Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

It’s Be Kind to Animals Week!

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM
  • 8 Replies

It’s Be Kind to Animals Week!

It’s Be Kind to Animals Week, and a great time to share your love of animals with the kids in your life. Here are a few of our top ideas:

Volunteer Together
Sure, many shelters require volunteers to be 18 to handle animals—but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing kids can do to help! Kids can hold a bake sale for a local shelter, help with web design or do even more—check out the stories of ASPCA Kids of the Year Olivia Boulet and Mimi Ausland for ideas. Call your favorite shelter to ask what your kids can do.

Get Crafty
If you’ve got a future artist on your hands, consider getting messy in the craft room for shelter animals. What can you do? For starters, you can make cat toys for homeless kitties in your area. Check out this page for instructions. (Hint: You’ll need some old socks.) 

Get ‘Em Involved in Pet Care
Whether you decide your 12-year-old is ready for his own guinea pig or you want your 14-year-old to feed the dog dinner each day, getting your kids involved in caring for your pets will help them build a lasting love for animals. Where to start? Check out our guide to how much pet care kids can likely handle. Then send them to ASPCAKids.org’s Pet Care section.

by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LindaClement
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Aw... that's sweet!

momofsixangels
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I am huge animal lover.I love all animals.I have been helping a homeless man and his dog for awhile now.Huckleberry is the sweetest dog! Recently they have had to move in with a relative b/c of Ricks health.I love to take care of homeless animals.I used to volunteer at the spca but it made me want to take them all home and made me sad when their time ran out.Animals deserve love,respect and a safe place to live.

kerryket
“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum.” - Noam Chomsky
Tuesday at 7:21 PM
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:11 AM

We love animals in my house, but have kept it down to 2 pets, one cat, and one gerbil.  

janessa27
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:09 AM

We do not have any pets. Jarius and DH have been trying to talk me into getting a dog.....but I really don't want one. Maybe a fish:)

Photobucket
GraceHudson
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM
sweet

dakotasmom12103
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM

For me every day is be kind to animals...even my kitty who mistakes my arms and legs for chicken wings...lol!

acrogodess
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:31 AM

We have Diamond and Bella, our cats, who would've ended up at the shelter if we hadn't taken them in when friends no longer wanted their cats. We also have Crosby, our American Boxer, who would have also ended up in a shelter. He is a very high maintenance dog.

Diamond is pregnant and due in about 2 weeks. We will try and give away the cats to friend we KNOW won't turn them into a shelter, but if she only has 2 kittens we have decided to keep them.

acrogodess
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:31 AM

We plan to buy an extra bag of cat food and cat litter and some dog food to donate to our local animal shelter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)