Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When Morals collide...who's right?

Posted by   + Show Post

Are you familiar with the group One Million Moms? The bill themselves as guardians of the family friendly, and have successfully had advertising pulled from shows such as Glee, The Shield, and FX programming.

It appears their group is slightly smaller than a million, averaging about 50,000 members.

Their latest target is JCPenney: Penney's recently partnered with Ellen Degeneres as their newest spokesperson as part of a brand change initiative. Ellen is notoriously big hearted and has given away stacks of cash to families in need throughout the recession. 

One million moms says she doesn't "stand for the majority" of Penney's shoppers and wants her fired, because she's lesbian.

I get that they want the family friendly maintained, but I think that they're trying to foist their morals on to others. Why have advertising pulled from shows you aren't even watching if you don't want to police what the rest of the world is? Or are they watching the shows, "just for the advertising" to find out who offends them?

Penney's turned them down, by the way, so their latest tactic is harrassing the store managers. 

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Replies (281-290):
marshsmom
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I wonder how many gay/lesbian actors/actresses appear in other commerials and tv shows that no one even knows is gay?  One MIllion Mom's is the problem, not Ellen.  No one else is focused on her sexual orientation.  I'm sure Ellen's not announcing on the commercials "Hello, I'm Ellen the lesbian and I shop at JC Penny!"

KenzieQsMommy
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM
It disturbs me that this mentality is still alive in this country. I am utterly disgusted by this response. In the interest of being an adult, I am going to walk away.

And call my gay brother.

Quoting LosAngelesMomma:

Ellen Degeneres does not represent the average mother in America. She's too Butch to represent even an aggresive, competitive soccer mom!   JCPenney's needs someone younger and hipper than her who appeals to a broader more diverse ethnic population.  Why not a Man?  Maybe that's why they went with her because she is a cross between a Butch woman and a man!

The new JCPenney CEO is responsible for the Apple Store design. He also turned around Target and others on his new team worked at Abercrombie Fitch.  They know what they are doing marketing-wise and other-wise to get their new investment into an old company noticed.  The stores are going to change drastically from what they look like today.  They just changed the prices, but the stores will be hurting until people are willing to change their minds about the new set-up and customer experience.  In the meantime, they need all the publicity they can get.

There are too many sexually perverted practitioners like homosexuals practicing their sexual art of expression to be illegal.  This country has already condoned homosexual marriage and it will continue to raise gays up to the highest of pedestals because even in California, the kids are now forced to learn about GAY HISTORY!  Truthfully, child molestors are on the order of homosexual.  Remember all those Catholic Priests who molested boys?  How about all those MALE teachers recently who've been arrested or fired for molesting more boys?  Think about it.  I don't want to push homosexuality on my child.  It's perverted and two homosexuals cannot create a child with their bodies, they can only get  each other inseminated artificially or adopt.  

It's a bad example to make someone like Ellen Degeneres promote herself.  She is the spokesperson and that truly means the new management team, the executives at this All-American company truly support her.  So that means there must be homosexuality or perverts up in the top ranks of that company.  Keep in mind that the new CEO bought into millions of shares at the company so he is really calling the shots.  They could have hired famous, dedicated, successful mothers who would appeal more broadly like Kirstey Alley, Uma Thurman, Christy Brinkley, Kelly Preston, Beyonce, Mariah Carey, Courtney Cox, Madonna, Angelina Jolie, Iman, Cindy Crawford, Cybil Shepard, Jessica Alba (who has started a new website called The Honest Company with her own wholesome products), Jennifer Lopez, Jennifer Garner, the list goes on and on.  

Keep in mind that making a controversial figure like Degeneres the spokesperson of an All-American company will actually cause more buzz.  That's exactly what JCPenney needs...publicity.  Not to mention that this woman has a show on the air which will probably have her mentioning her new gig to her millions of watchers. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Feel free to make a post! That's a great topic!!

Quoting skagley:

It would be nice if this group took all their energy and focused on stopping human trafficking that sells women and young girls into sex slavery instead of worrying about the sexual orientation of a store's spokesperson.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Methinks she doth protest too much...

Quoting LosAngelesMomma:

Ellen Degeneres does not represent the average mother in America. She's too Butch to represent even an aggresive, competitive soccer mom!   JCPenney's needs someone younger and hipper than her who appeals to a broader more diverse ethnic population.  Why not a Man?  Maybe that's why they went with her because she is a cross between a Butch woman and a man!

The new JCPenney CEO is responsible for the Apple Store design. He also turned around Target and others on his new team worked at Abercrombie Fitch.  They know what they are doing marketing-wise and other-wise to get their new investment into an old company noticed.  The stores are going to change drastically from what they look like today.  They just changed the prices, but the stores will be hurting until people are willing to change their minds about the new set-up and customer experience.  In the meantime, they need all the publicity they can get.

There are too many sexually perverted practitioners like homosexuals practicing their sexual art of expression to be illegal.  This country has already condoned homosexual marriage and it will continue to raise gays up to the highest of pedestals because even in California, the kids are now forced to learn about GAY HISTORY!  Truthfully, child molestors are on the order of homosexual.  Remember all those Catholic Priests who molested boys?  How about all those MALE teachers recently who've been arrested or fired for molesting more boys?  Think about it.  I don't want to push homosexuality on my child.  It's perverted and two homosexuals cannot create a child with their bodies, they can only get  each other inseminated artificially or adopt.  

It's a bad example to make someone like Ellen Degeneres promote herself.  She is the spokesperson and that truly means the new management team, the executives at this All-American company truly support her.  So that means there must be homosexuality or perverts up in the top ranks of that company.  Keep in mind that the new CEO bought into millions of shares at the company so he is really calling the shots.  They could have hired famous, dedicated, successful mothers who would appeal more broadly like Kirstey Alley, Uma Thurman, Christy Brinkley, Kelly Preston, Beyonce, Mariah Carey, Courtney Cox, Madonna, Angelina Jolie, Iman, Cindy Crawford, Cybil Shepard, Jessica Alba (who has started a new website called The Honest Company with her own wholesome products), Jennifer Lopez, Jennifer Garner, the list goes on and on.  

Keep in mind that making a controversial figure like Degeneres the spokesperson of an All-American company will actually cause more buzz.  That's exactly what JCPenney needs...publicity.  Not to mention that this woman has a show on the air which will probably have her mentioning her new gig to her millions of watchers. 

You are far more obsessed with other people's sexuality (and what they're doing) than any sex-crazed pervert of any variety I have ever known.

You're mistaken about the order of events involving the children: sexual abusers are all victims of sexual abuse (not all victims go on to become perpetrators, but all perpetrators were abused). 8 in 10 children will have been abused by someone in a position of authority in a sexual manner before they turn 16. Men and women are abusers in approximately equal numbers, and few abusers care what gender the child is when they prefer pre-pubescent victims.

Priests abuse choirboys because that is who is available. They also abuse their authority in inappropriate relationships with vulnerable parishoners, volunteers, nuns and cleaning ladies... if they behave that way, it's how they behave. Teachers abuse both genders. So do coaches, community group leaders, other people's parents, uncles, aunts, neighbours, creeps at the park and medical professionals.

SisterPeach
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I think she means the one million moms group, not us. Although, great topic!

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting skagley:

It would be nice if this group took all their energy and focused on stopping human trafficking that sells women and young girls into sex slavery instead of worrying about the sexual orientation of a store's spokesperson.

KenzieQsMommy
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Oh gosh I don't know why I keep getting so confused. I'm going to do everyone a favor and keep myself out of this post lol.

Quoting SisterPeach:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting skagley:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SisterPeach
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

No, I did the exact same thing. I was like, "you wanna piece of me and my post?" and then I read it again and i was like, Oh. Duh.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Oh gosh I don't know why I keep getting so confused. I'm going to do everyone a favor and keep myself out of this post lol.

Quoting SisterPeach:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting skagley:

kschlag
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I think if someone finds Ellen a problem they have the right to stop shopping at Penney's. 

In the meantime, Penney's can choose whoever they darn well please as a spokesperson. 

And the Million Moms have a right to say what they please - and Penney's can decided whether or not to respond and how.

And I have the right not to listen to the Million Moms (thank God!)

1southpaw
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:26 PM
2 moms liked this

You're right.  Don't shop there if you don't believe in what they stand for, but don't foist your beliefs on thw rest of us.  I believe everyone should live their lives as they see fit, but I woufn't try and make other people believe what I believe.

NoahsMom1215
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM

based on this logic, you would never be able to shop anywhere because no matter who the spokesperson is they will have done something that is in contradiction to the Bible since we are all without sin. I find it more important to teach my child about loving and respecting all humans. Regardless of whether or not you agree with someones lifestyle, you should not discriminate against them. Also, I don't see my child thinking that where I shop has anything to do with my believes about someone on a commercial. I shop based on prices and quality not based on who is on the commercial.

Quoting Kelly913:

I think it becomes an issue of walking out convictions.  Regardless of the particular issue being discussed, if we say one thing, but don't follow it with action, we lose credibility-in our kids' eyes and others.  Is the simple appearance of Ms Degeneres anywhere a problem?  No.  If a child has been taught that homosexuality is a sin, discovers that Ms Degeneres is lesbian, and then wonders why his or her parents shop at the store she represents, would they not question if what's said is truly important?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)