Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When Morals collide...who's right?

Posted by   + Show Post

Are you familiar with the group One Million Moms? The bill themselves as guardians of the family friendly, and have successfully had advertising pulled from shows such as Glee, The Shield, and FX programming.

It appears their group is slightly smaller than a million, averaging about 50,000 members.

Their latest target is JCPenney: Penney's recently partnered with Ellen Degeneres as their newest spokesperson as part of a brand change initiative. Ellen is notoriously big hearted and has given away stacks of cash to families in need throughout the recession. 

One million moms says she doesn't "stand for the majority" of Penney's shoppers and wants her fired, because she's lesbian.

I get that they want the family friendly maintained, but I think that they're trying to foist their morals on to others. Why have advertising pulled from shows you aren't even watching if you don't want to police what the rest of the world is? Or are they watching the shows, "just for the advertising" to find out who offends them?

Penney's turned them down, by the way, so their latest tactic is harrassing the store managers. 

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Replies (271-280):
Audreesmommy757
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:30 PM

noah.....the fictional charector who "built a huge boat"...with 2 of every kind of animal...who had no problems with any of the animals eating each other...or being eaten himself..people who hide behind the bible to justify predjudice and hatred are indeed predjudiced and for some reason think a fairy tale book gives them the right to be...lol..its crazy..

Quoting harehelper:

That's actually not what it says, BTW. I covered this already in my other reply to your post, but here it is again, LOL. Aside from the fact that God never says He felt He was being too harsh, do you consider yourself a different or changed person every time you change your mind or re-do your plans? If you were planning on going out shopping tomorrow, but got up that morning and didn't feel like going, does that make you a different person?

You don't have to take my word for it of course, you can look it up here: www.biblica.com/niv/  The story of the covenant with Noah is in Genesis chapter 8.

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

And if God made a new deal with her peeps, he CHANGED. He had to. He decided he was being TOO HARSH, and changed everything. Same thing with the rainbow. He used that as a rememberance to never again destroy the Earth in that way. Why? Cause he saw it was TOO HARSH and he CHANGED.

Quoting harehelper:

No, the mistake was not His, it was man's. God did not choose for human beings to turn against Him, but because He loves us, he allowed man to have the choice of whether or not they would follow Him. When Jesus came to earth, you are right-THINGS changed. Not God. He made a new covenant with mankind.

BTW, about the pork thing, Acts 10 says that these animals (pigs, etc) are no longer "unclean" because God has made them clean. So we are fine to eat pork. :)

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Right, thats why when he made the flood, he realized it was a mistake. Or when Jesus showed up, things changed like crazy. Because God NEVER changes. SO KILL YOUR KIDS IF THEY CURSE YOU! AND NEVER EVER EAT PORK!

Quoting mommyto2gr8ones:

Actually, we were originally made in His image, you are correct on that.  Then we did something we shouldn't have, we ate of the fruit we were not intended to.  We began a quest for KNOWLEDGE over LIFE and that is why we "evolve", not b/c God evolves.  God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.  I'm very thankful that He doesn't change His mind and flits with every whim like we, as humans, do.  Are you a born again christian?  I'm really amazed at your response in saying that the Bible is not always right and that it is outdated with just some good ideas (which makes sense if you are not, I guess).  Also quite amazed with who you believe hell is reserved for.  Have you read the Bible at all?  Or are you going based off what others have told you it says?

As for the OP's post, I'm with whoever said I don't really care who thier spokesperson is b/c that has no bearing on where I spend my money.  I think this OMM group is just like any other group out there trying to make a difference in the world but maybe they should not resort to harrassment in order to change something.  JCP says no, they won't change their mind.  Maybe its just time to call for a boycott for those that will join and be done with it. 

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Unless Ellen is yanking down her pants and saying girls lick this, I dont see how it isn't family friendly entertainment. Ellen is not a bad person. The Bible also says, KELLY913 - TO KILL YOUR CHILDREN WHEN THEY CURSE YOU. The bible is NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. Period. God created us in his image. I believe that, do you? We evolve. Therefore, God evolves. The Bible is VERY outdated. It has some good ideas. But things like eating pork, killing your kids if they raise a hand to you, etc, are VERY WRONG and OLD FASHIONED. If we evolve, God evolves too, because we are made IN HIS IMAGE. God loves his children unconditionally. Sometimes they are punished, but not for loving someone else who just happens to be of the "same sex". I think damnation and hell are reserved for people like men who beat the living shit out of their wives, women and men who molest small children, Hitler, etc.

harehelper
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Noah had no problems with the animals because God was helping him out. He is good like that, when He tells you to do something and you do it, He will help you and strengthen you for the job.

Anyone who is speaking any kind of hatred or prejudice, against anyone at all, IS NOT following the Bible. I know there are people who behave that way, but trust me, just because someone calls him/herself Christian does not make it true. The Bible tells us repeatedly to LOVE your neighbor, LOVE your spouse, LOVE your children, even to LOVE your enemies.

Quoting Audreesmommy757:

noah.....the fictional charector who "built a huge boat"...with 2 of every kind of animal...who had no problems with any of the animals eating each other...or being eaten himself..people who hide behind the bible to justify predjudice and hatred are indeed predjudiced and for some reason think a fairy tale book gives them the right to be...lol..its crazy..

Quoting harehelper:

That's actually not what it says, BTW. I covered this already in my other reply to your post, but here it is again, LOL. Aside from the fact that God never says He felt He was being too harsh, do you consider yourself a different or changed person every time you change your mind or re-do your plans? If you were planning on going out shopping tomorrow, but got up that morning and didn't feel like going, does that make you a different person?

You don't have to take my word for it of course, you can look it up here: www.biblica.com/niv/  The story of the covenant with Noah is in Genesis chapter 8.

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

And if God made a new deal with her peeps, he CHANGED. He had to. He decided he was being TOO HARSH, and changed everything. Same thing with the rainbow. He used that as a rememberance to never again destroy the Earth in that way. Why? Cause he saw it was TOO HARSH and he CHANGED.

Quoting harehelper:

No, the mistake was not His, it was man's. God did not choose for human beings to turn against Him, but because He loves us, he allowed man to have the choice of whether or not they would follow Him. When Jesus came to earth, you are right-THINGS changed. Not God. He made a new covenant with mankind.

BTW, about the pork thing, Acts 10 says that these animals (pigs, etc) are no longer "unclean" because God has made them clean. So we are fine to eat pork. :)

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Right, thats why when he made the flood, he realized it was a mistake. Or when Jesus showed up, things changed like crazy. Because God NEVER changes. SO KILL YOUR KIDS IF THEY CURSE YOU! AND NEVER EVER EAT PORK!

Quoting mommyto2gr8ones:

Actually, we were originally made in His image, you are correct on that.  Then we did something we shouldn't have, we ate of the fruit we were not intended to.  We began a quest for KNOWLEDGE over LIFE and that is why we "evolve", not b/c God evolves.  God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.  I'm very thankful that He doesn't change His mind and flits with every whim like we, as humans, do.  Are you a born again christian?  I'm really amazed at your response in saying that the Bible is not always right and that it is outdated with just some good ideas (which makes sense if you are not, I guess).  Also quite amazed with who you believe hell is reserved for.  Have you read the Bible at all?  Or are you going based off what others have told you it says?

As for the OP's post, I'm with whoever said I don't really care who thier spokesperson is b/c that has no bearing on where I spend my money.  I think this OMM group is just like any other group out there trying to make a difference in the world but maybe they should not resort to harrassment in order to change something.  JCP says no, they won't change their mind.  Maybe its just time to call for a boycott for those that will join and be done with it. 

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Unless Ellen is yanking down her pants and saying girls lick this, I dont see how it isn't family friendly entertainment. Ellen is not a bad person. The Bible also says, KELLY913 - TO KILL YOUR CHILDREN WHEN THEY CURSE YOU. The bible is NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. Period. God created us in his image. I believe that, do you? We evolve. Therefore, God evolves. The Bible is VERY outdated. It has some good ideas. But things like eating pork, killing your kids if they raise a hand to you, etc, are VERY WRONG and OLD FASHIONED. If we evolve, God evolves too, because we are made IN HIS IMAGE. God loves his children unconditionally. Sometimes they are punished, but not for loving someone else who just happens to be of the "same sex". I think damnation and hell are reserved for people like men who beat the living shit out of their wives, women and men who molest small children, Hitler, etc.

Audreesmommy757
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM

lol..im not a big bible follower but i do agree with you!

Quoting harehelper:

Noah had no problems with the animals because God was helping him out. He is good like that, when He tells you to do something and you do it, He will help you and strengthen you for the job.

Anyone who is speaking any kind of hatred or prejudice, against anyone at all, IS NOT following the Bible. I know there are people who behave that way, but trust me, just because someone calls him/herself Christian does not make it true. The Bible tells us repeatedly to LOVE your neighbor, LOVE your spouse, LOVE your children, even to LOVE your enemies.

Quoting Audreesmommy757:

Quoting harehelper:

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Quoting harehelper:

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Quoting mommyto2gr8ones:

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

KenzieQsMommy
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I sincerely hope this was a misunderstanding.

I am not, nor will I ever be a part of One Million Moms group. I was referring to this group, here on CafeMom. Hope that clears something up.

I'm a big Ellen fan myself and a proud supporter of the LGBT community.

Quoting fanci64:

Im a bit confused myself I would not associate myself with your group for anything in this world. Not only do I love Ellen and believe in everything she stands for but I am also an atheist and believe in not a damn thing that you are spewing. So your definatley barking up the wrong tree darlin. Your group is nothing but bigots and haters. And I feel sorry for your children and the homes that they are being forced to grow up in. Go to the goodwill there a christian run store arent they. Oh wait poor and degenrate people go there you probably dont want your children around them either.

Quoting SisterPeach:

I'm so confused....

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Excuse me, I absolutely can understand your frustration and I'm so sorry if this was your first impression of our group but I can speak on behalf of myself and all the other mods, at least, we are not hateful, we are all open minded individuals. Please don't let this deter you from our group!

Quoting fanci64:

Ellen is a very loving and caring "human" being. Just as we all are human beings. This group are nothing but hate mongers and if they feel so strongly dont shop there. And the rest of us will shop there more to support JCPenneys for sticking up for what is right. Dont always think of pennys to shop because I dont like the mall but because of this group and because of pennys not bowing down to the bullys and staying strong for Ellen I did all my shopping there for the valentines day season. And will think about them first next time. So I guess your bully ploy backfired didnt it. Lol

harehelper
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Thanks. :) It just really frustates me when people think that just because I am a Christian that automatically means I hate certain groups of people.

Quoting Audreesmommy757:

lol..im not a big bible follower but i do agree with you!

Quoting harehelper:

Quoting Audreesmommy757:

Quoting harehelper:

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Quoting harehelper:

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Quoting mommyto2gr8ones:

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

LosAngelesMomma
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Ellen Degeneres does not represent the average mother in America. She's too Butch to represent even an aggresive, competitive soccer mom!   JCPenney's needs someone younger and hipper than her who appeals to a broader more diverse ethnic population.  Why not a Man?  Maybe that's why they went with her because she is a cross between a Butch woman and a man!

The new JCPenney CEO is responsible for the Apple Store design. He also turned around Target and others on his new team worked at Abercrombie Fitch.  They know what they are doing marketing-wise and other-wise to get their new investment into an old company noticed.  The stores are going to change drastically from what they look like today.  They just changed the prices, but the stores will be hurting until people are willing to change their minds about the new set-up and customer experience.  In the meantime, they need all the publicity they can get.

There are too many sexually perverted practitioners like homosexuals practicing their sexual art of expression to be illegal.  This country has already condoned homosexual marriage and it will continue to raise gays up to the highest of pedestals because even in California, the kids are now forced to learn about GAY HISTORY!  Truthfully, child molestors are on the order of homosexual.  Remember all those Catholic Priests who molested boys?  How about all those MALE teachers recently who've been arrested or fired for molesting more boys?  Think about it.  I don't want to push homosexuality on my child.  It's perverted and two homosexuals cannot create a child with their bodies, they can only get  each other inseminated artificially or adopt.  

It's a bad example to make someone like Ellen Degeneres promote herself.  She is the spokesperson and that truly means the new management team, the executives at this All-American company truly support her.  So that means there must be homosexuality or perverts up in the top ranks of that company.  Keep in mind that the new CEO bought into millions of shares at the company so he is really calling the shots.  They could have hired famous, dedicated, successful mothers who would appeal more broadly like Kirstey Alley, Uma Thurman, Christy Brinkley, Kelly Preston, Beyonce, Mariah Carey, Courtney Cox, Madonna, Angelina Jolie, Iman, Cindy Crawford, Cybil Shepard, Jessica Alba (who has started a new website called The Honest Company with her own wholesome products), Jennifer Lopez, Jennifer Garner, the list goes on and on.  

Keep in mind that making a controversial figure like Degeneres the spokesperson of an All-American company will actually cause more buzz.  That's exactly what JCPenney needs...publicity.  Not to mention that this woman has a show on the air which will probably have her mentioning her new gig to her millions of watchers. 

skagley
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

It would be nice if this group took all their energy and focused on stopping human trafficking that sells women and young girls into sex slavery instead of worrying about the sexual orientation of a store's spokesperson.

brittneyk86
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I am apart of one called "One Million Moms for Ellen" or something of that nature! 

Quoting ..guesswho..:

I love Ellen. I don't like OMM. There is a fb page called one million moms against one million moms.

TLandBabyGwen
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Love ALL, period

BetaAlpha
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Those 50,000 can kiss my ass.. Ellen is AWESOME. Her sexuality does not change her as a person... and she is truely amazing.. Did you see her make a statement on her show about it last week?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)