Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it really cheaper?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:44 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 353 Total Views

I've had so many people ask me if it's REALLY cheaper to make my own bread. Well, without taking into account the fact that I know my bread has no preservatives or additives, I can say that it IS cheaper. Here's a short breakdown of some recipes:

**One cup of unbleached bread flour (bought in 50 lb. bags) = around 11¢ per cup. I buy the yeast in 1 lb. packages for $3.19 and is the equivalent of 64 individual packages = 5¢ for 2 1/4 tsp. (equivalent of 1 pkg.)**

Our favorite loaf calls for 1/2 c. cooked rice (2¢), water (free), 1 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil (.7¢), 2 Tbsp. sugar (3.4¢), 2 tsp. salt (.5¢), 3 c. unbleached bread flour (33¢) and 1 1/2 tsp. yeast (3.3¢). Total cost = 42.9¢ for a loaf of fresh homemade bread.

My favorite 100% whole wheat bread calls for 1/2 c. warm water (free), 1/3 c. warm milk (4.7¢), 6 Tbsp plain yogurt (about 5¢ since I make my own), 2 Tbsp. honey (15.6¢), 2 Tbsp. butter (4.3¢), 2 Tbsp. potato flakes (1.8¢), 2 Tbsp. wheat germ (6¢), 1/2 tsp. salt (.1 ¢), 3 c. whole wheat flour (64¢), and 1 tsp. yeast (2.2¢). Total cost = $1.03 for a loaf of fresh 100% moist whole wheat bread.

Italian bread: good for making garlic bread, french bread pizzas, french toast, or just plain eating calls for 1 1/3 c. warm water (free), 1 1/2 tsp. oil (.7¢), 1 Tbsp. brown sugar (4.6 ¢), 1 1/2 tsp. salt (3.7 ¢), 4 c. flour (44¢), 2 1/4 tsp. yeast (5¢) Total cost = 58¢ for a loaf of fresh Italian bread.

How about hamburger buns? 1 1/4 c. milk (17.5 ¢), 1 egg (9¢), 2 Tbsp. butter (4.3¢), 1/4 c. sugar (6.8¢), 3/4 tsp. salt (1.9¢), 3 3/4 c. flour (41.2¢), 1 1/4 tsp. yeast (2.8¢) Total cost for 12 fresh, homemade buns = 83.5¢.

How about yogurt? Without taking into account the initial purchase of plain yogurt to start:

1/2 gallon milk ($1.13), 1/2 cup plain yogurt saved from the previous batch = 5.27 ¢ (yes, that's CENTS) per 8 oz (typical cup of yogurt). Add your own fruit and sweeteners. It's still cheaper than the 40¢ - 50¢ per 8 oz. you're paying when the yogurt is on sale!

I could go on and on with more recipes and their costs, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Rhonda

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sassymomntx1961
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2011 at 1:29 AM

you rockhappy

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

Helpmyhusband
by Member on Sep. 16, 2011 at 12:31 PM
It really is cheaper! I made 20 or so sideshots the other day for less then 3.00 and to buy a family package of 20 its almost 11.00... My kids don't like store bought cereal anymore so now I have to make it and that is saving me about 10 bucks a week!
sassymomntx1961
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Quoting Helpmyhusband:

It really is cheaper! I made 20 or so sideshots the other day for less then 3.00 and to buy a family package of 20 its almost 11.00... My kids don't like store bought cereal anymore so now I have to make it and that is saving me about 10 bucks a week!

I know I will prob feel real silly but what does side shots mean?

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

Helpmyhusband
by Member on Sep. 19, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Quoting sassymomntx1961:

Quoting Helpmyhusband:

I know I will prob feel real silly but what does side shots mean?

They are those little things that hot poket makes, little burger shaped buns stuffed with hamburger or sloppy joes.... The big box comes in a 20 count and they are pakaged by 2's... I ddin't know what they were either until my kids brought them up to me...

hobbit1123
by Member on Sep. 20, 2011 at 9:37 AM

I love making my own bread even if it did come out more expensive i'd still make it b/c of the additves,etc...plus my kids love homemade bread...care to share how you made your sideshots?

Helpmyhusband
by Member on Sep. 20, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Quoting hobbit1123:

I love making my own bread even if it did come out more expensive i'd still make it b/c of the additves,etc...plus my kids love homemade bread...care to share how you made your sideshots?

SURE!!

You make your basic roll dough and let it rise both times required (once right after making and once after shaping).

While the dough is doing rise #2 fry up your hamburger (with seasoning of your choice) and drain. I usually put paper towels in the bottom of a cake pan, pour beef and grease in it and cover with another and slightly press down. It makes the burger easy to handle and less mess :o)

I usually use 2 types of sliced cheese (munster and swiss is what i use),Cut the slices into 1x1 inch squares . After the dough is finished rising flip it over and stuff the cheese and burger in and pinch to close. I usuallly try to smooth them out on the top after stuffing because they tend to get a little lumpy.

Bake for 12-15 minutes at 400 or whatever the roll recipe calls for.

The amout of hamburger and cheese you put in is entirley up to the person making them. There is no size requirements either :o)

You can do this with sloppy joes too..

michiganmom116
by Kitchen Owner on Sep. 20, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Quoting Helpmyhusband:

Quoting hobbit1123:

SURE!!

You make your basic roll dough and let it rise both times required (once right after making and once after shaping).

While the dough is doing rise #2 fry up your hamburger (with seasoning of your choice) and drain. I usually put paper towels in the bottom of a cake pan, pour beef and grease in it and cover with another and slightly press down. It makes the burger easy to handle and less mess :o)

I usually use 2 types of sliced cheese (munster and swiss is what i use),Cut the slices into 1x1 inch squares . After the dough is finished rising flip it over and stuff the cheese and burger in and pinch to close. I usuallly try to smooth them out on the top after stuffing because they tend to get a little lumpy.

Bake for 12-15 minutes at 400 or whatever the roll recipe calls for.

The amout of hamburger and cheese you put in is entirley up to the person making them. There is no size requirements either :o)

You can do this with sloppy joes too..

Great idea!  Have you ever tried stuffing them before the 2nd rise?

Rhonda

Helpmyhusband
by Member on Sep. 20, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I actually haven't... May have to try that next :o)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)