Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

I Called The Police Last Night

Posted by   + Show Post
I've posted about my awful neighbors before and it ia dramatically gotten worse. The kids now stand outside our door and blow whistles at all hours, the screaming has increased, they body slam themselves against our wall and windows outside. Its beyond out of control.
I called the cops last night to find out what our noise ordinance is and turns out it's anytime after noon that we are being disturbed. So I told the cop what was going on and she could hear it. She sent someone out but I asked to remain anonymous, they've retaliated enough.
Cop shows up and asks adult 'did you guys call?' Guy says no, obviously. Cop says 'oh okay we got a call about noise here but they didn't specify. Have a good night!'
And they left!! I was Sooooo pissed!!! I just went to bed but if it happens again tonight I'm calling. Every damn night until real action is taken.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Replies (101-106):
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 3:47 PM

What state is that a law in?  Only 12 states say you have to have permission to record audio: "Twelve states-California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington-require the consent of all parties for you to record a conversation."

It is a constitutional right to record people in public, and unless you're in one of the above twelve states, then you can record all the audio you want.  It's a big debate now because ppl are getting arrested for recording on duty police.

Quoting mommy5912:

you can video tape as long as it does not have sound....if you do it with sound it can be a felony unless you warn them first (have to let the adults know)

Quoting JATomlinson:

Take video and pictures, make sure the noise is caught on tape.  Also write down each incident on a piece of paper with the day and time.  Then physically go down to the police station with your evidence.

Visit Hot Shot Blogger.  We aim to equip you with the tools you need to be successful in the blogging world!

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM
U should record it on a video recorder or ven ur phone n notify ur landlords and go down n make a complaint to the cops n show em the video u have
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Start recording everything that goes on.  Record your messages with them and also when you call the police.  Call the landlord and start demanding they take care of it.  Call a lawyer and see what you can do.

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:51 PM
IF those dogs are truly as dangerous as said, I would make sure they went missing for longer than a day. No cruel punishment, I'd just make sure they couldn't hurt anybody else. And that's ONLY if they are as harmful as they are said to be. I don't care what kind of breed they are. All breeds can be nice as can be, including pits, rots, and shepards, and all breeds can be mean, including labs, chihuahuas, poodles, shitzus.

Quoting Sheepy:

Well we had two cops tell us that it wasnt illegal for two killer dogs to be running around the neighbor,even though those dogs almost attacked alittle girl and killed other peoples dogs,then we have a sheriff tell us that it is illegal but he doesnt do anything about it either!The dogs went missing for one day but now they are back at the house.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:00 PM
You don't have to call 911 for it but you can call just the police dept and make a complaint. Everytime they come out as for the case # and record it. Also document every incident and everytime you call. You don't you don't have to record it on video or anything. Just make notes. Then you can take them to court if it doesn't resolve with the help of the police. Take them to small claims court or civil court. Go see a lawyer and ask their advice if you want. You can usually get a free consultation and if it gets bad enough you can sue them for harassment. It's not about the money and I'm not trying to make it sound like that. But sometimes when people get threatened with that then they might call down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 3:52 AM

It might be more effective to go to county records and learn who owns the property. If they are renters, then send registered letters detailing your complaints about their tenants. I would also encourage your landlord to get involved by warning him/her that it is becoming difficult for you to live here under the present conditions. And do continue to call police. I would be cautious about how you approach this- you do need them to be on YOUR side in this matter. The next time you speak to dispatch, explain in detail why their initial approach didn't help the situation, and repeat that you need to remain anonamous, but that there is a serious noise issue which is disrupting your family, and could they please explain this in detail to the responding officer this time.

Good luck. It is so disruptive to have bad neighbors!

Quoting LindaClement:

Here we have a basic right, called 'quiet enjoyment' --which has nothing to do with noise bylaws or hours. People have the right to 'quiet enjoyment' of their property (or their tenancy), regardless of the time of day. It doesn't mean they can stop people ever using chainsaws or leaf blowers, but it does mean the noise needs to be purposeful, short-term and not done strictly to annoy others.

I'd call every hour, not every night. 'They're still noisy.' 'They're still noisy.'

Of course, being the bitch that I am, I'd also make a complaint to the authority that oversees the police. Imagine if they'd been responding to a call about violence, and asked the person doing the punching if they'd called? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)