Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

When Morals collide...who's right?

Posted by   + Show Post

Are you familiar with the group One Million Moms? The bill themselves as guardians of the family friendly, and have successfully had advertising pulled from shows such as Glee, The Shield, and FX programming.

It appears their group is slightly smaller than a million, averaging about 50,000 members.

Their latest target is JCPenney: Penney's recently partnered with Ellen Degeneres as their newest spokesperson as part of a brand change initiative. Ellen is notoriously big hearted and has given away stacks of cash to families in need throughout the recession. 

One million moms says she doesn't "stand for the majority" of Penney's shoppers and wants her fired, because she's lesbian.

I get that they want the family friendly maintained, but I think that they're trying to foist their morals on to others. Why have advertising pulled from shows you aren't even watching if you don't want to police what the rest of the world is? Or are they watching the shows, "just for the advertising" to find out who offends them?

Penney's turned them down, by the way, so their latest tactic is harrassing the store managers. 

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Replies (291-300):
NoahsMom1215
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

it is really sad to me when people use "morals" to carryout bigotry. Jesus was about love and compassion. Just sayin.

metalhealthmom
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I like Ellen. I don't care if shes a muffdiver. She's an awesome, generous person. Shes a friggin' role model.
stevensmommy11
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM

There was already a group like that, and it was called the Legion of Decency, and thanks to them we got the Motion Picture Production Code, also known as the Hays Code. And guess what? BOTH were outmoded a long time ago. Times have changed and will keep changing. It is up to the PARENT to teach their children a certain set of morals, whether you are gay, straight, Christian, Wiccan, Muslim, it doesn't freaking matter. Forcing America to conform to a certain set of guidlines takes the right to parent their own child away from mothers and fathers, and NO ONE HAS THAT RIGHT. 

mommajoie
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Ok I don't usually comment but because the Bible came up I'll say something. Yes it does disagree with homosexuality but it also say to love people. As a Christian I don't agree with homosexualtiy but that doesn't mean I don't love Ellen.  She is an amazing person and that is what is important here. She has done so much to support families why shouldn't she be a spokes person for families. I've not seen commercials that she has been in for JCP but I say leave her as a spokes person and those moms need to just monitor what their children are watching and not keep complaining about things and just worry about their house not others.

exsurfbum
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think they're foisting their morals on anyone, if you don't agree with them, don't join their ranks, but I agree with them for the most part -- just like Mr. Miagi says, "Walk on left side of road, safe.  Walk on right side of road, safe.  Walk in middle of road... squished, just like bug."

Seems like Joiseygirl_78 is in the middle of the road....  I got a tip for Joiseygirl_78 -- a little knowledge of the culture and era the Bible was written in would help you understand God's word and not appear ignorant.  :)

dianepix
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM
3 moms liked this

I have a problem when ANY group of people decides that THEY know what's better for me than I do. If you want to not shop at JCP because Ellen is their spokesperson, then so be it. But to foist YOUR idea of what's right on ME?? Uh-uh. AND to make a company fire someone just because she's gay? THAT'S discrimination. If JCP DID fire Ellen... would she then be justified in suing the Million Moms? I'd LOVE to see THAT lawsuit!!!  :-)

LindaClement
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM

There is that...

Quoting NoahsMom1215:

it is really sad to me when people use "morals" to carryout bigotry. Jesus was about love and compassion. Just sayin.

Hannah125
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Personally, I just don't have the time to get so concerned about it.  But everyone has a right to their own feelings.

Hannah ---  P.S. Join the fun, submit a CUTE or FUNNY photo to my website contest. Then encourage your friends to vote and watch the results to see how many viewers vote for your photo. NO entry fee. $2,000 of prizes annually. www.FunnyPhotosContest.com.

KenzieQsMommy
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting stevensmommy11:

There was already a group like that, and it was called the Legion of Decency, and thanks to them we got the Motion Picture Production Code, also known as the Hays Code. And guess what? BOTH were outmoded a long time ago. Times have changed and will keep changing. It is up to the PARENT to teach their children a certain set of morals, whether you are gay, straight, Christian, Wiccan, Muslim, it doesn't freaking matter. Forcing America to conform to a certain set of guidlines takes the right to parent their own child away from mothers and fathers, and NO ONE HAS THAT RIGHT. 

LOVE LOVE LOVE THAT!! Very well said!!

kerryket
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Time to go shopping, just got some birthday money!  I don't need anyone to tell me who or what to support or not support, I will make up my own mind thank you!

Still love Ellen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)