Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm a little freaked out, siezure question.

Posted by (Jessica) on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 236 Total Views
I spoke to a dr in the UK about Nathans gene duplication. She is a genetic researcher studing 8th chromosome abnormalities and has all of Nates medical records. She skyped me to talk about his development and expectations and she told me to watch him closely for seizures. She had me add it as a concern on his iep even. This freaks me out! I'm starting to research seizures now, any good information sources you'd recommend? I guess 65% of kids with 8th chromosome issues end up with them by puberty, she didn't know for sure if he would because there are no other cases of anyone with the same duplication. Aaaaagh!

Little Lupie Jessica purple ribbon

by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
cjsk
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this
The first thing to remember is that unless they have apnea (stop breathing) it won't do any permanent damage so long as they don't get hurt by knocking their head on the floor or something. Everyone thinks of the Grand Mall seizures when they think of seizures and those are the scariest, but not the only kind. The thing to remember is any involuntary movement is a seizure. Even an eye twitch that keeps repeating. A doctor friend of mine told me that 1 in every 11 people have a full blown seizure at some point in their lives, so its not as uncommon as you think. I'm sure there is tones more I could tell you that I'm just not thinking of right now. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
jdouglas111 Jessica
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:50 AM
Oh man I have so many questions...The main two right now are what do you do for them during and after? Like do the come to afterwards scared or do they not even know it happened, and can you help stop one or does it just run it's course?

Quoting cjsk:

The first thing to remember is that unless they have apnea (stop breathing) it won't do any permanent damage so long as they don't get hurt by knocking their head on the floor or something. Everyone thinks of the Grand Mall seizures when they think of seizures and those are the scariest, but not the only kind. The thing to remember is any involuntary movement is a seizure. Even an eye twitch that keeps repeating. A doctor friend of mine told me that 1 in every 11 people have a full blown seizure at some point in their lives, so its not as uncommon as you think. I'm sure there is tones more I could tell you that I'm just not thinking of right now. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsk
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:34 AM

The only way I know to stop one is to give them diastat.  it is a rectal med that the dr can give you an rx for.  The most important thing in a seizure is just to make sure they dont hurt themselves during.  dont try to hold them down, but put some thing soft under thier head if possible, even if its your leg or something.  When they come out of it sometimes people can be disoriented for a while, so you need to keep an eye on them. Some seizure will make a person sleepy, so if they go to sleep, just let them.  After a while you will start to see a pattern and know better hat to expect and what to do.

jdouglas111 Jessica
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Thank you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)