Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

American Neo-Gothic: Meet the Newest Crop of Farmers

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:36 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

om GOOD

In a time of deep economic uncertainty and concerns with our food system, interest is gaining around one of the oldest and most noble vocations. From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Philomath, Oregon, these 21 young farmers are knee deep in local agriculture and despite the tremendous challenges of making a living farming, they're thrilled with their calling. Meet the newest crop of American farmers. 

Photos courtesy of FarmPlate.com. To learn more, check out FarmPlate's young farmers profile series.

Lee Kornhauser & Heather Colburn  Ages 26 and 35 | Elder Fire Farm Arts | Dowling, Michigan

"Be patient, each year gets easier! Not everyone is cut out for this sort of lifestyle, but even if you grew up in the suburbs or the city you can learn what you need to know to be a successful farmer—the earth will never stop teaching you."

Kristen Johanson  Age 37 | Blackberry Meadows Farm | Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 

"My husband and I became dissatisfied with the commercial food system and were seeking a more meaningful and sustainable life. On a whim, and with no experience, we chose to quit our jobs and start farming. The road has been long and full of bumps, but we have since found our home here, with our friends at Blackberry Meadows, where we live and work with our new son and the rest of the farm crew."

Continued

by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
Trial starts the 25th next month. Hope he gets life or death row
Wednesday at 10:42 PM
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

They make it look fun! I would love to be on a farm and raise my own food.

SisterPeach
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I wanted to be a farmer when I grew up so badly. My mom used to laugh and make fun of me and eventually talked me out of it.

StephanAndCoral
by Stephanie on Jun. 22, 2012 at 5:27 PM
I would like the ability to grow anything...I kill everything even plants that just need water nothing else, vines, weeds, I grew a tomato plant it was so strong and tall I thought yay this is it I grew something! not 1 stinking tomato grew!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gmadiane
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 7:34 PM

thats awesome

acrogodess
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I'd want to be a farmer, but I can't make anything grow besides my kids lol

kerryket
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:59 AM

So, at least I don't feel like the only one with a black thumb here, I kill everything green or greenish.  I'm amazed my kids have thrived!

SisterPeach
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Quoting StephanAndCoral:

I would like the ability to grow anything...I kill everything even plants that just need water nothing else, vines, weeds, I grew a tomato plant it was so strong and tall I thought yay this is it I grew something! not 1 stinking tomato grew!

Was it outside? Birds probably ate the flowers.

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I would love to live on a farm and raise our own vegetable and have a bunch of animals and be able to foster dogs.

StephanAndCoral
by Stephanie on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM
Yes outside but did not even get flowers :(

Quoting SisterPeach:

Quoting StephanAndCoral:

Was it outside? Birds probably ate the flowers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 11:13 PM
What I wouldn't give to have some land, and some talent lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)