Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Group B strep

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 1:18 AM
  • 20 Replies

This month we celebrate international group b strep.Here are some facts

• In the U.S., group B strep is the leading cause of meningitis (infection of the fluid and lining around the brain) and sepsis (infection of the blood) in a newborn’s first week of life (early-onset disease).
  • About 25% of pregnant women carry group B strep in the rectum or vagina. Group B strep bacteria may come and go in people’s bodies without symptoms.
  • CDC’s guidelines recommend that a pregnant woman be tested for group B strep when she is 35 to 37 weeks pregnant.
  • A pregnant woman who tests positive for group B strep and gets antibiotics during labor has only a 1 in 4,000 chance of delivering a baby with group B strep disease, compared to a 1 in 200 chance if she does not get antibiotics during labor.
  • Any pregnant woman who had a baby with group B strep disease in the past, or who has had a bladder (urinary tract) infection during this pregnancy caused by group B strep should receive antibiotics during labor.
  • Most early-onset group B strep disease in newborns can be prevented by giving pregnant women antibiotics (medicine) through the vein (IV) during labor.
  • Newborns are at increased risk for a group B strep infection if their mother tests positive for group B strep during pregnancy.
  • The antibiotics used to prevent early-onset group B strep disease in newborns only help during labor — they can’t be taken before labor, because the bacteria can grow back quickly.
  • The rate of serious group B strep disease increases with age; average age of cases in non-pregnant adults is about 60 years old.

by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 1:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I had tested positive when I was pg with one of my dd's and had to be given antibiotics.

gmadiane
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:17 AM

thanks for sharing, interesting

KenzieQsMommy
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM
I tested positive and it scared me so bad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM
YW
Audreesmommy757
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM

i tested positive and wasnt told until delivery

janessa27
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I never knew- tfs:)

StephanAndCoral
by Stephanie on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I tested positive for it they forgot the antibiotics when I was delivering Stephan and Coral arrived too quickly for me to get them. both had to be admitted to the hospital for observation. This also caused issues between me and my mom.

starreyedcutie
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tayanddyl
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM
I tested positive with my last pregnancy. They gave me antibiotics
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylaMillar
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)