Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vegan or Not?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:38 PM
  • 12 Replies

New Vegan Book for Kids Brings Out the Haters

Posted by April Peveteaux

vegan book for kidsOh, vegans. I do admire you so and honestly wish I could do what you're doing. So much so that on occasion, I give it a shot. Admittedly, I just polished off a breakfast of bacon and eggs, but I do have much love for you and your kind. Except for the judge-y ones. You people can suck it.

Which is how most of you guys are going to feel about Ruby Roth's upcoming children's book, Vegan Is Love, I just know it. And Ms. Roth does herself no favors in this TODAY show interview where she comes off as just a wee bit sanctimonious.

I take no issue with the statements made in Vegan Is Love. I don't think we can argue the fact that animals do, in fact, die when they are prepped for our dinner table. And any death that is not natural and at the hands of a weapon is surely violent. I don't even think some kids will blink an eye at this information. After all, it's much more difficult to explain the opposite to a child -- that we kill and eat animals by choice.

So how come this book is bugging me and will surely bug many of you?

It could be my own waffling on the issue and therefore guilt seeping in that I enjoy burgers against my better judgment. But it's also that this book feels condescending to parents making different choices than the author. And we don't need any more of that. So the best thing to do is to leave this book to the vegan families and ignore those cute animals staring out at us from the book shelves.

Who am I kidding? This thing is going to sell a million copies, mostly to people who want to use it to light up their grill.

What do you think about teaching kids to be vegans?

by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kerryket
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 2:58 PM
I'm all for people eating tasty animals, no guilt here, the vegans can do their own thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SisterPeach
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I think it's borderline brainwashing. You have to be REALLY careful to get enough protein on a vegan diet. I get the meat thing...but milk, eggs? Nothing dies in the production of that, and if you don't milk a cow, it's horrifyingly painful for them. So what should you do with the milk? waste it, or make a nice cheddar?

Glad we have free speech. She's a little extreme. Wonder if her kid's always going to be so compliant.

LindaClement
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Whatever.

Later, the kids will get to find out that the story isn't exactly as simple as it sounds.

Like, for example: the carrot is not more alive at the end of dinner than the rabbit is... If killing for food is wrong, it's not more right when what dies is a vegetable instead of an animal.

pampire
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 3:00 AM

I'm a former vegetarian.  I could never hack it as a vegan because 1) cheese is tasty and 2) most vegans are sanctimonious.  I believe in teaching children to respect all life and to appreciate and honor the animals that feed us.

LindaClement
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 3:13 AM

I like it...

My mom's a vegan, 'cause her response to dairy and animal products is 'ew'...not for any philosophic reasons that (I think) are irrational.

My dad's vegetarian.

Quoting pampire:

I'm a former vegetarian.  I could never hack it as a vegan because 1) cheese is tasty and 2) most vegans are sanctimonious.  I believe in teaching children to respect all life and to appreciate and honor the animals that feed us.

JCTVCBN
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 7:31 AM

I don't see anything wrong with that.

momofsixangels
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I am a huge animal lover and dont really eat meat.But if my kids like meat I wont stop them from eating it.Its just my preference not to eat it.But they do love and respect all animals.

gmadiane
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:19 AM
I dont have a problem with it if that is how the child is going to be raised anyway
Renee47
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I grew up in the country so eating animals doesnt bother me.

StephanAndCoral
by Stephanie on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:31 PM
I don't have a problem with it although we are meat eaters. Should my kid chose to be Vegan I would not be bothered by it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)