Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This month we celebrate international group b strep.Here are some facts

• In the U.S., group B strep is the leading cause of meningitis (infection of the fluid and lining around the brain) and sepsis (infection of the blood) in a newborn’s first week of life (early-onset disease).
  • About 25% of pregnant women carry group B strep in the rectum or vagina. Group B strep bacteria may come and go in people’s bodies without symptoms.
  • CDC’s guidelines recommend that a pregnant woman be tested for group B strep when she is 35 to 37 weeks pregnant.
  • A pregnant woman who tests positive for group B strep and gets antibiotics during labor has only a 1 in 4,000 chance of delivering a baby with group B strep disease, compared to a 1 in 200 chance if she does not get antibiotics during labor.
  • Any pregnant woman who had a baby with group B strep disease in the past, or who has had a bladder (urinary tract) infection during this pregnancy caused by group B strep should receive antibiotics during labor.
  • Most early-onset group B strep disease in newborns can be prevented by giving pregnant women antibiotics (medicine) through the vein (IV) during labor.
  • Newborns are at increased risk for a group B strep infection if their mother tests positive for group B strep during pregnancy.
  • The antibiotics used to prevent early-onset group B strep disease in newborns only help during labor — they can’t be taken before labor, because the bacteria can grow back quickly.
  • The rate of serious group B strep disease increases with age; average age of cases in non-pregnant adults is about 60 years old.

by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 1:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
Chenee
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I tested positive for GBS and my baby was born with sepesis. I had a feeling my water had a leak a few days before I went into laborbut was told everything was fine then I went into labor and felt my baby not moving for hours! I called my Dr. who didn't seem overly concerned but told me to go ahead to the ER and they would put me on the monitor. Needless to say my baby had to come out immediately due to her heart rate dropping and she was very ill. She had to be on antibiotics for 10 days to clear up the infection but luckily it had not effected her spinal fluid. The doctors couldn't understand how she got the infection as they said my water had not broke so there is clearly not a full understanding of the disease. I was also told that if I would have shown up an hour later to the ER she would not be alive. Today she is almost 3 years old and a very very healthy smart and beautiful little girl! I have taken steps to ensure her health immediately after she was released from the hospital such as giving her probiotics. I feel awareness, education and a better understanding of GBS is needed to ensure all babies are given a chance!

kerryket
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Good to be aware!

LOswald0314
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Thanks for sharing. My cousin had her baby early and didn't know she had group b. a few weeks after the birth the baby became very sick and after fighting for her life she now has permanent brain damage :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
copperswifey
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Same here with my 2nd child. With the third they didn't even test me they just automatically assume you will have it again and give you antibiotics. My third child came so fast though they weren't able to give me the antibiotics so she had to stay in the hospital longer to make sure she was fine.

Quoting momofsixangels:

I had tested positive when I was pg with one of my dd's and had to be given antibiotics.

elasmimi
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:50 PM

TFS. Interesting about the older age groups, (I am 65)

countrygirlkat
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I was positive with two of my kids.  One I received the antibiotics and the other came too fast and there was no time for them.  He was okay though and didn't get it luckily. 

slw123
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Thanks for sharing.

Kmakksmom
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Thank you for sharing!

MamaBear2cubs
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Thanks for sharing!

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Interesting!  Thanks for sharing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)