Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

Which side are you on? Should Young be punished or should he be celebrated?

Posted by on May. 24, 2012 at 6:58 AM
  • 5 Replies

Supermarket Clerk Saves Pregnant Woman From Attacker & Gets Suspended for It

Posted by Jeanne Sager on May 23, 2012 

grocery storeSometimes it's hard to figure out the "right" thing to do. But when the meat clerk at a California Safeway saw a man kicking his pregnant girlfriend, he didn't have to think. He knew he had to intervene. Too bad Ryan Young's bosses don't see it that way.

The hero has been suspended from his job without pay! What a way to reward the good guys, huh?

A store spokeswoman told the media the heroic store clerk is off the job because of actions that went on during the confrontation, but they won't get into specifics. We do know that Young struck Quyen Van Tran -- who later plead no contest to misdemeanor battery for hurting the woman -- during the altercation, so I can only guess that the store bigwigs are unhappy that an employee hit a customer.

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree with them. I've worked in retail, in a grocery store specifically. Your job is to yes the customer to death. You definitely don't get physical with anyone.

But this was not your "normal" circumstance. The same cops who arrested Tran have commended Young for protecting the pregnant woman. Even they think he's a hero.

There is something to be said for the kind of person who puts their own neck on the line for someone else. Ryan Young knew he could be hurt himself, but he saw there was a woman being physically abused. He put himself out there to help someone else. And yeah, he got physical. Because sometimes, right has shades of gray. Sometimes we have to do something not so great in order to have things turn out OK.

Being able to figure out what's right and being brave enough to make it happen is an act an employer should not only value but celebrate. He's a team player. He's a good guy.

He should be a public relations dream for a company. Instead, because a company is second guessing a guy who jumped in to do what's right without a second thought, he's become their nightmare, with angry citizens picketing to get this hero his job back.

Which side are you on? Should Young be punished or should he be celebrated?

by on May. 24, 2012 at 6:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
janessa27
by on May. 24, 2012 at 7:15 AM

I think Young should be celebrated. This is the perfect example of what causes people to "mind their own business". If this man was kicking his pregnant girlfriend in the middle of a public place...I couldn't imagine what he did to her behind closed doors!

StephanAndCoral
by Stephanie on May. 24, 2012 at 8:29 AM
Celebrated! The bosses are just worried about getting sued. It always comes down to money for them not a right and wrong. A place I worked at was always getting robbed they always eventually found the person but one time one of the managers ran after him and held him until police got there and the manager was repermanded (sp?) For it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by on May. 24, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Celebrated! He is a hero!

hopealways4019
by on May. 25, 2012 at 8:19 AM
Police use physical force too, too subdue criminals, if its not excessive, they don't get fired. I was a victim of domestic violence. I commend this gentleman, for not minding his own business.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by on May. 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Celebrated!!! For sure
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)