Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paleo/primal questions or comments (do not put in the recipes post, please)

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM
  • 105 Replies
  • 827 Total Views

Almost 1/2 of the replies in the original paleo/primal recipes post were comments or questions.  In an effort to keep the recipes posts "clean" and easier to search through, I created this post for you to ask questions or leave comments on recipes.  If you post a comment or question in the recipes post, I'll move it here. 

Thanks !

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Kitchen Owner on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM

elijahsmama09

by Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Ok, I googled it. :D I really think the concept could be very healthy and especially for those prone to weight issues, weight gain, or who have diabetes.

Here is the jist: "Centered on commonly available modern foods, the "contemporary" Paleolithic diet consists mainly of grass-fed pasture raised meats, fish, vegetables, fruit, roots, and nuts, and excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils." 

I like beans, which are a legume right? So I would be breaking it right ther,e lol. I also love dairy. We all need to omit excess salt, refined sugar, and processed oil. That is a no brainer. I limit grains, and especially "white" kind. My Dad doesn't eat ANY starch, this includes pasta, breads, etc. No grains at all, he is diabetic. In fact with the exception of dairy and beans....I would follow this.

michiganmom116
by Kitchen Owner on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Quoting elijahsmama09:

Ok, I googled it. :D I really think the concept could be very healthy and especially for those prone to weight issues, weight gain, or who have diabetes.

Here is the jist: "Centered on commonly available modern foods, the "contemporary" Paleolithic diet consists mainly of grass-fed pasture raised meats, fish, vegetables, fruit, roots, and nuts, and excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils." 

I like beans, which are a legume right? So I would be breaking it right ther,e lol. I also love dairy. We all need to omit excess salt, refined sugar, and processed oil. That is a no brainer. I limit grains, and especially "white" kind. My Dad doesn't eat ANY starch, this includes pasta, breads, etc. No grains at all, he is diabetic. In fact with the exception of dairy and beans....I would follow this.

Legumes are seeds and contain the same toxins as grains, not to mention the carb load and the fact they are really a poor source of nutrition when compared to other foods (meat in particular).  If you were to eat a small handful of raw or undercooked kidney beans, you would be very sick shortly after.  That is how toxic they are.  While I did cut most of them out of our diet and don't miss them at ALL, we still enjoy baked beans a few times a year, but it wreaks havoc on digestive systems of more than a few in my family. 

As for the dairy...you'll get some Paleo followers that still consume a few dairy products such as cheese, kefir, and butter.  We eat cheeses and use real butter, although not nearly as much.  Dairy is used more as a condiment than a food source.  There are reasons for that, too.  Lactic acid is something that many people cannot tolerate.  Dairy products actually increase mucus production, aggravating colds, sinus infections, etc.  Drinking a lot of milk actually can contribute to osteoporosis.  Milk and yogurt STILL carry a significant carb load, making them detrimental for diabetics to consume.

michiganmom116
by Kitchen Owner on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM

sassymomntx1961
by Member on Oct. 4, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Primal Chicken Nuggets

What you need:

• 3-4 chicken breasts, diced into chunks
  • 1/2 c. mayo
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 2 tbsp yellow or dijon mustard

Breading:

• 1/3 c. sesame seeds (optional but I LOVE the crunch!)
  • 3/4 c. almond flour
  • 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • pinch of salt

What you do:

• Mix the mayo, mustard, and honey in a bowl and put in the chicken chunks and coat.
chickeninmayo

• Mix the breading ingredients on a large plate
mixedbreading

• Remove the nuggets from the mayo mix and roll in breading
  • Lay on foiled cookie sheet.
rawbreaded

• Bake at 350 for approx 30-40 minutes (time varies depending on size of nuggets) until brown, crispy, and cooked through.
finishedonplate

Optional honey mustard dipping sauce:
1/4 c. mayo
2 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tbsp honey

The recipe is from http://www.primalmatriarch.com/2010/08/primal-chicken-nuggets.html

I might need to try this one.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

michiganmom116
by Kitchen Owner on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM

elijahsmama09

by Member on Oct. 8, 2011 at 11:35 AM
These recipes sound delicious. Not at all what I was thinking. How hard of a time did you have finding some of the ingredients? Like Almond flour, or coconut flour? I have never even heard of them. Were they really expensive?
michiganmom116

elijahsmama09

by Member on Oct. 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM
Also...do you have any recommended cookbooks that feature this? I think my dad would really love them.
michiganmom116

michiganmom116

by Kitchen Owner on Oct. 8, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Quoting elijahsmama09:

These recipes sound delicious. Not at all what I was thinking. How hard of a time did you have finding some of the ingredients? Like Almond flour, or coconut flour? I have never even heard of them. Were they really expensive?

They're usually found at health food stores.  I bought mine from Amazon.  They ARE expensive (about $5/lb.)  but you have to realize that most recipes use a lot less of these than what we would use regular flour.  Keep in mind that they do have fiber and are low carb, which regular flour cannot match.

michiganmom116
by Kitchen Owner on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:33 AM

michiganmom116

by Kitchen Owner on Oct. 8, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Quoting elijahsmama09:

Also...do you have any recommended cookbooks that feature this? I think my dad would really love them.

Two books:  Make It Paleo and Paleo Comfort Foods.  There are many more, but these are the two most popular right now.  I'd love to have both of them!

I get many of my recipes just by Googling.  www.paleoplan.com has MANY yummy ones!

michiganmom116

elijahsmama09

by Member on Oct. 8, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Thanks for answering my questions! I really want to try this out on my Dad. I think he would love it, as it is sometimes hard to find good low or no carb dinners that are also low in fat.

michiganmom116

michiganmom116

by Kitchen Owner on Oct. 8, 2011 at 8:29 PM

These are low in unhealthy fats, but we do not consider saturated fats to be unhealthy, only most polyunsaturated fats.  The reason behind that is that our bodies are made to digest and use saturated fats in a natural, healthy way while polyunsaturated fats are NOT natural and are usually chemically extracted.  The resulting LDL particle size allows the polyunsaturated fats to cause more problems in our body.

michiganmom116
by Kitchen Owner on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM

michiganmom116

by Kitchen Owner on Oct. 8, 2011 at 8:35 PM

....or something like that  LOL

All I know is that when I started eating this way, my cholesterol dropped like a rock without the use of meds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)