS ones, this is our first year doing one for diabetes. We found out this year that my step mom has diabetes

Quoting Audreesmommy757:

StephanAndCoral
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Thank you! unfortunately the last I spoke with the Orthopedic Surgeon he said this looks as if it will be permanent and he is afraid if he does the only surgery there is for it that it will make it 100 times worse or paralyze me. As far as I have been told he is one of the best here. He said there is one other thing to try not a guarentee in the world it would work but to try weight loss surgery and it could help but with no income other then my spouse's there isn't any way I can even fathom it because of the cost and continueing costs afterwards. I am also terrfied. but I have got off my BC which 2 drs said is my cause for weight gain (that or thyroid but can't tell until I get off BC) My husband got a vasectomy so that I could (had discussed being done anyway but didn't have the money for my tubal his was free because of income limits don't understand it but whatever) and they said it could take a year+ to get out of my system :( but here it is 8 months later and I lost 5lbs :) I know it isn't alot but for me it is I am use to gaining 5+ every month. sorry so long hugs!

Quoting Audreesmommy757:

aww i hope you start feeling better ..

momofsixangels
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 6:15 AM

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)