Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frustrations

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 206 Total Views

I usually have a large garden, and this year was to be no different.  I planted strawberries, peas, green beans, cucumbers, beets, carrots, parsnips, kale, salad greens, onions, potatoes, sweet corn, winter squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, two kinds of tomatoes, 3 kinds of melons, and 2 kinds of peppers.

From June until just last week, we had no rain.  We had to water daily and we still watched our plants wither a bit.  Weeds grew just great while the plants didn't do so well.  Last Wednesday/Thursday/into Friday morning, we got 7 3/4 inches of rain!  Now there are many of the plants (beans, beets, carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, peppers) are dying because there's TOO MUCH water and the ground is still over saturated.

Fighting Mother Nature is not a battle I'm doing too good at.

by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
chrissysnow22
by Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Oh no!! That's horrible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
txcowgirl84
by Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Ive lost everything last year. We had a bad drought. This year my family garden went pretty well. Im hoping i can do my own garden next year.if mother nature will work alittle in our favor. I want to plant more than what my parents do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stacie03
by Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Boo! We have had a terrible time trying to keep our garden dry. We got the same amount of rain last week and I have already watered again. My garden is on very hard clay though so it doesn't take to long to dry out and compact. This is my first garden and I'm quite surprised at how well it's doing all things considered.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jody230
by Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Our garden is not doing good either. It got hot too fast, and the peas and lettuce died. Then it was so dry, I was struggling to keep everything alive, now it's raining, but it's downpours, not a nice soaking rain. I think it is because I really was counting on a major canning season. I bought extra jars, a second pot, and a foodmill.

elijahsmama09
by Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 7:52 AM

My garden did this last year, and after all the money we put into it, we figured out it was cheaper(not to mention easier!) to just go the the Amish and buy it from them. I am lucky though...I have organic Amish produce 20 minutes from my house. I just get the produce from them, and can,freeze,preserve like I would if I planted it.

My mother some how managed a garden this year and it is doing very well. But she has a very green thumb.

yupok
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM

My dad had a green thumb, could make anything grow no matter if it was dry or wet.  Me, on the other hand, all I have to do is LOOK at plants and they wither up and die...so I can't help you out on this one.  Good luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)