Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

When Morals collide...who's right?

Posted by   + Show Post

Are you familiar with the group One Million Moms? The bill themselves as guardians of the family friendly, and have successfully had advertising pulled from shows such as Glee, The Shield, and FX programming.

It appears their group is slightly smaller than a million, averaging about 50,000 members.

Their latest target is JCPenney: Penney's recently partnered with Ellen Degeneres as their newest spokesperson as part of a brand change initiative. Ellen is notoriously big hearted and has given away stacks of cash to families in need throughout the recession. 

One million moms says she doesn't "stand for the majority" of Penney's shoppers and wants her fired, because she's lesbian.

I get that they want the family friendly maintained, but I think that they're trying to foist their morals on to others. Why have advertising pulled from shows you aren't even watching if you don't want to police what the rest of the world is? Or are they watching the shows, "just for the advertising" to find out who offends them?

Penney's turned them down, by the way, so their latest tactic is harrassing the store managers. 

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Replies (31-40):
KenzieQsMommy
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM
2 moms liked this
Well said.

Quoting SisterPeach:

Only three states still have sodomy laws on the books, and those were invalidated by a supreme court decision in 2003, ruling that  private sexual conduct is protected by liberty rights.  Homosexuality is NOT illegal. Tax Fraud is, not that any one is protesting Martha Stewart or Wesley Snipes.

Quoting Kelly913:

Actually-many states still have anti sodomy laws on the books, so it is a crime in many places.  Regardless of whether a person believes it's a crime, both are still moral issues, right? 

Quoting SisterPeach:

Sexual orientation is not a crime. Tax fraud is a crime. The two don't equate.

Quoting Kelly913:

If the moral in question were something other than sexual orientation, would those reacting so passionately still be so passionate?  Let's say she'd been convicted of tax fraud and a group opposed her representing any company.  Would there still be an outcry over it?

I like the saying, "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything." 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly913
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I think you just made my point. 

Quoting SisterPeach:

Only three states still have sodomy laws on the books, and those were invalidated by a supreme court decision in 2003, ruling that  private sexual conduct is protected by liberty rights.  Homosexuality is NOT illegal. Tax Fraud is, not that any one is protesting Martha Stewart or Wesley Snipes.

Quoting Kelly913:

Actually-many states still have anti sodomy laws on the books, so it is a crime in many places.  Regardless of whether a person believes it's a crime, both are still moral issues, right? 

Quoting SisterPeach:

Sexual orientation is not a crime. Tax fraud is a crime. The two don't equate.

Quoting Kelly913:

If the moral in question were something other than sexual orientation, would those reacting so passionately still be so passionate?  Let's say she'd been convicted of tax fraud and a group opposed her representing any company.  Would there still be an outcry over it?

I like the saying, "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything." 

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

praisinghim2day
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Kelly913:

To answer the question in your title-the Bible has always been right. 

While I do not agree with, or condone homosexuality, the Bible also says to "love one another". I will stick to it. Jmo

I'm divorced mommy of three and there are no "baby daddies". I'm a staunch right wing republican and a professional cosmetologist (hair, nails, makeup etc) working my tail off to make my own way in this world. I breastfed my kids and rewarded myself with a boob job to put back what the breastfeeding fairy took away. I believe in tough love, rules, boundaries, discipline and follow through. My kids do not rule the roost. They say yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes please and no thank you. Because of the values and respect that I've taught them, other people don't mind being around them. I spanked my kids just like my mom spanked me and we've all turned out fine. We're a hard playin', fun lovin' family. This is me, take it or leave it.

LindaClement
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Because you say it as if all of them say the same things --or even have the same books in them.

Which one do you take as the 'absolutly right' one?

Quoting Kelly913:

Not following your question?  Which sect?  Are you asking which translation? 

Quoting LindaClement:

I can find a concordance with 31 versions of the Christian bible. I meant 'which sect's bible?'

Quoting Kelly913:

God's Bible. 

Quoting LindaClement:

Whose bible?

Quoting Kelly913:

Kelly913
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM

If I made a statement that did not show love, please point it out.  

Quoting praisinghim2day:

Quoting Kelly913:

While I do not agree with, or condone homosexuality, the Bible also says to "love one another". I will stick to it. Jmo

ivy801
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM

I'm glad they stuck by their decision and I hope it doesn't change. Some people turn causes in to a way of bullying others in to doing things their way. The only thing that matters to me is the morals at the very core of their being .

Bethsunshine
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:33 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't shop at Penneys anymore; I haven't shopped there for years since they moved from our town into the local mall. Their prices went up when they moved in there so I don't go there anymore. I don't give a flip who their spokesperson is because I don't shop there anyway. I'm not an Ellen fan, but that has nothing to do with why I don't shop at Penneys. Like I said, I haven't shopped there in years. I remember when both Madonna and Michael Jackson were advertising Pepsi, and I didn't like either one, but that didn't stop me from buying Pepsi.Celebrity endorsements have no bearing on my purchasing decisions.
Kelly913
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

The Christian Bible.  The one with 66 books including the Old Testament and the New Testament. 

Quoting LindaClement:

Because you say it as if all of them say the same things --or even have the same books in them.

Which one do you take as the 'absolutly right' one?

Quoting Kelly913:

Not following your question?  Which sect?  Are you asking which translation? 

Quoting LindaClement:

I can find a concordance with 31 versions of the Christian bible. I meant 'which sect's bible?'

Quoting Kelly913:

God's Bible. 

Quoting LindaClement:

Whose bible?

Quoting Kelly913:

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

usmclife58
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:40 AM
15 moms liked this

I LOVE Ellen's response:

"They wanted to get me fired, and I'm proud and happy to say that JCPenney stuck by their decision to make me their spokesperson," she says. "Which is great news for me because I also need some new crew socks."

Reading through several comments written in her defense on the group's Facebook page, she goes on to note, "I usually don't talk about stuff like this on my show, but I really want to thank everyone who is supporting me. Here are the values I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you'd want to be treated and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That's what I stand for."

..guesswho..
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM
2 moms liked this
I love Ellen. I don't like OMM. There is a fb page called one million moms against one million moms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)