Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

to all smokers/non smokers

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM
  • 20 Replies

do you think putting graphic pictures on the packs make a difference at all?

by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I quit  over 15 years ago.My fil died almost 3 years ago from lung cancer.Yes he was a smoker.I say they cant hurt.People dont think they will get lung cancer.When my fil was first diagnosed he was stage 3 and a month later stage 4.He was given 6 months.He made it 5.It was horrible to watch.My dh moved in with him so he could die at home.He had to feed him,change his diaper,everything,The cancer spread to his brain.It was so sad.

Audreesmommy757
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM

so sorry to hear this...

Quoting momofsixangels:

I quit  over 15 years ago.My fil died almost 3 years ago from lung cancer.Yes he was a smoker.I say they cant hurt.People dont think they will get lung cancer.When my fil was first diagnosed he was stage 3 and a month later stage 4.He was given 6 months.He made it 5.It was horrible to watch.My dh moved in with him so he could die at home.He had to feed him,change his diaper,everything,The cancer spread to his brain.It was so sad.

StephanAndCoral
by Stephanie on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it makes a difference. I worked almost 4 years in a tavern type place people always said if the prices go up I am quiting the prices raised they kept coming raised again still came in etc.... i am a non smoker Shawn quit the day Coral was born almost everyone else in our familys smoke. 

LindaClement
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Nope.

KenzieQsMommy
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Great post!

I honestlydon't know. I think we are so desensitized as a whole now that I'm not sure it make a difference.

kaidansmylife
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM
Nope. People are gonna smoke, weather they see gross pictures or not, if they want to. I think the only thing to get people to stop would be to stop making the crap. Out lawing it would do no good people would still find a way. Stop making cigarettes and people would still find a way but at least (in more cases then not anyways) it wouldn't be mixed with all the nasty deadly shit and poisons. That wont happen though because there's to much money in cigs. The government and the companies would never give that up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Here in NY, they post all kinds of graphic commercials on tv. Pete and other keep puffing away

kerryket
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I don't think it makes a difference to smokers.

SisterPeach
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I think it's more important for parents to talk to kids about it, when they are young. I'd be interested to see whether there are as many new smokers as there were a decade ago.

justme91755
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I doubt anything you put on a pack of cigarettes will keep a smoker from continuing to smoke. It may keep some youngsters from starting although I think the best thing to do  is to take young smokers on a tour of a cancer ward and have them meet people who have had half the jaw or throat removed from cancer surgery or the morgue to see an autopsy on a smoker.  My dad smoked from the time he was 13 ti he was 80. He had emphysema for the last 20 yrs of his life and the last 7-8 he was on oxygen but he would turn it off and go outside to have a cigarette.  I was angrier at my mom continuing to buy them for him after he was too weak to walk across the street to buy them himself.  They call them coffin ( coughin') nails for a good reason.  I still don't think the government should regulate whether or not people should have the right to smoke but I certainly wish that smokers would realise there is absolutely no benefit in smoking

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)