Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

What would you do if your child's school called and said they wanted to do a strip search?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 6:57 AM
  • 9 Replies

Principal Strip Searches Little Boy Without Mom's Permission

Posted by Jeanne Sage on June 19, 2012 

dunce capBefore you send your kid off to school, you try to instill a sense of respect for authority in our kids. But not too much. We want them to feel safe saying no when an adult wants them to do something that doesn't mesh with our values because we can't always be there to do it for them.

Take the third grader who was strip searched by his elementary school principal for allegedly stealing $20 from a classmate. It turns out Justin Cox didn't actually take the money, but that's beside the point. An adult made a 10-year-old boy strip down to his undies. And from the way his (rightfully) outraged mom is talking, it doesn't seem like little Justin knew he could say no ... and she wasn't there to do it for him.

That's the crux of my concern. I can't be with her all the time, but will my kid be able to say "no" to adults she was taught to respect?

Maybe the reason Clarinda Cox's complaint about her kid's school strip searching her son freaks me out more because she sounds so reasonable. She isn't one of those nutty parents who automatically says their kid was right. She says she would have strip searched him in the privacy of the school bathroom with a school staffer present so the poor 10-year-old wouldn't have been terrified.

She isn't saying no discipline. She's asking to be involved so she can speak for her kid. Makes sense, right?

It's not unreasonable for a school district to call in the parents of a child before they start a discipline process. That gives us the chance to work with the school in meting out punishment appropriately. It's not really that different from giving an adult criminal suspect a lawyer.

Kids these days face everything from strip searching to being locked in a scream room. That's why parents need to be brought in on discipline issues. We should have the chance to make sure discipline is appropriate, to make sure they're getting fair treatment. Because our kids don't always know when they can say, "No," but that doesn't mean they should have to suffer.

What would you do if your child's school called and said they wanted to do a strip search?

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 6:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
janessa27
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I would say H*#L NO! That is crazy! I would be livid (to say the least) if I found out my kids had been subjected to a strip search without my permission or without contacting me at all to let me know they even considered it. Strip search on a 10 year old is ridiculous anyways!

momofsixangels
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I would say no way! They are crazy!!!

Shelley927
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Do I hear LAWSUIT and YOU ARE FIRED.......

SisterPeach
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I don't think the strip search was unreasonable, I think Mom should have been the one to do it, though. Why did the other kid have a twenty at school to begin with?

kerryket
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:36 PM

My kids learned after a local incident that they could politely refuse to sign, make a statement or comply with a search such as this until a parent is present, even if the staff was threatening expulsion, suspension, etc...

BethanyJ
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:47 PM

If I received a phone call like that, I'd tell them to wait until I got there, and if they touched my kid I would be filing a lawsuit, along with contacting all sorts of media sources.  Then, I'd ask to talk to my child and tell him or her to resist by all means possible.  I'd hightail it to the school and dispense whatever discipline was necessary.

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 5:09 AM

I would tell them to wait till I got there and boy would I be livid if I found out that they did one on either of my children without contacting me first.  

jesusgirl76
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Quoting janessa27:

I would say H*#L NO! That is crazy! I would be livid (to say the least) if I found out my kids had been subjected to a strip search without my permission or without contacting me at all to let me know they even considered it. Strip search on a 10 year old is ridiculous anyways!

Audreesmommy757
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:43 PM

i would say mo...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)