Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you like to see?

Are you looking for a specific recipe?

Looking for a recipe to fit a specific need?

Would like to see more of ________________?

Let me know here!

by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Replies (11-18):
michiganmom116
by Kitchen Owner on Sep. 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Quoting paintsgalore:

I'm struggling to keep it going in my household. Don't get me wrong, we all eat lots of veggies &salads but Rick & both boys are digging their heels in about giving up the processed foods. So maybe more ideas to appeal to the guys.

What sort of foods do they like?  Pizza?  steak?  burgers?

paintsgalore
by New Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 9:34 AM
Rick's a big meat & potatoes guy but loves his snacks. You nailed the boys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Kitchen Owner on Sep. 3, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Quoting paintsgalore:

Rick's a big meat & potatoes guy but loves his snacks. You nailed the boys.

My family hates giving up the processed foods, too.  My DH won't give up the beer.

Meat & potatoes are okay...I know potatoes aren't strict Paleo, but I give in on that just to keep them happy.  Have you tried the almond flour crust for pizza?  I haven't found a good recipe for burger buns yet, but the kids do like burger patties (like a meatloaf patty) with gravy on it.  I'll give in every once in a while and let them have burgers with buns maybe once a month...I'll just have mine with salad and no bun.

I would just keep a gradual change going for them.  Soon they won't realize that they're not eating processed foods because they're enjoying other good foods.  It took my family 6 months, and they STILL want some treats every now and then.  I'll cave maybe once every couple of months because sometimes it's just not worth the fight.  Doesn't mean that I have to eat the garbage, though.

paintsgalore
by New Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 9:41 AM
While Rick is at work for 3 weeks at a time the cooks in the galley use a lot of sauces & gravies on everything. So while he is home he likes me to keep things simple but that makes it a little on the boys side for me & the boys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Kitchen Owner on Sep. 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Quoting paintsgalore:

While Rick is at work for 3 weeks at a time the cooks in the galley use a lot of sauces & gravies on everything. So while he is home he likes me to keep things simple but that makes it a little on the boys side for me & the boys.

simple, like: tacos or taco salad, stuffed meatloaf w/baked potatoes, almond flour crust pizza, baked chicken wings....that sort of thing?  They're more primal than paleo but they'd work.

elijahsmama09
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM

My biggest challenge is snacking. My son and hubby are huge snackers(grazing on food all day) and most snacks are processed. I try to keep cheese stciks, fresh fruit, veggies with dip and deli meat around for snacking...but my hubby is a big kid. If their is a bag of chips in the house(which he brought home) then that is what he wants to eat and gets cranky if I suggest something else. I have made paleo or gluten free versions of burritos, pizza pockets(and ham and cheese pockets), and going to be making a pop-tarts recipe soon, and he loved that. Just need more make ahead type foods like that I guess.

I am making up 4 batches of the mock potatoes we all like, then freeze into dinner size portions. Hubby commented on the fact that mock potatoes take a bit of work, compared to instant potatoes. So this was my answer.

michiganmom116
by Kitchen Owner on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM

If you can invest in some round steak or chicken breasts, there's a recipe for jerky marinade in the snacks post.

How about making some veggie chips?  I've used things like carrots and sweet potatoes, and I slice them thin, stir them with olive oil, and then lay out on a pan.  Salt them and roast them until crisp. 

I'll look for more recipes!

Quoting elijahsmama09:

My biggest challenge is snacking. My son and hubby are huge snackers(grazing on food all day) and most snacks are processed. I try to keep cheese stciks, fresh fruit, veggies with dip and deli meat around for snacking...but my hubby is a big kid. If their is a bag of chips in the house(which he brought home) then that is what he wants to eat and gets cranky if I suggest something else. I have made paleo or gluten free versions of burritos, pizza pockets(and ham and cheese pockets), and going to be making a pop-tarts recipe soon, and he loved that. Just need more make ahead type foods like that I guess.

I am making up 4 batches of the mock potatoes we all like, then freeze into dinner size portions. Hubby commented on the fact that mock potatoes take a bit of work, compared to instant potatoes. So this was my answer.

elijahsmama09
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Sweet potato or carrot chips sound like a great idea! I know they would like that. Thanks for the idea!

My hubby loves jerky. I dont have a dehydrator though...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)