Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

Challenge: Raise Awareness about Lupus - Win a Prize!

Posted by   + Show Post

The month of May is Lupus Awareness Month

Let's help raise awareness on CafeMom by creating one long thread dedicated to Lupus Awareness.

Reply to this post with ribbons, symbols, logos, links, bumps and any thoughts that you'd like to share.

Three members who reply to this post during the month of May will win CafeMom tote bags.

For information about Lupus:

purple ribbon

Contest rules:

• The Make a Difference contest starts 5/6/12 at 6pm (ET) and ends 5/31/2012 at 11pm (ET) (the "Contest Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Contest Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • Three winners will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a CafeMom Tote Bag.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 6/7/12.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Replies (271-280):
momofsixangels
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I didnt realize so many poeple had lupus.

momofsixangels
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Since my dh recently had his kidneys shut down and was hospitalized is Lupus something he should worry about?

momofsixangels
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM

My Lupus
By Meenakshi Jolly, MD, MS

Yes, what you see is indeed my lupus
Inside of me and on my beautiful wrapper

Within my stream, but against the flow
Sapping all my energy, stealing my glow

Every morning, it unfolds a new story
My feeble self, facing its crowning glory

Each joyous moment is followed by its toll
Frustrations emotions out on a tipsy roll

Daily struggles, form biggest part of my pie
My weakened battery, is always ready to die

I cannot let it become ME, or my soul
Or rule my body and dictate my tone

For there is lot more to me, than it
I am its task master, IT no more!!!

momofsixangels
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:07 PM
  • Awareness
    • The Ad Council's survey found that only 18 percent of women are personally concerned about lupus. The majority of respondents expressed concern about other health-related conditions, including cancer (67%), depression (61%), high blood pressure (58%), diabetes (57%) and arthritis (52%). Furthermore, approximately 29% could not correctly define lupus as an autoimmune disease, and 31% were not aware that women of childbearing age are most at risk.
    • 50% of Lupus patients see at least 3 doctors, over at least 4 years before being diagnosed.
    • In a nationwide poll of 1,000 adults conducted for the LFA, 61% said they knew little to nothing about Lupus.
  • Prevalence
    • 1.5 million Americans suffer from Lupus that is 1 out of every 200 Americans.
    • Estimates say 16,000 Americans develop Lupus each year.
    • 90% of those with lupus are women.
    • Lupus affects African Americans three times more commonly than Caucasians. Asians, Hispanics, and Native Americans are also more commonly affected.
    • 80% of those with Lupus develop it between the ages of 15-45.
    • Discoid Lupus accounts for about 10% of Lupus cases.
    • Click to view the prevalence of Lupus by country.
    • About 5% of the children born to individuals with Lupus will develop the illness.
    • 20% of people with Lupus will have a close relative (parent or sibling) who already has Lupus or may develop Lupus.
  • Symptoms
  • Prognosis
    • Thousands of Americans die of Lupus each year.
    • Only 50% of lupus patients lived 4 years after diagnosis in the 1950s. Currently 80-90% of Lupus patients survive 10 years or more after diagnosis.
    • About 15% of arthritis deaths are from SLE.
    • Almost 37% of SLE deaths are among people between 15 and 44.
    • Lupus deaths are five times higher for women than men.
    • Lupus deaths are three times higher for blacks than whites.
    • Mortality Ratios in the US for Systemic Lupus according to a Connecticut Health Center Study:
momofsixangels
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Let's proclaim May 10th World Lupus Day in all 50 states and all major cities! It is easy all you have to do is contact your governor (http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Governors.shtml) and/or mayor and ask for a proclamation. There is a link to request a proclamation on most of their sites. Fill it our or just email them the below World Lupus Day Proclamation and hopefully they will respond with a certificate of proclamation. Once you receive confirmation, let us know where we have declared World Lupus Day by emailing webmaster@cure4lupus.org.

Please join the international Lupus community in urging your local, state and/or federal government to adopt and issue the following World Lupus Day Proclamation:

Whereas, lupus is an autoimmune disease that can cause severe damage to the tissue and organs in the body and, in some cases, death; and

Whereas, more than five million people worldwide suffer the devastating effects of this disease and each year over a hundred thousand young women, men and children are newly diagnosed with lupus, the great majority of whom are women of childbearing age; and

Whereas, medical research efforts into lupus and the discovery of safer, more effective treatments for lupus patients are under-funded in comparison with diseases of comparable magnitude and severity; and

Whereas, many physicians worldwide are unaware of symptoms and health effects of lupus, causing people with lupus to suffer for many years before they obtain a correct diagnosis and medical treatment; and

Whereas, there is a deep, unmet need worldwide to educate and support individuals and families affected by lupus; and

Whereas, there is an urgent need to increase awareness in communities worldwide of the debilitating impact of lupus; Now, Therefore, Be It Resolved that 10 May 2011 is hereby designated as World Lupus Day on which lupus organizations around the globe call for increases in public and private sector funding for medical research on lupus, targeted education programs for health professionals, patients and the public, and worldwide recognition of lupus as a significant public health issue.

Proclaimed This Day, 10 May 2012

World Lupus Day Proclaimed in: Alabama, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas

City of Sacramento, CA

requested in: Arizona, California, Louisianna, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennesee, Virginia

momofsixangels
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:12 PM

SealSeal -

Musician, A childhood battle with Discoid Lupus left him with facial scars and hair loss.  more... 

Leslie HuntLeslie Hunt - 2007 top 20 "American Idol" finalist living w/ SLEmore...

Mercedes YvetteMercedes Yvette - Finalist on the second season of "America's Next Top Model".  She has also made a few other TV appearances and is now a spokesperson for the LFA. more...

Kelly StoneKelly Stone - Sister of Sharon Stone diagnosed with SLE.  Started Planet Hope with her sister.  more...

Pietra ThorntonPietra Thornton - Former wife of Billy Bob Thornton and former Playboy model has SLEmore...

Kelly Drury - Diagnosed with SLE and a national spokesperson for the LFA Kelly is an actress and model most notably on "General Hospital".  more...

Sophie HowardSophie Howard - British glamour model.  She was diagnosed with SLEmore...

Charles KuraltCharles Kuralt - Award winning American journalist most known for work w/ CBS.  Died at 62 in 1997 of Lupus complicationsmore...

Elaine PaigeElaine Paige - British singer/actress diagnosed with Lupus in 1989.  more...

J DillaJ Dilla or Jay Dee - American hip-hop producer and MC who worked with A Tribe Called Quest, Busta Rymes, and Common.  Died at 32 in 2006 of Lupus complicationsmore...

Ray WalstonRay Walston - stage, T.V., and movie actor.  Died at 87 in 2001 of Lupus complicationsmore...

Joy RoseJoy Rose - Lead singer of Housewives on Prozac and founder of the Momapalooza festival has Lupus.  more...

Mary McDonoughMary McDonough - Actress best known for her role as "Erin" on The "Waltons".  Mary believes silicone breast implants may have caused her Lupus.  more...

Mary NortonMary Norton - Luxury shoe and handbag designer.   She does work with Lupus LA and has Lupus. 

Salimah MussaniSalimah Mussani - LPGA pro golfer, and Stanford University women's golf coach who has Lupus.  more...

Nicole PaxsonNicole Paxson - Lupus sufferer since age 12, she started a cosmetics company focused on raising women's confidence no matter what their challenges.  more...

Michael JacksonMichael Jackson - The "King of Pop" had Lupus.  more...

Inday BaInday Ba - This Swedish born TV and movie actress died of complications of Lupus in 2005.  more...

Donald ByrneDonald Byrne - Hall of Fame chess player Donald Byrne died of Lupus complications in 1976.  more...

Hugh GaitskellHugh Gaitskell - British politician who died suddenly of Lupus complications in 1963.  more...

Teddi KingTeddi King - This famous jazz singer died of Lupus complications in 1977.  more...

Ferdinand MarcosFerdinand Marcos - The former president of the Philippines died in exile of Lupus complications in 1986.  more...

Flannery O'ConnorFlannery O'Connor - This novelist died of Lupus complications in 1964.  more...

Michael WayneMichael Wayne - The son of legendary actor John Wayne, actor/producer Michael Wayne died of Lupus complications in 2003.  more...

Tim RainesTim Raines - Baseball player for the Montreal Expos and the Chicago White Sox, Tim was diagnosed with Lupus in 1999.  more...

Lauren Shuler DonnerLauren Shuler Donner - She is the producer of such hits as "Free Willy" and the "X-Men" Movies.  Her husband is a famous director (see above), they received the "Loop Award" at Lupus LA's 2008 Orange Ball.  more...

Louisa May AlcottLouisa May Alcott - This very famous author of classics such as "Little Women" is believed to have had Lupus.  more...

Gigi GarnerGigi Garner - The daughter of actor James Garner, Gigi Garner is living with Lupus and will be attending the 2009 Murietta Walk for Lupus.   more... 

Cindy CrawfordCindy Crawford - Cindy is a Drag Racer that wrote "Drag Racing Basics", and used it as a platform to speak about her Lupus. more...

Trick DaddyTrick Daddy (Maurice Young) - This rapper was diagnosed with Discoid Lupusmore...

Lucy VoddenLucy Vodden - The inspiration for the Beatles’ 1967 psychedelic classic “Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" died at age 46 from Lupus in 2009. more...  Lucy

Amanda DavenportAmanda Davenport - This chef starred in Fox's "Hell's Kitchen". more...

Bobbie BrownBobbie Brown - She is best known for being in the 1990 Warrant "Cherry Pie" video. more...

Toi TroutmanToi Troutman - Hollywood publicist and author Toi Troutman does a bi-weekly vlog about her life with Lupus. more...

Marisol ThomasMarisol Thomas - The wife of rock star and Matchbox 20 lead-man, Rob Thomas, has a "Lupus like" autoimmune disease.  Describing it that way brings a lot of awareness to Lupus.  Rob wrote a song, "Her Diamonds", beautifully describing what it is like to have a spouse with such an illness. more...  Cradlesong

Lady GagaLady Gaga- World famous pop star said on Larry King Live that she has Lupus in her family and "the truth is I don't show any signs, any symptoms of lupus. But I have tested borderline positive for the disease. So as of right now ... I do not have it. But I have to take good care of myself.". more... 

Terri Seymour Terri Seymour - Correspondent for "Extra!" the TV show, and former girlfriend to "American Idol's" Simon Cowell, she co-hosted Lupus LA's 2008 Orange Ball and in June 2010 she admitted that she was diagnosed with Lupus as a teenager.   more...

Snoop Doggy Dog Cori Broadus Cori Broadus - Daughter of rapper Snoop Doggy Dog has Lupus. more...

Laurie Williams Laurie Williams - A Greatest American Dog cast member, she has lived with SLE for over 25 years.  more...

Jasmine Guy Jasmine Guy- It is widely reported on the Internet that "Whitley" from "A Different World" has Lupus.  We can not however find a direct quote from the actress herself.

Triona Holden Triona Holden - Former BBC war reporter was diagnosed with SLE and became an artist.  more...   

Toni Braxton Toni Braxton - Grammy award winning singer performed at the 2009 Lupus LA Orange Ball.  She also admitted that she has Lupus at the 2010 Hollywood Bag Ladies Luncheon.  more..., more...

Shelley Mosley Shelley Mosley - Half of the writing duo known as Deborah Shelley has Lupus and Fibromyalgia.  more... 

Anna Nicole Smith Lupus Anna Nicole Smith - Although never confirmed by the actress/model herself or by any medical professional, some of her friends have claimed she had Lupus, but hid it because she didn't want to be known for it.  more...

Jeramie Rain Jeramie Rain - This actress is best known for her role in "The Last House on the Left" was also married to Richard Dreyfuss and mothered his three children.  She has SLE that flared after the birth of their first child.  more... 

Doc Ish Doc Ish - This hip hop artist and producer released an album called "The First Treatment" based on his battles with Lupus and heart disease.  more... The First Treatment - Doc Ish

Juliana Furtado  Juliana Furtado - Hall of Fame mountain biker Juliana Furtado was forced to retire due to Lupus. more...

Nick Cannon Nick Cannon - This actor, host, comedian, and musician announced on Good Morning America

momofsixangels
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Most Lupus Awareness orgaizations, charities, support groups etc. use a purple awareness ribbon to represent Lupus.  These include the Lupus Foundation of America and all of it's chapters, support groups and affiliates, The Alliance for Lupus Research, and The Dorough Lupus Foundation.

Some organizations, however, use and orange awareness ribbon to support the cause.  These groups include The Lupus Research Institute, The S.L.E. Lupus Foundation, Lupus LA, and The Lupus Alliance of America.

At Cure4Lupus.org we primarily use the purple ribbon as it is the most popular.  We also offer products with orange ribbons to those who prefer that color.  Every October (Lupus Research Awareness Month) we take our site orange for the month in support of those organizations.

momofsixangels
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Julian Lennon and James Scott Cook have released a single to benefit Lupus and help bring awareness to the disease. The song is called "Lucy". Lucy Vodden was a childhood friend of Julian's. When he brought home a drawing from school to his father John Lennon, he was asked what it was. Julian answered that it was Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds inspiring the hit Beatles song of the same title. James Scott Cook also has a grandmother, with Lupus. Coincidentally, her name is also Lucy. Some proceeds from this song will benefit the Lupus Foundation of America and The St. Thomas Lupus Trust.

momofsixangels
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Lupus Symbols

Purple Awareness RibbonPurple - Purple represents courage and endurance things all lupus patients must have.

Orange Awareness RibbonOrange - Orange is also used to represent Lupus awareness. 

Lupus ButterflyButterfly - Traditionally the butterfly represents freedom, transformation and recovery. Also, one of the more common symptoms of Lupus is called a butterfly rash. It is a red rash across the nose and cheeks that resembles a butterfly. That is why the butterfly has become the symbol of hope for Lupus patients.

Lupus Wolf FaceWolf - The word lupus in Latin means wolf. This word was used for this disease due to the rash that many patients get a rash across their face that was said to resemble the markings on wolves' faces.  Also, the rashes caused by Lupus can look like bite and scratches made by an attacking wolf. 

Ribbon w/ a knot tied in it - This symbol represents the complexity and uncertainty of the disease.  

momofsixangels
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Lupus music and movies

Several songs and even a whole album have been written about Lupus and/or to benefit Lupus charities.  There are also a few movies that deal with the subject.

Music

Stay Strong Music C "Stay Strong" - Proceeds donated to The Connecticut Children's Medical Center, Teen Lupus Support Program. 
Order CD

Fly Free Butterfly, Fly Free  "Fly Free Butterfly, Fly Free" Elisa Lynee - 70% goes to LFNE
iTunes Download    Amazon Download

Lucy Song Lupus  "Lucy" Julian Lennon & James Scott Cook - Benefits the LFA and St. Thomas Lupus Trust
iTunes Download    Amazon Buy EP

Her Diamonds Lupus Rob Thomas  "Her Diamonds" Rob Thomas - About being the spouse of a Lupus fighter. 
iTunes Download    Amazon Download 

The First Treatment Doc Ish  "The First Treatment" Doc Ish - About Doc Ish's battle with Lupus and heart disease. (contains explicit language) 
iTunes Download    Amazon Download 

Movies

Love Simple  "Love Simple" - About a woman with Lupus and her dating.  10% goes to the S.L.E. Lupus Foundation 
iTunes Download    Amazon DVD 

Love and Other Drugs  "Love and Other Drugs" - Depicts chronic illness and how it can effect a relationship. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)