Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

When Morals collide...who's right?

Posted by   + Show Post

Are you familiar with the group One Million Moms? The bill themselves as guardians of the family friendly, and have successfully had advertising pulled from shows such as Glee, The Shield, and FX programming.

It appears their group is slightly smaller than a million, averaging about 50,000 members.

Their latest target is JCPenney: Penney's recently partnered with Ellen Degeneres as their newest spokesperson as part of a brand change initiative. Ellen is notoriously big hearted and has given away stacks of cash to families in need throughout the recession. 

One million moms says she doesn't "stand for the majority" of Penney's shoppers and wants her fired, because she's lesbian.

I get that they want the family friendly maintained, but I think that they're trying to foist their morals on to others. Why have advertising pulled from shows you aren't even watching if you don't want to police what the rest of the world is? Or are they watching the shows, "just for the advertising" to find out who offends them?

Penney's turned them down, by the way, so their latest tactic is harrassing the store managers. 

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Replies (61-70):
darciemelvin
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM
3 moms liked this

the bible has NOT always been right. also, gods "people" were created thru incest, which it clearly states in the bible NOT to do... hmmmmmmm DOUBLE STANDARDS THERE GOD !

SlightlyPerfect
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Nothing can justify prejudice except faith. so of course people are going to bring in the Bible.

What really concerns me is people who are against OMM but still use the Bible (the exact same way OMM does) to argue back.

Quoting Audreesmommy757:

i just dont see what the bible has to do with this...imo..it is not a religous debate/post..its about hatred towards a group of people..people who should not bejudged by there sexual orientation....if they help out so many people like they claim what would happen if they realized after the fact they helped a gay couple...or do they just pass them up all together...

Quoting Kelly913:

To answer the question in your title-the Bible has always been right. 

slightlyperfect

dwmom2008
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 8:22 AM
2 moms liked this

I get that they have the courage of their convictions, but this time they picked the wrong person to go after. Ellen has done so much recently to support LGBT youth, by calling out people who bully them. I think that she will be a great spokesperson for JC Penney's! Seeing as how Penney's is also trying to change their image right now to be more in line with other stores like H&M, I don't think this campaign of OMM is going to be successful.

Negative things like this rarely work out... they would do better by trying a positive spin, seeking out some better PR expertise, but instead they got some bad advice somewhere or did it themselves. I mean, their whole statement was worded so aggressively negative, it turned me off immediately. Hate never plays well in the world at large, KWIM?

sammygrrl
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 8:32 AM
3 moms liked this

bored housewives with no lives... maybe they should just grow up

UrbanSoccerMom
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 8:33 AM

so she made your point by saying that they are still on the books. problem is... they can't enforce them due to the federal gov't determining that the laws are unconsitutional. I'm not sure if you were attentive in civics class but the federal govt overrules the state, the state overrules the county, the county overrules the city/town. So, if sodomy is discovered, and a person is charged, that charge is not legal/valid because the feds said it wasn't a crime. Which in turn will cause the state to suffer some consequences, not the individual.

Quoting Kelly913:

I think you just made my point. 

Quoting SisterPeach:

Only three states still have sodomy laws on the books, and those were invalidated by a supreme court decision in 2003, ruling that  private sexual conduct is protected by liberty rights.  Homosexuality is NOT illegal. Tax Fraud is, not that any one is protesting Martha Stewart or Wesley Snipes.

Quoting Kelly913:

Actually-many states still have anti sodomy laws on the books, so it is a crime in many places.  Regardless of whether a person believes it's a crime, both are still moral issues, right? 

Quoting SisterPeach:

Sexual orientation is not a crime. Tax fraud is a crime. The two don't equate.

Quoting Kelly913:

If the moral in question were something other than sexual orientation, would those reacting so passionately still be so passionate?  Let's say she'd been convicted of tax fraud and a group opposed her representing any company.  Would there still be an outcry over it?

I like the saying, "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything." 

Aslen
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 8:35 AM
3 moms liked this

Family-friendly? Was Ellen naked? Simulating anything sexual? Nope. She's just a lesbian. One Million Moms ought to be called One Million IDIOTS. And GOOD for JCP turning them down! I wouldn't shop at JCP is they DID cow to the homophobes

loylin
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 8:36 AM

What? 

-_- 

I've heard of them before and someone should make them change their name to better reflect their actual numbers, it's false advertising! 

I'm sure penny's figured they would get some crap before they signed Mrs.Degeneres and decided it was worth it. Cover girl made the same bet and it seems do be serving them well. 

As far as pulling ads from glee, if companies want to give up great ad space there seems to be not shortage of those willing to take their place and as long as glee pulls in the ratings I'm sure there be a line of companies wanting the products in that space. 

At least it's keeping these one million (cough 50,000) Moms busy running in circles and pretty much pointless. 

Jenner8
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Wondering if we found a member of OMM... I'd never want my name mixed in with that bunch.

KairisMama
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 8:41 AM
5 moms liked this

It DISGUSTS me that people are against Ellen because she is a lesbian. The bigotry in this country will never be fully gone, and it is so sad. What a STUPID reason to boycott JCP, seriously.

bookmommy
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM
4 moms liked this

It's censorship and I think it's wrong. If YOU find something offensive, then by all means, don't watch or read it but to take it from others? What makes those Moms better than everyone else that they think theirs is the only view? This makes me livid.

As for Ellen, if it wasn't about her, these "family friendly" moms would find something else to complain about. They want attention.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)