Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

Should the flag be allowed?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:35 AM
  • 9 Replies

Mall Reconsiders Flag Ban on Kiddie Train

Mall Reconsiders Flag Ban on Kiddie Train

Jul 30, 2012

The Stars and Stripes will once again adorn the kiddie train at the Clackamas Town Center in Oregon after mall management rescinded an order banning the American flag.

FOLLOW TODD ON FACEBOOK FOR CULTURE WAR NEWS. CLICK HERE!

A few weeks ago mall officials sent a letter to train conductor Thomas Phelps ordering him to remove the flags that decorated the train. The mall called them “unapproved visuals.”

Phelps, a military veteran, refused – and vowed to stand his ground – even if it meant he was fired.

“Why would anybody – anybody not want to see our flag displayed,” told KATU News. “I may be fired. I may be thrown out of the mall but I am not taking it down.”

Phelps said he hoped people would rally around the flag – and that’s exactly what happened. Local media outlets were flooded with hundreds of messages support Phelps.

As a result, mall management has had a change of heart, saying it never intended to offend or cause disrespect.

“We honor, support and respect what the United States flag represents,” the statement read. “The actions and latter that were communicated certainly did not convey that. And for this, we apologize.”

The mall said the American flag would be displayed not only at the kiddie train but at other locations within the mall.

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kerryket
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Yes it should and I'm glad he stood his ground and people did call to support him.

sissy852
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:38 AM
yes it should
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Of course it should!

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Quoting momofsixangels:

Of course it should!

mommy to two boys,
Tyler
Aug 9th,02
Jacob
dec 28,11
acrogodess
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Umm, last I checked we were in the USA. Is there a problem to display the US flag? The train is beautiful.

sreichelt26
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this
My thoughts exactly

Quoting acrogodess:

Umm, last I checked we were in the USA. Is there a problem to display the US flag? The train is beautiful.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janessa27
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting acrogodess:

Exactly!:)

kerryket
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Would like to have been the fly on the wall for the reasoning behind the request.

StephanAndCoral
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Quoting sreichelt26:

My thoughts exactly

Quoting acrogodess:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)