Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

Brave Dad Chases Down Would-Be Baby Snatcher & We Should Thank Him

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 1:22 PM
  • 7 Replies

Brave Dad Chases Down Would-Be Baby Snatcher & We Should Thank Him

Posted by Kiri Blakeley on August 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Imagine it's a nice sunny day and you're out enjoying the weather with your girlfriend and three daughters. And suddenly a strange man looks at you. And he begins approaching you. And then you realize he's not looking at you, but at your young daughters. And then the guy tries to grab your 2-year-old. And he says, "That's my daughter, Goldilocks." Ewwww, creepy, right?

Kelly Davis was out at a local plaza in Chicago with his family, girlfriend Amanda Green, newborn daughter Finley, Myla, 2, and 4-year-old sister Dorseya, when the man, whom he'd never seen before, grabbed the blonde, curly-haired 2-year-old Myla by the arm. Davis says he stepped between the man and his daughter and said, "I don't know what you're on, but you need to get away from my family" and pushed him. He says the man then threw a punch and took off running.

A lot of parents would have considered themselves fortunate that the situation was over, the children were safe, and bundled everyone off to call the police. But not Davis. He took off running after the guy.

Davis says he chased after the guy for at least half an hour through the city streets, sometimes walking, sometimes running. Davis told the local CBS station:

If he would’ve ran to the end of the city, I would’ve chased him to the end of the city.

Eventually, Davis managed to flag down police, who arrested James Gates, 55, who has a long criminal history.

Davis is being hailed as a "hero" by the press -- and a lot of commenters are saying, "Why's he a hero? He did what anyone would do." But really? Maybe not. Especially in a city where you often have to deal with unhinged types, a lot of people would have sighed with relief that the man was gone and tried to go on about their day. But Davis could have just saved another "Goldilocks" from being snatched by a disturbed man. He did it at a risk, however. The man could have had a weapon.

In most states, the mentally ill cannot be held against their will unless they are a threat to themselves or others, so though this man may have been dangerous, there's nothing that can be done until he actually does something. And now he did, so hopefully he'll be off the streets and getting some help.

Would you have chased after the man?

Click HERE to see video.

by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
acrogodess
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Damned straight I would!

kerryket
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I'm not sure I can run, lol, I'm in a lot of pain, but I bet the adrenaline rush of someone trying to grab a child I was with, especially my own would have kicked in.  Who knows then, I'd probably hurt someone pretty bad at the very least. 

I bet if my husband went after a deranged person I would be terrified for his safety, but I know my husband would have done the same thing this guy did.

Glad that it worked out, the guy is off the streets now, it may have saved another kid.

sissy852
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:18 PM
yes i would have
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Hell yes and I would have put a hurt on him!

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Sep. 1, 2012 at 12:14 AM
dang right i would!!
janessa27
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM
I sure would have...and I know DH would have too! If he hadn't ran after him there would probably always be a fear that he was watching them or coming after their little girl again. The dad put their minds at ease and could have saved somebody else!
mrswhite417
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM
I wouldnt have thought to chase after him. I probably would just be glad we were ok and shaking too bad to respond. If dh was with me, he may have chased the creep, but no one knows for sure what they would do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)