Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make A Difference Make A Difference

Do you think sex offenders should be allowed to have Halloween candy?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:27 AM
  • 7 Replies

Sex Offenders Fighting to Give Candy on Halloween Make a Highly Offensive Argument

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on October 3, 2012 

HalloweenA group of registered sex offenders in Simi Valley are banding together to fight a law enacted last month that says they're no longer allowed to pass out candy on Halloween. They say it violates their First Amendment rights, and even worse, they say they are being treated like Jewish people during the Holocaust.

Keep it classy rapists and perverts!

Though it's true that none of the registered offenders has been involved in crimes involving children on Halloween, why take the chance? Simi Valley has asked that they place a sign in front of their house asking that children move on from their residence. To me, as a parent, it makes perfect sense. But their lawyer believes otherwise. She says:

"We can think of what happened in Nazi Germany, where Jews had to appear in public wearing yellow stars."

OK. You may have had me on the First Amendment. I can see how this might feel like a violation, and if you have "done your time," then you should be free back in society. I can even understand how sex offenders should be in prison if they're really such a risk, and these half ass laws meant to protect us only make us scared and angry.

THESE would be decent arguments. As a mom of kids who trick-or-treat on Halloween, I am not sure I would agree with them, but I might certainly be more apt to hear them.

You lost me at Nazi Germany, though. How on EARTH does this lawyer believe that sex offenders -- people who committed crimes against others on their own volition -- not being allowed to pass out Halloween candy is the same thing as gassing an entire race of people and their children? Perspective, please.

This is such a case of Godwin's Law, the law that states that no matter what argument is happening, someone will eventually reference the Holocaust. And it's especially galling here.

No, people who once raped others, you are nothing like the victims of genocide. If we ever start gassing you, then feel free to make the comparison. Until then, seriously, your lawyer is worse than your enemies.

Whatever the final decision is here, clearly they need a more elegant attorney.

Do you think sex offenders should be allowed to have Halloween candy?

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gmadiane
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I think when you do certain things in life you give up other things, sorry you wont find much sympathy here

momofsixangels
Trial starts the 25th next month. Hope he gets life or death row
Yesterday at 10:42 PM
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

No way!!!!

SisterPeach
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:28 PM

So, none of their crimes were against children? Why aren't they allowed to pass out candy, then? Baby rapists, sure. I'm totally for knowing who's in your neighbor hood that's a crime risk and avoiding them. But people get tagged an offender for all sorts of nonsense, including forwarding a naked picture of themselves!

Sort out the law. And parents, be responsible for your kids, don't expect the laws to do it for you.

kerryket
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Pigs, Jews in the holocaust were victims not criminals and predators like they are.

PEEK05
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I don't see why not.  I would hope parents are with their children at all times while trick-or-treating.

sissy852
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM
no they shouldnt be able to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:34 AM

I think the desire to hyper-regulate other people borders on fascism, and it's treating humans like objects. It is the fundamental form of evil.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)