Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bad case of Writer's Block and Lack of Ideas.

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 277 Total Views

Hey I joined this group a while back but I havent been too active lately. I am so frustrated with my empty mind right now. I want to write a short novel, but I feel like I have no good ideas and that everything has already been done before.

Anyone have tips for how to break out of this and where to go for inspiration? Thanks.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Krystina_Grant
by Group Owner on Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM

My father used to say there were no new ideas anymore. In my opinion they're just reworked and made original again. I'm not sure what will work for you. I find that when I can do something relaxing where my mind can wander my inspiration picks up. I used to go to Sea World and just watch the killer whales swim around. I've also had inspiration come while doing the dishes or showering. I guess for me being around water helps.

I would try meditating, hot bath or shower, going somewhere quiet and beautiful . . . Or I just get inspired by other works. Sometimes watching TV or a movie will spark an idea for me.

Anyway, those are just suggestions. I'm not sure any of it helped. I just shared what works for me.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Photobucket

jenzachsam
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 3:47 AM

There are always new topics and stories to tell.  You can use an old tale and twist it to make it yours.  I would sit down with a pen and paper and start brainstorming.  Like the topic of flowers.  An evil witch decided to curse the land with the absence of flowers.  I do heavy meditation and relaxing.  It's hard to do when you have kids running a muck.

brookiecookie87
by Member on Mar. 31, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Quoting jenzachsam:

There are always new topics and stories to tell.  You can use an old tale and twist it to make it yours.  I would sit down with a pen and paper and start brainstorming.  Like the topic of flowers.  An evil witch decided to curse the land with the absence of flowers.  I do heavy meditation and relaxing.  It's hard to do when you have kids running a muck.

The issue I am having is how do you take cliche ideas and make them original? I find myself coming to the paper and no ideas come to me. How do you find these ideas?

Thank you for the help.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

ohwrite
by New Member on May. 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I read, listen to music, and even watch movies for inspiration. Just because things have been done, doesn't mean you would do them the same way. 

I also like to go for a walk to clear my head, then I just start writing, I give myself permission to write crap...then just keep going. Some of it I throw away, but sometimes what comes out is good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN