Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New weighted blanket!

Posted by (Jessica) on May. 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 258 Total Views

So we got our new weighted blanket in the mail today.  At first I was really bummed because they sent us the wrong color/design and it's just a little heavier than I would have liked.  But once it was out and I showed it to Nathan he used his podd to tell me it was his favorite and he liked the weight of it.  So I guess we'll just keep this one!  It's 7.5 lb, and his OT told us the weight he should have according to his size then had us order up so he would have been getting a 6 lb which is what he has now.  But he LOVES the wweight of this one.  We'll see how he does with it, he's been in bed for about ten minutes and hasn't started his normal kicking/hitting/clawing/bouncning/moaning that he does. 

by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
CopperGirl Melanie
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I will be curious to hear how it goes. I found a plan online to make them yesterday. How much does Nathan weigh? He is your SPD kiddo that is 2 right? Please let me know and then I can kind of figure out how heavy to make one for my son. :) I am thinking about making one for my daughter too. :)

jdouglas111 Jessica
by on May. 11, 2012 at 5:10 PM

The therapist said 10% of body weight plus a pound.  So Nathan is 32lbs and would use a 4 lb blanket, she let us borrow a 4 lb, then a 5lb.  The 5lb worked well but we decided to go the next step up to the 6 lb.  I think 6 would have been perfect, the 7.5 lb is too heavy for him.  He fell alseep right away and seemed happy until he tried to move in his sleep, then he woke up freaking out.  He was fighting against it like it was suffocating him and once he was calm and I tried to put it back on him he screamed and ran from it.  So back it goes. 

CopperGirl Melanie
by on May. 14, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Ok, that is good to know. My little guy is 34 lbs, so pretty close. Thanks for sharing! :)

LadybugsMonkeys Char
by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Some kids do better with heavier, some cant stand the weight. I started out by folding up a couple heavy quilts. Or bean bag chair.

There is if you habe a sewing machine or know someone that does, and can sew a straight line. It is pretty easy to make one.

Stack four layers of fabric 2 that you want to be the front and back place them face (right) sides together. The other two pieces of fabric is the backing place on the top & bottom of the stack. Sew around three sides leaving one of the short sides open.
Turn the fabric right side out and measure the short end. Mark every three inches or so. Sew to make tubes ffrom the open end to the other short side of the blanket. Mark lines three inches apart going the other way. Count how many squares there will be. Divide the total weight by the number of squares. Pour the portion of weight in each tube-shake it down to the bottom. Sew across the line you made. Repeat until you have the total weight & each square filled. Fold over the raw edge of the fabric and stitch closed.
I added a bit of polyfil in each square to fill it out and make it softer.

Fabric & Craft stores sell weighted poly-pellets. I used plastic BBs for when of the projects. Making a lappad is the same, just on a smaller scale.

10% of their body weight plus one pound is how you figure out the weight of a blanket. So a 40 pound child 10% of that is 4 pounds so he would need a 5 pound blanket.
5% of their body weight plus one pound is how you figure a lappad so the same 40 pound child would need a 3 pound lappad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meganh4133
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I made one for my son after we tried the one we checked out from his OT and he ended up needing to go all the way up to a 10 lb one and he only weighs 34 lbs. So I would always recommend checking one out before buying, otherwise making them is a lot cheaper than buying if you are even a little handy with a sewing machine it's actually quite easy to make.

LadybugsMonkeys Char
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Meganh4133, what did you use for filler?

I cant remember if I posted my directions on here of how I made a lappad for my two LEKs. It is almost the same as making a weighted blanket and it is the easiest way I have found. I have been having net issues, but tech will be here between 1 & 3 tomorrow to fix our month plus long problem. I am getting really tired of having to go to mcdonalds or the library just to get nonlinear, plus it is way to hot here to sit in the parking lot. If I don't have the step by step directions on here with photos/drawings, I will post it tomorrow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meganh4133
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I used Poly-pellets to weigh it and Polyfil to keep it soft and cuddly like a blanket should be, this was a during picture I took at the time. I don't have any pictures of it finished yet but that will be soon I'm sure since most pictures I take of DS are while he's sleeping and actually cooperative :) 

jdouglas111 Jessica
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:25 PM
What kind of material did you use?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meganh4133
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Quoting jdouglas111:

What kind of material did you use?

I just went to Joann's and bought cotton material and used my 50% off coupon so got a really good deal on that. The whole blanket ended up costing me $30 to make. Which is awesome since the 10lb ones we were looking at online were between $100-$200 depending on the design. Plus I got to make it with a pattern that I let my son pick out so I knew he would like it :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)