Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When Morals collide...who's right?

Posted by   + Show Post

Are you familiar with the group One Million Moms? The bill themselves as guardians of the family friendly, and have successfully had advertising pulled from shows such as Glee, The Shield, and FX programming.

It appears their group is slightly smaller than a million, averaging about 50,000 members.

Their latest target is JCPenney: Penney's recently partnered with Ellen Degeneres as their newest spokesperson as part of a brand change initiative. Ellen is notoriously big hearted and has given away stacks of cash to families in need throughout the recession. 

One million moms says she doesn't "stand for the majority" of Penney's shoppers and wants her fired, because she's lesbian.

I get that they want the family friendly maintained, but I think that they're trying to foist their morals on to others. Why have advertising pulled from shows you aren't even watching if you don't want to police what the rest of the world is? Or are they watching the shows, "just for the advertising" to find out who offends them?

Penney's turned them down, by the way, so their latest tactic is harrassing the store managers. 

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Replies (261-270):
smilesmi87
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:34 PM
3 moms liked this
This right here shows why there are so many issues in the world. We are so concerned with who's book is right when it's only paper with outdated words. People are so busy telling others they are wrong to love the same sex when we should be focusing on how to feed starving children and the rich 1% controlling everything. I'm glad JCP told those people to shove it and took a stand. I only wish those so called family friendly would focus on real issues like men beating their wives and children or the kids sold into sex industry or starving in an alley. Or the forgotten ones in the system.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mommy_me:

Quoting RainGirl:

Wow. I wouldn't care if my kids were gay. If that's what makes them happy, so be it.

You have a very twisted view on life if you feel the constant need to shove things down people's throats and try to make them miserable. How does it benefit you? Do you get some sick satisfaction out of hate?

Quoting mommy_me:

Quoting mommyducky9:

Holy shit; you are a true sociopath and you represent everything that is wrong with America! You should have your kids taken from you! You are an abomination!

Quoting LosAngelesMomma:

Who cares how much money Ellen Degeneres has written off on her tax returns.  Everyone knows that donating to charity is a great way to make yourself look good and wholesome.  Ellen Degeneres is in fact a homosexual and being gay is not considered wholesome because her sexual activities are perverted. Would you support a person who practices beastiality too?  So, perhaps there will be a backlash against JC Penney's gay-loving executives who are probably gay for specifically choosing her as the spokesperson for the all-new JCPenney which is being revamped with an Americana feel.  It means that America is gay whether we like it or not.  They are shoving down our throat their perverted version of Americans.  I don't want to encourage my kid to go down that sexual path.  It means being on the same sexual emotional tone level as a child molestor.  Two women cannot have sex together and conceive a child together. That is the truth. It is perverted sexual behavior. 

TO LOS ANGELASMOMMA- I can only hope one of your children turn out to be gay! Really! Because maybe then you will change your views. AND JFYI, two win can have sex and have a baby, all they need is a turkey baster, right?  ;) LOLZ

i dont care if my kids would be gay either, Losangelasmomma does tho, read her quote and u might realise that she is the one bashing gays not me. i simply stated in my own way karma is a bitch and i hope the way she gay bashes comes back to bite her in the ass. i dont need anyone to agree on my views i just want the ignorant ones such as these to stop.

Homosexuality is only considered 'unwholesome' by bigots and homophobes. I totally agree, mommy_me: LA Momma is coming across as an angry, judgemental person, with no better things to focus on in her life than creating divisions between people.

My great aunt and her husband had sex together, too... and the miracle of events that would have needed to happen before they could conceive (at 90 and 87 years of age) is far more intense than any pair of fertile lesbians need. That doesn't mean their sex was perverted, it means LA Momma is seeing an extremely one-dimensional and intolerant view of the world. 

I would care if my children were gay. Just as I'd care if they are not. Because I care about my children.

mommyducky9
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM
Well said! :)

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting mommy_me:

Quoting RainGirl:

Wow. I wouldn't care if my kids were gay. If that's what makes them happy, so be it.

You have a very twisted view on life if you feel the constant need to shove things down people's throats and try to make them miserable. How does it benefit you? Do you get some sick satisfaction out of hate?

Quoting mommy_me:

Quoting mommyducky9:

Holy shit; you are a true sociopath and you represent everything that is wrong with America! You should have your kids taken from you! You are an abomination!

Quoting LosAngelesMomma:

Who cares how much money Ellen Degeneres has written off on her tax returns.  Everyone knows that donating to charity is a great way to make yourself look good and wholesome.  Ellen Degeneres is in fact a homosexual and being gay is not considered wholesome because her sexual activities are perverted. Would you support a person who practices beastiality too?  So, perhaps there will be a backlash against JC Penney's gay-loving executives who are probably gay for specifically choosing her as the spokesperson for the all-new JCPenney which is being revamped with an Americana feel.  It means that America is gay whether we like it or not.  They are shoving down our throat their perverted version of Americans.  I don't want to encourage my kid to go down that sexual path.  It means being on the same sexual emotional tone level as a child molestor.  Two women cannot have sex together and conceive a child together. That is the truth. It is perverted sexual behavior. 

TO LOS ANGELASMOMMA- I can only hope one of your children turn out to be gay! Really! Because maybe then you will change your views. AND JFYI, two win can have sex and have a baby, all they need is a turkey baster, right?  ;) LOLZ

i dont care if my kids would be gay either, Losangelasmomma does tho, read her quote and u might realise that she is the one bashing gays not me. i simply stated in my own way karma is a bitch and i hope the way she gay bashes comes back to bite her in the ass. i dont need anyone to agree on my views i just want the ignorant ones such as these to stop.

Homosexuality is only considered 'unwholesome' by bigots and homophobes. I totally agree, mommy_me: LA Momma is coming across as an angry, judgemental person, with no better things to focus on in her life than creating divisions between people.

My great aunt and her husband had sex together, too... and the miracle of events that would have needed to happen before they could conceive (at 90 and 87 years of age) is far more intense than any pair of fertile lesbians need. That doesn't mean their sex was perverted, it means LA Momma is seeing an extremely one-dimensional and intolerant view of the world. 

I would care if my children were gay. Just as I'd care if they are not. Because I care about my children.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicole8577
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Do not judge others or I too will judge you in front of my father!!!!! Enough said!!!!! Ellen is a good person!!!! Rock on Ellen for all tge people you have helped and inspired!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyheamma
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:39 PM

If the advertisements are discussing the fact that she's a lesbian, I'd want them pulled. Not something I want my children subjected to at their current ages. If it's just because she's a lesbian, then leave the article. Not all good people conform to my personal beliefs.

harehelper
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I totally agree with you that their actions are not loving or proper, I'm sorry if I came across like I was agreeing with them. While it seems to me that their motivation, cleaner content in the media I believe, are admirable, I do not believe that the end justify the means, which they seem to. I think they are giving true Christians a bad name.

Quoting AnimeMom228:

I completely understand where you are coming from, but what I really wanted to get across was that they are passing judgement not only onto Ellen, but also punishing the managers of the store by harassing.  That doesn't really seem like loving the person.  I am Christian as well.  I have never been raised to look at those who are homosexual as sinning.  I understand where people are coming from with that, but I just don't agree with it.  I believe that we each have our other half we must find in this lifetime.  If that person happens to be of the same gender, so be it.  Mind you, I don't mean to have a religious debate on how to treat lesbians or gays, but I do mean to point out that the way the group is going about it is not right.  It is also said to turn the other cheek.  They are not doing this if they are harassing managers, especially since the decision was most lakely made not by the store managers, but by the company's CEO. 

Quoting harehelper:

You are absolutely right, the Bible does say that. It also says that a sin is a sin is a sin, period, and that everyone screws up at some time or another. Matthew 7:1 says: "Do not judge, or you too will be judged."

The Bible teaches that we are to hate the actions, but love the person committing the actions, even when we know it is wrong.  It's a fine line to walk, but it's completely possible. I am a Christian, and I believe the homeosexual lifestyle goes against God's laws. But I have gay friends that are sweet, caring people, and as a fallible human being I have no right to condemn them.

Quoting AnimeMom228:

I'm sorry, but also in the bible (as some have pointed out, it says let him without sin cast the first stone.  I'm sorry, but in my opinion, that means don't persecute someone else for something you deem wrong when you have done a few things yourself.  Also, before anyone tries bashing me saying the little things they do aren't as bad as being a lesbian, sorry, we are just human & don't get to decide for god what is worse than what.  I understand some may not like that & don't want their kids seeing that or having that promoted, but don't harass store managers.  Sorry, it isn't something that is going to be physically harmful to your child.  If what they do is such a big deal, just stop shopping there & tell friends who believe the same thing to do that as well. 

harehelper
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:48 PM

No, that's not what it says. God said that even though mankind had become evil and He had to punish them, it still broke his heart to have to do so. He made the rainbow as a sign of the covenant He was making with Noah, that he would never again destroy the earth with a  flood. Besides, even if He had stated that He was 'wrong" how does changing your mind make you someone different or changed? You don't consider yourself a different person every time you change your plans, do you?

Malachi 3:6 I the Lord do not change.

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Go read your bible and than say God never changes. it shows him changing RIGHT IN THE BIBLE! He was like NOAH BUILD A BOAT, IM KILLIN' THEM ALL. Than he said, I am making a RAINBOW to remind me that was the WRONG THING TO DO. OOPS. He evolved. He sent Jesus to Earth, suddenly the no eating pork stuff, the no killing your kid for cursing you or hitting you became null in void. He changed.

Quoting harehelper:

What if you don't believe in evolution? Yes, we are made in God's image, but God's image doesn't change. God does not follow us, we follow him. He is the one that is divine, we are simply human. Obviously, you have already stated you don't believe in the Bible, but the Bible states that God DOES NOT change, period.

Quoting s.adams83:

I have never heard that argument before.  That is a little food for thought.  

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Unless Ellen is yanking down her pants and saying girls lick this, I dont see how it isn't family friendly entertainment. Ellen is not a bad person. The Bible also says, KELLY913 - TO KILL YOUR CHILDREN WHEN THEY CURSE YOU. The bible is NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. Period. God created us in his image. I believe that, do you? We evolve. Therefore, God evolves. The Bible is VERY outdated. It has some good ideas. But things like eating pork, killing your kids if they raise a hand to you, etc, are VERY WRONG and OLD FASHIONED. If we evolve, God evolves too, because we are made IN HIS IMAGE. God loves his children unconditionally. Sometimes they are punished, but not for loving someone else who just happens to be of the "same sex". I think damnation and hell are reserved for people like men who beat the living shit out of their wives, women and men who molest small children, Hitler, etc.

fanci64
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Im a bit confused myself I would not associate myself with your group for anything in this world. Not only do I love Ellen and believe in everything she stands for but I am also an atheist and believe in not a damn thing that you are spewing. So your definatley barking up the wrong tree darlin. Your group is nothing but bigots and haters. And I feel sorry for your children and the homes that they are being forced to grow up in. Go to the goodwill there a christian run store arent they. Oh wait poor and degenrate people go there you probably dont want your children around them either.

Quoting SisterPeach:

I'm so confused....

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Excuse me, I absolutely can understand your frustration and I'm so sorry if this was your first impression of our group but I can speak on behalf of myself and all the other mods, at least, we are not hateful, we are all open minded individuals. Please don't let this deter you from our group!

Quoting fanci64:

Ellen is a very loving and caring "human" being. Just as we all are human beings. This group are nothing but hate mongers and if they feel so strongly dont shop there. And the rest of us will shop there more to support JCPenneys for sticking up for what is right. Dont always think of pennys to shop because I dont like the mall but because of this group and because of pennys not bowing down to the bullys and staying strong for Ellen I did all my shopping there for the valentines day season. And will think about them first next time. So I guess your bully ploy backfired didnt it. Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
harehelper
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:03 PM

That's actually not what it says, BTW. I covered this already in my other reply to your post, but here it is again, LOL. Aside from the fact that God never says He felt He was being too harsh, do you consider yourself a different or changed person every time you change your mind or re-do your plans? If you were planning on going out shopping tomorrow, but got up that morning and didn't feel like going, does that make you a different person?

You don't have to take my word for it of course, you can look it up here: www.biblica.com/niv/  The story of the covenant with Noah is in Genesis chapter 8.

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

And if God made a new deal with her peeps, he CHANGED. He had to. He decided he was being TOO HARSH, and changed everything. Same thing with the rainbow. He used that as a rememberance to never again destroy the Earth in that way. Why? Cause he saw it was TOO HARSH and he CHANGED.

Quoting harehelper:

No, the mistake was not His, it was man's. God did not choose for human beings to turn against Him, but because He loves us, he allowed man to have the choice of whether or not they would follow Him. When Jesus came to earth, you are right-THINGS changed. Not God. He made a new covenant with mankind.

BTW, about the pork thing, Acts 10 says that these animals (pigs, etc) are no longer "unclean" because God has made them clean. So we are fine to eat pork. :)

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Right, thats why when he made the flood, he realized it was a mistake. Or when Jesus showed up, things changed like crazy. Because God NEVER changes. SO KILL YOUR KIDS IF THEY CURSE YOU! AND NEVER EVER EAT PORK!

Quoting mommyto2gr8ones:

Actually, we were originally made in His image, you are correct on that.  Then we did something we shouldn't have, we ate of the fruit we were not intended to.  We began a quest for KNOWLEDGE over LIFE and that is why we "evolve", not b/c God evolves.  God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.  I'm very thankful that He doesn't change His mind and flits with every whim like we, as humans, do.  Are you a born again christian?  I'm really amazed at your response in saying that the Bible is not always right and that it is outdated with just some good ideas (which makes sense if you are not, I guess).  Also quite amazed with who you believe hell is reserved for.  Have you read the Bible at all?  Or are you going based off what others have told you it says?

As for the OP's post, I'm with whoever said I don't really care who thier spokesperson is b/c that has no bearing on where I spend my money.  I think this OMM group is just like any other group out there trying to make a difference in the world but maybe they should not resort to harrassment in order to change something.  JCP says no, they won't change their mind.  Maybe its just time to call for a boycott for those that will join and be done with it. 

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Unless Ellen is yanking down her pants and saying girls lick this, I dont see how it isn't family friendly entertainment. Ellen is not a bad person. The Bible also says, KELLY913 - TO KILL YOUR CHILDREN WHEN THEY CURSE YOU. The bible is NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. Period. God created us in his image. I believe that, do you? We evolve. Therefore, God evolves. The Bible is VERY outdated. It has some good ideas. But things like eating pork, killing your kids if they raise a hand to you, etc, are VERY WRONG and OLD FASHIONED. If we evolve, God evolves too, because we are made IN HIS IMAGE. God loves his children unconditionally. Sometimes they are punished, but not for loving someone else who just happens to be of the "same sex". I think damnation and hell are reserved for people like men who beat the living shit out of their wives, women and men who molest small children, Hitler, etc.

harehelper
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:27 PM

The instructions about not wearing blended fabrics was specifically aimed at the garments that the Jewish priests wore while they carried out their duties in the temple, and it does still apply.

They were only allowed to keep slaves for  a certain amount of time, and then it was mandatory to free them. Which would make it more like indentured servitude in today's terminology. There were strict laws/rules about how you could treat your slaves too, if you abused them or even didn't feed them properly you were accountable and could suffer serious punishments. You also have to realize, some of those slaves sold THEMSELVES into slavery, because they were so poor that they would starve otherwise.

Not all of us pick and choose what we want to follow from the Bible. I don't have any more problem with gays than I do with anyone else that isn't following the Bible, and that is most people these days. I have said this many times before, and I'm sure I will say it again, but I never condemn anyone for how they live. Not being even close to perfect myself, I don't have that right. If they are living something that goes against God's laws, that is between them and God, not me.

Quoting itsrtimedownher:

what about wearing poly-cotton blends? does the bible void that one out somewhere else too? what about owning slaves as long as they are from another country? 

honestly, there are no 2 ways about it. people pick and choose what they want to follow in the bible. people think gays are icky so they claim the bible tells them they have to think that.

Quoting harehelper:

Read my post right below yours, it addresses the pork/bacon thing. :)

Quoting itsrtimedownher:

i REALLY wonder how many people saying "the bible is always right" ate bacon for breakfast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)