Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'll post recipes here for common things you'd buy at the store...but you can make them yourself for less $$!

Don't be fooled:  some of the things here WILL take some time to make.  Bread doesn't rise in a few seconds...

by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:34 AM
Replies (31-39):
scorpiobabes
by New Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 6:54 AM

I'll keep my eyes peeled for one. Currently I only have a hand mixer, so that obviously won't work well. Thanks!

sassymomntx1961
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:47 AM

You have a recipie for sweet and sour sauce?I want to make chicken nuggest in sweet and sour sauce.How about butter

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

inluvwcntryby
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Rhonda~  If you were going to make a homemade casserole with these, would you cook them first then add or cook with the casserole?

I've got leftover turkey and gravy that I plan to use tonight.  I was thinking of thinning out the gravy some and adding chopped veggies and voila, turkey noodle casserole. *hate for food to go to waste*

Quoting michiganmom116:

Plain Egg Noodle Dough:

• 2 1/2 c. flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 c. milk
  • 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine

Stir dry ingredients together. Mix in rest of ingredients and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Divide dough into halves or thirds and roll out on lightly floured surface to about 1/8" thick. Cut into desired widths/shapes. Lay on cookie sheets to dry for at least an hour. If not using right away, put into container or resealable plastic bag and refrigerate until ready to use.

michiganmom116
by Kitchen Owner on Dec. 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I'd cook them first, but only for a few minutes.  They need less time than bagged noodles from the store.

Quoting inluvwcntryby:

Rhonda~  If you were going to make a homemade casserole with these, would you cook them first then add or cook with the casserole?

I've got leftover turkey and gravy that I plan to use tonight.  I was thinking of thinning out the gravy some and adding chopped veggies and voila, turkey noodle casserole. *hate for food to go to waste*

Quoting michiganmom116:

Plain Egg Noodle Dough:

• 2 1/2 c. flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 c. milk
  • 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine

Stir dry ingredients together. Mix in rest of ingredients and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Divide dough into halves or thirds and roll out on lightly floured surface to about 1/8" thick. Cut into desired widths/shapes. Lay on cookie sheets to dry for at least an hour. If not using right away, put into container or resealable plastic bag and refrigerate until ready to use.

michiganmom116
by Kitchen Owner on Dec. 24, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Quoting sassymomntx1961:

You have a recipie for sweet and sour sauce?I want to make chicken nuggest in sweet and sour sauce.How about butter

Butter:  put (not homogenized) heavy cream in a quart jar, then tightly cover with the lid.  Shake gently back and forth until you see small flakes of butter forming.  Shake gently for a little longer, then strain the buttermilk off.   The butter flakes should squeeze together into a ball.  Rinse until water rinses off clear, then add a little salt and knead it in.

Sweet & sour sauce:  I'll have to find one!

elijahsmama09
by Member on Dec. 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Sweet and Sour Sauce

1/2 C brown sugar, packed

pineapple juice from can of chunks

•1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

•1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

•2 teaspoons chili powder ( i use like 2 tbsp.)

•2/3 cup ketchup

•2 teaspoons soy sauce

cornstarch and cold water to make a slurry

Mix brown sugar, salt, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, and chili powder in skillet until well blended. Turn skillet to medium heat and let simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in ketchup and soy sauce. Stir in corn starch mixture and blend well, sauce will become very thick

27 yr old Mother to one boy, age 3. Married to my best friend of 9 yrs.
sassymomntx1961
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting sassymomntx1961:

Butter:  put (not homogenized) heavy cream in a quart jar, then tightly cover with the lid.  Shake gently back and forth until you see small flakes of butter forming.  Shake gently for a little longer, then strain the buttermilk off.   The butter flakes should squeeze together into a ball.  Rinse until water rinses off clear, then add a little salt and knead it in.

Where can you find the cream at?

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

michiganmom116
by Kitchen Owner on Dec. 25, 2012 at 3:00 PM

That's a good question! Actually, whipping cream will work (yes, I was wrong), or un-homogenized milk.

Quoting sassymomntx1961:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting sassymomntx1961:

Where can you find the cream at?

michiganmom116
by Kitchen Owner on May. 13, 2014 at 8:36 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)