Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

Is this no big deal because it's a bad thing for a good cause or something so illegal you can't look past it?

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:05 AM
  • 29 Replies

92-Year-Old Veteran Breaks the Law to Support Our Troops

Posted by Jeanne Sager on April 30, 2012 

piracy warningIt's hard to hate on Hyman Strachman. He's a 92-year-old World War II veteran who was featured in The New York Times over the weekend because he's sent some 4,000 boxes full of DVDs to members of our nation's military serving overseas. Sounds like quite a mensch? Well, that and one of the world's biggest bootleggers.

Shocked you, didn't I? Now you know why he ended up in the Grey Lady. But what really shocked me is the response Strachman's DVD piracy is getting from our troops.

They adore him! Literally, he's been dubbed "a hero to soldiers."

Even though they know exactly what he's been doing in his home in New York. Kind of ... odd, don't you think? Considering our military is charged with protecting the American way of life, and here Strachman is breaking American law. Shouldn't they be angry with him? They are supposed to defend our Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. And he's a domestic threat of sorts ... albeit in a pretty tame way.

The guys who spoke out on his behalf make a good case for him. The number one request from servicemembers serving far from home is movies. It's the kind of thing that keeps them entertained when they're off duty, the kind of thing that gives them an escape from the hard work they do every day, the kind of thing that connects them to home. And the only thing they get from movie studios is old-fashioned reel-to-reel films and projectors. It's like a bad flashback to the 1970s.

I respect the heck out of what they do, and I have donated many times over to charities that send boxes to our troops. I think they deserve something better than what they get right now.

I just don't think bootlegged movies are "better." I think Strachman means well, but what he's doing is really a slap in the face for our military. They fight for us so some guy can sit in his house stealing movies and costing the government thousands in taxes that are levied on the movie industry, costing the movie industry thousands that would be fed back into the economy via their employees' paychecks?

I don't hate Hyman Strachman. But I certainly don't think he's a hero.

Is this no big deal because it's a bad thing for a good cause or something so illegal you can't look past it?

by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heather4511
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:06 AM
I heard this on this radio, and I thought, you go old man.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janessa27
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I know that is illegal but I think it is good that he is actually doing something good with what he could be doing bad with? Doesn't make much sense but I hear of people selling these all the time....I guess he had good intentions? Hero no but not go directly to prison thing either in my mind.

momofsixangels
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Its illegal but he thought he was doing good.

KenzieQsMommy
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Idk how to feel about it. He should be penalized, but not to the fullest extent.

SisterPeach
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Or maybe, just maybe, the law is over reaching and wrong? 

*ducks libertarian head and runs out of room*

aidensmomma508
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I dont see a problem with it, just a problem that he got caught :/

MrsTBailey
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:29 AM
How did he bootleg the movies?! I mean this is pretty vague about his "crime" or did i miss something in that post! The only way that he could ever be convicted of the so called antipiracy law is if he made copies of those movies either by recording them from the tv channels or from the actual dvds and had SOLD THE COPIES FOR PROFIT!! He obviously DID NOT DO THAT IN FACT HE GAVE THEM AWAY TO CHARITIES FOR FREE!! Sorry but thats a BIG DIFFERENCE!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Audreesmommy757
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:08 PM

i stand behind him

acrogodess
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:25 PM

He's 92. He KNOWS what these soldiers are going through better than any civilian at home does. I admire him for providing them with the entertainment/escape the active duty soldiers crave while off duty.

gmadiane
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I cant believe they would come down on an old man for this, dont we have enough in this country to be concerned about really

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)