Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Clothing issues and SPD

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:44 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 385 Total Views

Hi all :)  For starters my son has Sensory Processing Disorder, and is very sensetive to tactile stimuli. As of lately (past 4 months) he refuses to wear clothes around the house. The way I see it is , it's okay he's only 2. However the problem has gotten significantly worse. At first it was just right at bed time- before he fell asleep. He'd wear any form of pjs no matter the material, but it almost seemed that as soon as he became tired he wanted the pjs off. I told his OT this and she said perhaps he overheats . which is very true. So I don't fight with him at night about keeping clothes on. HOWEVER getting back to my main concern  I can't get him to put anything on during the day. I don't want to force him because he does have SPD- as well as a language delay so he can't or won't tell me what he doesn't like. And then to add to the frusteration, there are days when I am able to get him into clothes, but the minute he sits down to eat a meal or something spills on his clothing they need to come off, and trying to put a different outfit on him is similure to trying to wrestle a crocodile while wearing a blindfold lol.  I've tried cutting tags out, buying clothing with his favorite logos but that's really about it.  What really throws me for a loop is whenever we need to go somewehre and he knows this 99.9% of the time he will wear whatever I have picked out for him no matter the material. However with that said- he refuses to wear gloves. So this may not seem like a big deal, but my frusteration stems from the fact that I live in MN and the chili winter is just hitting us- the fact that my son will not keep gloves on is a cause for concern in that well little hands get cold very quickly. And also I can't afford to constantly keep my heat cranked up to nearly 80 all because he refuses to keep clothing on- and I want him to stay warm.  So if ANYBODY has any suggestions at this point I am open for anything. :) A big thank advanced thank you to all who reply 

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jdouglas111 Jessica
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Mine has SPD too, but he is the opposite with his SPD.  He LOVES anything rought/tight and I can't get him to stop wearing his gloves once he has them on.  Have you tried mittens instead of gloves, or really soft fleece sleepers, or maybe even bamboo clothing.  I'm suggesting the opposite of what Nathan likes and those are the first three things I think of for his dislikes.

thatonechic22
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Thank you for the awesoem suggestion(s)! I have tried gloves and fleece sleepers to no avail.BUT I think its actually the seams in clothing that really bother him. Its funny though because my son seeks out strong sensory stimuli every chance he gets loves to be wrapped tightly in blankets,also enjoys his compression vest at therapy-but clothes are another issue as of lately. I am totally going to look into bamboo clothing. I am pretty pumped,never knew such an option was out there- thank you again! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
briansmom123
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:54 PM

I have a son that has SPD, I have figured out pretty  much what he likes and dislike.  Once I understood that sertain clothes bothered him.  I took him shopping and tried to get him to tell me what  he likes and dislikes  Soft loose good cotton is a good place to start.   Look at lycra shirts, knit shirts,  thermal weave shirts.  Have him feel them  and buy a few that he seems to like.  My son like lycra jackets,  heavy knit sweaters that area bit smal., thermal weave shirts and soft cotton shirts.  Finding the right socks took a while.   Buy different types in small quanity  and see what he chooses to wear.  I found buying shoes to be a trick get them a half size larger than normal.    There are MANYclothing textures out there,  look for aternatives  that work for your soon.  HUGS  Hope that any of this helps you

thatonechic22
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 12:39 AM

:) Awe thanks for the advice on all the alternative things to do. I am not gonna lie I think sorting this clothing thing out may take some time and money. The thing that frusterates me , is the fact that when it comes to going out of the house I can dress my son in just about anything or I should say he will at least keep his clothing on. However he is extremely particular about "how he wears clothing" if that makes sense. For example  I cant layer clothing. I can't have him wear a t-shirt and then a warm button up left open- it HAS to be buttoned, all jackets have to be zipped completely- things like that.  At home if I am lucky enough to get him in clothing , as I mentioned in my original post- as soon as something spills on him, or rather his clothes they all need to come off completely. However there was one time at McDonald's playland where apparently some milk got on his pants so he just decided to take them off.  30 seconds of my son running around in his Thomas the Tank undies , was pretty priceless- Thank goodness he let me put his pants back on without a hitch. Whereas at home if this would have happened it would have been a different story. Anyway, it's just really hard trying to nail the root cause . Obviously he has sensory issues- but why sometimes and not others. I almost wonder if it's certain situations that make him more prone to a sensory overload (?) does that make sense. Wow I really like to babble, but its so nice to have other wonderful parents out there that have experience and wisdom to share. HUGS back to you as well and thank you for the reply

LadybugsMonkeys Char
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 1:42 AM
1 mom liked this

There is >>this tank top<< that he could wear under his shirt that provide the compression that is very  helpful to SPD kids.

http://www.smartknitkids.com/products.html have wonderful seamless socks, undies and tees.

http://www.childrensdisabilities.info/shops/shop-soft-clothing.html they have seamless tag-less super soft clothing for kids.

It is a bit price but so worth it when having to get little ones dressed. I also turned to making cloths for Shawn. I would go to thrift stores and buy old jeans, tees, sweatshirts, sweatpants, fleece, cotton. I had to play around a lot to figure out how to make smooth seams. 

Wilbarger Brushing is something that you should talk to his OT about. It has helped Shawn so much. He still wants tag-less smooth seams but I don't have to make clothes anymore. He still won't wear new jeans and some other cloths but it is getting better.

thatonechic22
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Thanks Ladybugsmonkeys you pretty much rock at life!. I had actually came across the smartknits for kids during my internet quest to find SOMETHING Adin would wear.  I also thought of getting him some underarmour brand tanks. Again I really think this is certainly something I am going to have to experiment with. I don't expect to find something he will wear 100% of the time without a hitch.  I won't lie, I am not so much concerned right now about what he wears in the house, as most times if we are going somewhere putting clothing on isn't the issue. But however I have tried every material from here to infinity for gloves but he will not wear a single pair.  He is actually sick right now. And considering the fact we go out of the house quiet a bit - although he is bundled up- I get paranoid his hands will get frost bit. Perhaps I will start constructing a bubble he can go in that's heated lol ;).  On the plus side, I did come up with an idea for keeping him warm at home. He loves to be wrapped in blankets (most of the time lol) so I thought maybe a kids snuggy (?)

Also about the Wilbarger, actually Mr. Adin had been recieving the brushing . I was doing it every 4 hrs everyday for about two months, and I saw huge improvements in him. Until one day out of the blue he made  a complete 360 and it seems that more and more gets to him especially tactially . So I told the therapist she suggested going to just either once in the morning or once at night- So I did and I figured every morning would be best for Adin. That seemed to be going well- and then within the past 3 weeks I can't even touch him with the brush. It went from something he loved and anticipated, - even helped with his speech. (he would tell me what to do, like make a "w" on his back) to something as soom as I would tell him to sit down "time for brushes" would send him screaming. - So I wasn't about to hold my child down for somethign that was supposed to help.  I think I am actually going to start doing the treatments at night. When he is completely wound down and in bed. Nothing else on his mind. In the mornings he is on a mission to get up and go! that could certainly be the reason why he can't sit still for his treatments .

WOW I talk a lot eh (type ;)  ) Anyway thank you again for all the links.  Looks like I will be doing some internet shopping soon :)

jdouglas111 Jessica
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 2:03 AM

OMG the compression tank is awesome...I've never seen anything like that except for the vests our OT let us borrow!  Have you bought anything from this website? 

jdouglas111 Jessica
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 2:04 AM

*SQUEAL*  They have FLAVORED oral sesonry sticks!!!  I found my new favorite internet shopping site!

thatonechic22
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 2:42 PM

*Totally doing happy dance!* I did not now about these Flavored oral sensory sticks- that is flippin' fabulous!. I actually haven't bought anything off the site as of yet. Gotta do some budgeting. Thinking soon though. It sure would be nice if insurance covered the cost of some of these things. BUT I guess I am thankful for a good insurance that at least covers his treatments.  I am however going to get him a compression tank this weekend. I actually bought him a body glove suit at a second hand store- 5 bucks practically new  - SCORE!. but as of recently he won't wear it without a struggle, however once it's on he thinks it's the bees knees lol.

LadybugsMonkeys Char
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 7:16 PM

I haven't purchased anything from sensory cravers website but that is only because their store is an hour drive from my house, right on the way to my brother's house. I love going there. I am like a kid in a candy store everytime I get to go there. (also have to keep me out of Hobby Lobby and United Art and Education)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)