Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has your toddler ever tried to just walk out the door alone?

Posted by   + Show Post

3-Year-Old Mysteriously Appears in Random Stranger's Home 

Posted by Adriana Velez on July 12, 2012 

dagan pooleWe're always relieved when a "missing toddler" story ends happily with the child found alive and well. This story ends that way -- but with a wacky twist. Three-year-old Dagan Poole went missing one afternoon. There was a search, and by 3:00 p.m. that same day, little Dagan was found inside a neighbor's duplex -- along with some tampered bottles of alcohol, a board game that had been out of reach, and some candy. The neighbor, Yvette O'Day, had been away at work the whole time.

What the what? How did this happen?

Nobody knows. Dagan's mother Zena was sleeping in after working late. Dagan woke her up around 11:30 a.m. and then headed right out the front door. As they do.

Okay, did you catch all of that? Because it's kind of loopy. Dagan woke up his mama just before noon and then wandered off. There was a search and he was found at Yvette's home later that afternoon. But Yvette had nothing to do with it -- she was at work all this time. And if you ask Dagan, he just says "yes" to everything. Because he's 3.

Anyway, there's a school across from Yvette's home so maybe a kid found Dagan wandering around and decided to try a little pro bono babysitting. Who knows? Of course, it also looks like they helped themselves to some wine and schnapps. It's like a wacky, teenaged version of Goldilocks.

At least Dagan is safe. It doesn't look like he was harmed or even remotely traumatized. We may never know what really happened -- but I sure hope Zena starts locking her door.

Has your toddler ever tried to just walk out the door alone?

by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 7:37 AM
Replies (11-12):
StephanAndCoral
by Stephanie on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Coral trys to get out of the house when she sleep walks. you have to physically hold her around the waist as she walks to keep her from leaving. The entire time you hold her she is still walking as if on a treadmill. I wasn't too worried about her getting out because we have chains high up on the door she couldn't reach. I say couldn't because just recently she can reach them while standing on her toes but she has not had an episode of sleep walking in about a year. 

StephanAndCoral
by Stephanie on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Stephan has gotten out before but he was 9-10. I was away from the house for what ever reason and get a call I need to come home immediatley I was scared something had happened.

I get home and Stephan is at the back house thinking nothing of it because it is my parents house. I say whats wrong? and come to find out that Stephan was mad at Shawn for being told to go to bed after yelling at Shawn. I guess Shawn asked him to complete his chores Stephan said "No! I am not going to do them!!" So instead of going to his room he went to the back house and instead of the adults there sending him home explaining that it is wrong to run away and he should listen to his dad.

They told him it was ok and that at his age he shouldn't be doing chores like that (clean his room, keep his laundry together and dinner dishes) these were too many chores for someone his age. So since then we have struggled to get him to start his chores and then complete them. Struggled to get him to do much of anything or to listen to us. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)