Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

When Morals collide...who's right?

Posted by   + Show Post

Are you familiar with the group One Million Moms? The bill themselves as guardians of the family friendly, and have successfully had advertising pulled from shows such as Glee, The Shield, and FX programming.

It appears their group is slightly smaller than a million, averaging about 50,000 members.

Their latest target is JCPenney: Penney's recently partnered with Ellen Degeneres as their newest spokesperson as part of a brand change initiative. Ellen is notoriously big hearted and has given away stacks of cash to families in need throughout the recession. 

One million moms says she doesn't "stand for the majority" of Penney's shoppers and wants her fired, because she's lesbian.

I get that they want the family friendly maintained, but I think that they're trying to foist their morals on to others. Why have advertising pulled from shows you aren't even watching if you don't want to police what the rest of the world is? Or are they watching the shows, "just for the advertising" to find out who offends them?

Penney's turned them down, by the way, so their latest tactic is harrassing the store managers. 

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Replies (51-60):
jazz0201
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 2:52 AM

BUMP!

JoiseyGirl_78
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 4:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Right, thats why when he made the flood, he realized it was a mistake. Or when Jesus showed up, things changed like crazy. Because God NEVER changes. SO KILL YOUR KIDS IF THEY CURSE YOU! AND NEVER EVER EAT PORK!

Quoting mommyto2gr8ones:

Actually, we were originally made in His image, you are correct on that.  Then we did something we shouldn't have, we ate of the fruit we were not intended to.  We began a quest for KNOWLEDGE over LIFE and that is why we "evolve", not b/c God evolves.  God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.  I'm very thankful that He doesn't change His mind and flits with every whim like we, as humans, do.  Are you a born again christian?  I'm really amazed at your response in saying that the Bible is not always right and that it is outdated with just some good ideas (which makes sense if you are not, I guess).  Also quite amazed with who you believe hell is reserved for.  Have you read the Bible at all?  Or are you going based off what others have told you it says?

As for the OP's post, I'm with whoever said I don't really care who thier spokesperson is b/c that has no bearing on where I spend my money.  I think this OMM group is just like any other group out there trying to make a difference in the world but maybe they should not resort to harrassment in order to change something.  JCP says no, they won't change their mind.  Maybe its just time to call for a boycott for those that will join and be done with it. 

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Unless Ellen is yanking down her pants and saying girls lick this, I dont see how it isn't family friendly entertainment. Ellen is not a bad person. The Bible also says, KELLY913 - TO KILL YOUR CHILDREN WHEN THEY CURSE YOU. The bible is NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. Period. God created us in his image. I believe that, do you? We evolve. Therefore, God evolves. The Bible is VERY outdated. It has some good ideas. But things like eating pork, killing your kids if they raise a hand to you, etc, are VERY WRONG and OLD FASHIONED. If we evolve, God evolves too, because we are made IN HIS IMAGE. God loves his children unconditionally. Sometimes they are punished, but not for loving someone else who just happens to be of the "same sex". I think damnation and hell are reserved for people like men who beat the living shit out of their wives, women and men who molest small children, Hitler, etc.

Hildegarde
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 7:32 AM
2 moms liked this
This is nothing but bullying and I doubt God wants anything to do with it. It is illegal to fire someone because they are homosexual, not to mention immoral. Ellen Degeneres is more family friendly with her donations to charity than these self righteous b!tches will ever be. Kudos to JC Penney for standing up to them. Where is the activist group to fight back? There needs to be one!
Jellybean82
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 7:40 AM
2 moms liked this

You also can not wear a cotton/polyester blend or eat at Red Lobster, fyi.

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Right, thats why when he made the flood, he realized it was a mistake. Or when Jesus showed up, things changed like crazy. Because God NEVER changes. SO KILL YOUR KIDS IF THEY CURSE YOU! AND NEVER EVER EAT PORK!

Quoting mommyto2gr8ones:

Actually, we were originally made in His image, you are correct on that.  Then we did something we shouldn't have, we ate of the fruit we were not intended to.  We began a quest for KNOWLEDGE over LIFE and that is why we "evolve", not b/c God evolves.  God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.  I'm very thankful that He doesn't change His mind and flits with every whim like we, as humans, do.  Are you a born again christian?  I'm really amazed at your response in saying that the Bible is not always right and that it is outdated with just some good ideas (which makes sense if you are not, I guess).  Also quite amazed with who you believe hell is reserved for.  Have you read the Bible at all?  Or are you going based off what others have told you it says?

As for the OP's post, I'm with whoever said I don't really care who thier spokesperson is b/c that has no bearing on where I spend my money.  I think this OMM group is just like any other group out there trying to make a difference in the world but maybe they should not resort to harrassment in order to change something.  JCP says no, they won't change their mind.  Maybe its just time to call for a boycott for those that will join and be done with it. 

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Unless Ellen is yanking down her pants and saying girls lick this, I dont see how it isn't family friendly entertainment. Ellen is not a bad person. The Bible also says, KELLY913 - TO KILL YOUR CHILDREN WHEN THEY CURSE YOU. The bible is NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. Period. God created us in his image. I believe that, do you? We evolve. Therefore, God evolves. The Bible is VERY outdated. It has some good ideas. But things like eating pork, killing your kids if they raise a hand to you, etc, are VERY WRONG and OLD FASHIONED. If we evolve, God evolves too, because we are made IN HIS IMAGE. God loves his children unconditionally. Sometimes they are punished, but not for loving someone else who just happens to be of the "same sex". I think damnation and hell are reserved for people like men who beat the living shit out of their wives, women and men who molest small children, Hitler, etc.

rebmarie90
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Quoting gmadiane:

I had never heard of this group until this episode with JC Penney and Ellen, I am kind of offended, who do they think they are, did you ask them to speak for you because I sure did not ask them to judge what is offensive or not family friendly for my home. 

I agree with this. Although I have known about them with the whole Glee thing. 

mommy_me
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 7:57 AM
5 moms liked this

Im just Curious about something for those who dont agree with Ellen being a spokesperson for JCP. Do you wear covergirl makeup? Have you seen their commercials? In no way is Ellen acting "GAY" in them. She's a comidian in them, funny and silly. I love ellen, my children and i watch her everyday and im so proud that there are people out there as giving as she. COUPLE MORE THINGS.

1-I love all people, gay straight, bi-sexual, trans-sexual. If everyone were free to be themselves without fear of backlash i believe the world would be a much better place.

2-Do you know how much money, gifts, cars, books for schools, childrens lunches, clothes, backpacks, Food, gift cars  and a whole lot more Ellen has given out in the past few years? MILLIONS OF DOLLARS WORTH! I think One Million Moms should try to help so many people the way Ellen has see how hard that is and do it anyway. Maybe then they can start whining about what kind of spokesperson she is. Until, SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP PLEASE, ELLENS COMING ON :)

SlightlyPerfect
It's here...
Today at 9:19 AM
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Well, when do we not "foist our morals on to others"?

slightlyperfect

Audreesmommy757
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 8:04 AM

i just dont see what the bible has to do with this...imo..it is not a religous debate/post..its about hatred towards a group of people..people who should not bejudged by there sexual orientation....if they help out so many people like they claim what would happen if they realized after the fact they helped a gay couple...or do they just pass them up all together...

Quoting Kelly913:

To answer the question in your title-the Bible has always been right. 

Audreesmommy757
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

gays are people and have feelings as well....does anyone wear big tag lable clothes..designer clothes?...most of the men who make them are gay.... fyi..

SlightlyPerfect
It's here...
Today at 9:19 AM
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 8:11 AM
5 moms liked this

I think what gets me the most is that OMM can't, for the life of them, come up with any rational, non-faith-based argument against Ellen.

They use some book (the Bible) they assume has some authority over morals (it doesn't), and use it to justify their own personal prejudice and push it forward. 

This is no different than anyone else who bases their moral principles on a book rather than rational inquiry. This is the result.

Faith allows it to go either way.

When we like someone's conclusion, we don't really care or think about whether we agree with how they got to that conclusion. We just care that we agree. But people can be right for the wrong reasons. We only ever seem to get pissed off when people use that same method but end up with a diametrically opposed conclusion to ours--so much so that we find it morally abhorrent.

Everyone here arguing about a god and a Bible and that god's preferences regarding gays are in the same boat as OMM if they use the Bible to justify or at least support their own morals. You just feel you got to the "right" answer doing it that way. Well, so do OMM. And, quite frankly, you're all wrong because the Bible doesn't have the copyright on morals, so your positions are fallacious by default.

slightlyperfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)