Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM
  • 22 Replies
Some say this is unconstitutional, some say its 'our money' so we should be spending it more wisely on people who 'really' need it
What do you say?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BethanyJ
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd say it's a waste of time and money.  Conservatives say they want to makes sure that people aren't trading their assistance for drug money or buying drugs with welfare money...but in reailty, very, very few people do that.  People who smoke pot on occasion usually don't use large amounts of money to purchase it, or smoke with friends.  Drug use doesn't always mean neglectful parenting either, depending on the drug and frequency of use.  I don't know..I see it as punishing people for being poor.  Then again, I'm against drug testing for employment, or really anything unless being under the influence could result in a safety hazard, such as a truck driver, or a machine operator.  I don't give a flying flip if a cashier does hard drugs, or if the microsoft programmer smokes weed.  

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 5:03 AM

I think it's a good idea but not one they will be able to enforce unless they call someone up the morning of a random drug test and tell them they need to come in and do one.   But then again I am against drugs whether people do them a little or a lot.

janessa27
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I feel that as long as people are getting drug tested to work- they should get drug tested to sit at home and receive money.

KenzieQsMommy
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:39 AM
I think it's quite an assumption to make that folks on welfare sit at home and don't even look for work

Quoting janessa27:

I feel that as long as people are getting drug tested to work- they should get drug tested to sit at home and receive money.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janessa27
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

I think it's quite an assumption to make that folks on welfare sit at home and don't even look for work

Quoting janessa27:

No- I am in no way saying that they sit at home and aren't looking for work. I worded that wrong. I am just saying that if I have to take a drug test to receive a check- then so should anyone else....regardless of what they do/don't do to receive that check.

IreneCarroll
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 9:04 AM
bump

KenzieQsMommy
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Our system is far, far screwed up to have that be worth our money.

Quoting janessa27:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting janessa27:

No- I am in no way saying that they sit at home and aren't looking for work. I worded that wrong. I am just saying that if I have to take a drug test to receive a check- then so should anyone else....regardless of what they do/don't do to receive that check.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janessa27
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting janessa27:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting janessa27

That is true! I know some people that are on welfare and want to work but can't afford what they would pay for assisted daycare and loss of any food stamps. It is VERY screwed up!

KenzieQsMommy
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Its deeper than that.
There are children out there who's only means of nourishment are these food stamps. We all know that our child services department fails us daily, so what happens to the kids when the food stamps are taken away? Cps doesn't always do their job, more often then not they turn a blind eye.
I'm not on food stamps, but I do have my medical marijuana license. If I were on food stamps, and they tested me, I'd be forced to go hungry because of a condition I can't otherwise control.
There are too many variables

Quoting janessa27:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting janessa27:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting janessa27

That is true! I know some people that are on welfare and want to work but can't afford what they would pay for assisted daycare and loss of any food stamps. It is VERY screwed up!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janessa27
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Another valid point...I worked in daycare for 6 years and witnessed CPS fail kids over and over again. Then again if this was "my scenario" marijuana would be legal:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)