Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you make of this fourth fake cancer incident?!

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:18 AM
  • 15 Replies

Woman Faked Breast Cancer to Get Her Friends to Pay for a Boob Job

Posted by Maressa Brown on May 4, 2012 

jami toler faked breast cancer breast augmentationWhoever could have imagined that faking cancer could have become a toxic disease all its own, spreading like wildfire across the country? We've heard of the bride who faked cancer for her wedding and a teen who faked cancer ending up with her very own prom, but now, in the fourth case of its kind, a woman faked having breast cancer in order to get her breasts augmented, say police in Mesa, Arizona. Wow.

Reportedly, 27-year-old Jami Toler from Phoenix told her co-workers at a local hospice last August that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer. Court records state that she claimed to need a double mastectomy and then breast reconstruction. Toler then allegedly asked her co-workers and parents to help raise funds to cover both surgeries, which would equal approximately $8K. And, of course, believing her, they did everything they could to help, holding fundraisers and depositing the dough into a bank account.

But it seems like a genuine doctor's note is the one thing Toler forgot. She couldn't provide her employer with one, and then, investigators found that her medical records never indicated breast cancer. A breast augmentation, oh yes!

Toler was arrested on Wednesday, and the people she used to work with at the hospice say they feel incredibly betrayed. Not that they regret having tried to help her, because they're just good people who legitimately believed their co-worker had breast cancer. It's still so disheartening that they were manipulated and completely taken advantage of.

What is going on here? Why would anyone choose to do something like this? I guess I could wrap my head around it more if it was just a one-time, one woman fluke incident. But it seems to be a growing, disturbing trend. Thankfully, it does sound like law enforcement has been cracking down on these "fake cancer" crimes. Judges on these cases must start making serious examples of people like Toler, so that more innocent, unconditionally kind people aren't taken for a heartbreaking ride.   

Here's the news story on the upsetting turn of events ...

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/137138/woman_faked_breast_cancer_to

What do you make of this fourth fake cancer incident?!

by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kerryket
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I think it's incredibly sick.

Audreesmommy757
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:00 AM

some people are just sick in the head

momofsixangels
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:42 AM

These people that do this need to ne jailed and for a long time.

RelaxedMom2-3
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I think it is really, really sad. Karma is also a bitch....

sissy852
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:45 AM
i think it is sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Strega
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Definitely takes a special breed of lowlife to do something like that.

It's also really, really bad Karma. One day they may end up really having Cancer and no one will help them.

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

janessa27
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I think it is really sad and sick:( These selfish people are taking away from all the people that truly need the help! I don't see how they could live with themselves!

frustrated

SisterPeach
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:13 PM

It's one of the reasons I'm weird about donating money to people on the internet. Or in life. Stuff I give away all the time, but money? I'm leery. 

acrogodess
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I don't donate unless I donate to an official charity. Like today, I donated $1 for Regal Cinema's Stars of Hope which these are a list of charities that Regal Donates to : http://www.regmovies.com/corporate/communityaffairs/partnerslist/

hopealways4019
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM
I wish my son having cancer wasn't real, but it's our horrible reality everyday! They need to send these twisted people, to an oncology department, and see all the sick patients. It's not a joke.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)