Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

Banning Chick-fil-A in Chicago, is it legal or not?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 8:33 AM
  • 6 Replies

Chicago Chick-fil-A Owner to Mayor: We Create Jobs

Chicago Chick-fil-A Owner to Mayor: We Create Jobs

Jul 26, 2012

By Todd Starnes

The owner of a Chicago Chick-fil-A franchise that created 97 jobs  has a message for Mayor Rahm Emanuel – eat more chicken.

“I would like to invite Mayor Emanuel into my restaurant to meet me, my husband Steve, and my management staff,” said Lauren Silich in a letter posted on the restaurant’s Facebook page.

FOLLOW TODD ON FACEBOOK FOR CULTURE WAR UPDATES. CLICK HERE.

The invitation came after Emanuel declared that he would supports efforts by an alderman to block a second restaurant from being constructed because the Atlanta-based restaurant chain supports the biblical definition of marriage.

“Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values,” Emanuel said in a statement to Fox News, saying the comments “disrespect our fellow neighbors and residents.”

Alderman Joe Moreno said unless the company comes up with a written anti-discrimination policy, he would not allow Chick-fil-A to open its first free-standing restaurant in the city.

Silich said Chick-fil-A located in Loyola Water Tower has “been dedicated to serving all of our guests with honor, dignity and respect.”

“We are a family of deep Chicago roots – my husband and I both came from city worker families (teachers, police, laborers) and Steve is a city worker,” she noted. She also said they’ve supported, hospitals, schools, churches and even LGBT groups.

At stake could be the loss of jobs from companies that share similar personal beliefs. If the city cracks down on Chick-fil-A, could other businesses be forced out of Chicago?

“We alone created 97 jobs this past year and our passion is building leaders for future generations, regardless of sexual orientation or beliefs,” Silich noted. “We are not a corporation – we are real people and taxpayers as each Chick-fil-A franchise is independently owned and operated.”

SARAH PALIN AND MARK LEVIN LOVE TODD’S BOOK – DISPATCHES FROM BITTER AMERICA – CLICK HERE!

Newspaper editorial boards and religious liberty organizations have blasted the Moreno’s declaration – calling it a violation of the U.S. Constitution.

Mat Staver, president of the Liberty Counsel, said it’s unconstitutional.

“No city can ban Chick-fil-A because the president has his own view regarding marriage – a view that his held by much of the American public,” Staver told Fox News. “To discriminate against Mr. Cathy because of his biblical view and then to extrapolate that to Chick-fil-A is illegal. It would be unconstitutional and certainly any city trying to do so would not win that battle.”

Staver called Emanuel’s remarks offensive and accused the city of trying to “bully them into silence.”

“This is a very intolerant response by Rahm Emanuel and some of the others who are pushing back against Chick-fil-A,” he said. “It is absolutely incredible that we are at a point in history where an individual who is an owner of a company can express his view on marriage and get so much push back.”

Staver said there is absolutely no evidence that Chick-fil-A has discriminated against homosexuals. They serve all people equally, he said.

He also took issue with the idea that the restaurant’s values differ from those of Chicagoans.

“I imagine Chick-fil-A’s values are not Rahm Emanuel’s values, but I’m sure the values of Chick-fil-A resonate with a majority of people in Chicago,” Staver said.

Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin said she was appalled by Emanuel’s statement.

“Chicago thuggery is a scary thing in 2012,” Palin told Fox News. “For its politicians to think they can muscle businesses and shut them out just because they hold a differing, albeit traditional, view on an issue is a scary thing indeed.”

Moreno said he does not dispute that the owner of Chick-fil-A has First Amendment rights – but, he warned, there are consequences.

“There are consequences for freedom of speech (and) in this case the consequences are…you’re not going to have your first free-standing restaurant in Chicago,” Moreno told Associated Press.

Regardless of what happens, Silich said they will still be serving chicken sandwiches and sweet tea.

“We will continue to serve our guests in the only way we know how – with great food, exceptional service and a lot of fun,” she wrote.

Last week, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino told the Boston Herald he would block Chick-fil-A from opening a restaurant in the city. And city officials in Mountain View, Calif. are considering similar action.

by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SisterPeach
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 12:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Chick fil a is our favorite fast food restaurant. 

We are pro gay marriage, He didn't "ban" the restaurant, he suggested they build else where. Honestly, I'm quite tired of this whole drama with Chick fil a.  A company has a right to run itself however it sees fit, and expand within the zoning laws as it sees fit. 

If you feel like patronizing that company is not within your political beliefs, then don't go there. I'm going to have my occasional chicken sandwich and keep my politics out of my food (unless oreo makes those rainbow cookies)

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jul. 27, 2012 at 4:34 PM
I agree with you..
mommy to two boys,
Tyler
Aug 9th,02
Jacob
dec 28,11
momofsixangels
Trial starts the 25th next month. Hope he gets life or death row
Yesterday at 10:42 PM
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Quoting SisterPeach:

We are pro gay marriage, He didn't "ban" the restaurant, he suggested they build else where. Honestly, I'm quite tired of this whole drama with Chick fil a.  A company has a right to run itself however it sees fit, and expand within the zoning laws as it sees fit. 

If you feel like patronizing that company is not within your political beliefs, then don't go there. I'm going to have my occasional chicken sandwich and keep my politics out of my food (unless oreo makes those rainbow cookies)

well said

acrogodess
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Quoting SisterPeach:

I don't eat there because there are none here, but still

*starts a slow clap*

clapping

Well said!

kerryket
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 1:03 PM

The CEO has a right to his opinion and beliefs, I agree with keeping politics away from my chicken. I don't see this restaurant refusing to hire or serve anyone based on their beliefs so what gives? 

Turn it around, put some other groups and their opinions in the place of this one and see what the spin is.

gmadiane
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

almost afraid to comment on this kinda got slammed in another group but I do think the ceo has a right to his beliefs and the others who do not want their company in their cities have a right to theirs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)