Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

MDA telethon

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 10:28 PM
  • 7 Replies

The Muscular Dystrophy Telethon is must-see TV watching during the Labor Day weekend, an end-of-summer tradition in the U.S. since it first began in New York City in 1954.

Now an entertainment extravaganza airing live from Los Angeles, the show for many years featured the much-loved actor and comedian Jerry Lewis rallying public support in the battle to combat muscular dystrophy, a crippling disease which currently has no known cure.

In a major announcement last year, it was revealed that after more than four decades the 85-year-old Lewis would be stepping down as the major host for the show.

Celine Dion, 2011 MDA Telethon

As Lewis himself would say, "the show must go on" as 2012 marks the 47th Annual Labor Day Telethon.

With last year's shakeup continuing to reverberate, the MDA announced in February that the 2012 telethon would be cut short from last year's already curtailed 6 hours to 3 hours this year --beginning at 8PM ET on Sunday, September 2.

As usual, the 2012 MDA telethon will be broadcast on some 160 “Love Network” television stations across the country and viewed on the Internet via streaming video athttp://www.mda.org/.

MDA Labor Day Telethon Stars

In 2012, Tim McGraw, Carrie Underwood and Luke Bryan are lending their time and talents to the MDA Labor Day Telethon, redubbed this year as "MDA Show of Strength."

Other artists participating in the three-hour telecast include Gavin DeGraw, Alanis Morissette, Paula Abdul, Hot Chelle Rae, Carole King, OneRepublic and Jesse McCartney, among others. The show will include performances from Nashville, Hollywood and New York, as well as celebrity appearances by Khloe Kardashian Odom, Nancy O'Dell and Alison Sweeney.

Nationwide, the telethon usually creates an outpouring of support from a big-hearted American public who in 2011 helped raise almost $61 million in pledges & contributions for both service and research programs of the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

Will 2012 prove to be another record-breaking year for muscular dystrophy research and support? Stay tuned ..

by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
acrogodess
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Oh, I missed it :(

kerryket
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't like what happened with Jerry Lewis, he did not step down, he was ousted.

taniamorse85
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I've never watched it.  Part of the reason was the association with Jerry Lewis.  I've read in multiple interviews over the years where he said things that were quite disparaging to people with disabilities.  As a PWD myself, I just can't get that out of my head.  I have no problem with the MDA, but I will always associate the telethon with Lewis and those comments.  If I ever donate to the MDA (which I probably will someday, in memory of a friend), I will donate directly to them rather than through the telethon.

janessa27
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I have never watched it either

kerryket
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:44 AM
I've never really felt that strongly about lewis's vernacular, it was not uncommon for the era he was from and was not meant to harm.

I do understand that many people found him overbearing, but he gave decades of his life to this cause, raised an incredible amount of money and the way this went down was wrong.

One aspect that bothers me is that many people in replies to stories about the way he was treated are saying they were regular donors in the past, but would no longer be giving, they ned to be reminded that this is about the kids and adults affected by terrible neuromuscular diseases and the services provided by the MDA, especially the research.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephanAndCoral
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I grew up watching it mostly because of my grandparents and parents we made it a weekend long event. I love Jerry Lewis (especially as an actor) he gave so much of his life to this as well as Jerry's kids. I did not watch it all last year because it was at times I couldn't. now with it being only late at night for 1 night for 3 hours. I will most likely never watch it. but when I find MDA shamrocks or Jerry's kids things then I will donate or purchase the item should I hae the money to do so.

kerryket
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Well, thanks to everyone who does give, you all have big hearts.  The MDA has provided medical services for my son for years, he has Becker's Muscular Dystrophy, before he aged out, he attended the MDA camp for free every summer, one year they even sent a rental to pick us up, as our transportation fell through.  He's due for a clinic appointment and if we need it, they will provide transportation there and back (over a hundred miles roundtrip).  We usually manage on our own, but it's nice to know they will help if we need it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)