Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

Student suspended for wearing T-shirt that says 'Life is wasted without Jesus'

CHESTER BASIN, N.S. - A Grade 12 student in Nova Scotia has been suspended for wearing a T-shirt publicizing his religious beliefs.

The South Shore Regional School Board suspended William Swinimer from Forest Heights Community School in Chester Basin for five days for wearing a shirt emblazoned with the words, "Life is wasted without Jesus."

School board Supt. Nancy Pynch-Worthylake says the wording on the shirt is the problem because it is aimed at the beliefs of others.

Pynch-Worthylake says the school has spoken with Swinimer a number of times about the shirt, asking him not to wear it again.

She says the school tried mediation with the student before suspending him.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Replies (11-14):
StephanAndCoral
by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:46 PM

seeing how the school tried other things before the suspension I have no problem with it. I think maybe they had an issue with it may have caused tension for other beliefs. 

acrogodess
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Seriously? Mediation? Suspension? eye rolling

SisterPeach
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I'm only going to buy that one if the code goes both ways. There are plenty of atheistic (is that a word?) shirts that call Christians names and people tend to think those are funny. 

I don't think people have a right NOT to be offended. If a student wants to wear a shirt that alienates half the class, then let him deal with the ramifications. 

Quoting LindaClement:

Or perhaps they don't like it because it is intentionally offensive to non-Christians?

Quoting SisterPeach:

Really? I mean, REALLY? 

Does it violate the dress code? Or they just don't like it because it's Christian? 

LindaClement
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I happen to agree: a lot of the 'dress code' nonsense in schools is straight-up authoritarian power-mongering, quite beside the point. It is possible to be educated in an environment of intellectual freedom --including intentionally-offensive (I mean: the wearer intends to offend, not that anyone invited to be offended is in any way required to be) t-shirts, hats, buttons, jackets, backpacks and verbal expressions.

Interesting, in yesterday's National Post it was reported that the school board has backed down.

Quoting SisterPeach:

I'm only going to buy that one if the code goes both ways. There are plenty of atheistic (is that a word?) shirts that call Christians names and people tend to think those are funny. 

I don't think people have a right NOT to be offended. If a student wants to wear a shirt that alienates half the class, then let him deal with the ramifications. 

Quoting LindaClement:

Or perhaps they don't like it because it is intentionally offensive to non-Christians?

Quoting SisterPeach:

Really? I mean, REALLY? 

Does it violate the dress code? Or they just don't like it because it's Christian? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)