Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

diagnosed with gluten intolerence

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:40 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 312 Total Views
HI! I have recently been diagnosed with hashimotos disease and a gluten intolerence. I am having to switch my whole diet and that of my family as well as my 18 month old might have the dame gluten intolerence. The problem is affording all of the gluten free food. We have planted a big garden and have chickens and pigs for meat and eggs. Didnt know if you could give me some ideas on cheaper food idead. I am supposedto limit bean and diary because of the hashimotos. Thank you in advance for any help!! n
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
michiganmom116
by Kitchen Owner on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Heather, the paleo/primal diet is PERFECT for people with gluten intolerance and also for people with Hashimoto's...even to the point of reversing the effects and eliminating the symptoms for Hashimoto's.

I follow paleo/primal.  I don't buy gluten-free mixes or special gluten-free foods.  If you want bread for sandwiches, there is a good recipe or two in the Paleo/Primal recipes post in this group.  It's made using real food ingredients like almond meal or coconut flour instead of ingredients of which I have no common knowledge.

For dairy, you can substitute coconut oil for butter in baking or cooking.  We stopped drinking milk, but there are things like coconut milk or almond milk that you can use instead.  Peanuts are a legume, too, so you may want to avoid them...but cashew, sunflower, or almond butter are tasty substitutes.  Those things aren't necessarily cheaper, but they'll work.

As for creating cheaper meals, I just don't often make things that require those expensive ingredients.  Breakfast is usually eggs & veggies of some sort, sometimes some pancakes or waffles made with coconut or almond flours.  Lunches are homemade soups, big salads, leftovers from dinner, lettuce wrap sandwiches, etc.  Dinners are a serving of meat and two - three veggies/fruits in some form, or even a mix of those in a casserole.  Yes, we eat more veggies than we did before, but by avoiding purchasing breads/cereal/pasta/legumes and all the things that go with them, we save money.

Cooking from scratch will be vital. I have recipes...oodles of them....and I am constantly on the lookout for more that will work within the parameters of my diet.  Meal planning will be a good idea, too.  I have plenty of meal plans that embrace the gluten/dairy free diet in the Weekly Meal Plans post under the Meal Planning forum.  Your garden will be a GREAT help to you, and if you can get your hands on more produce and freeze it, that'll help hold you through the winters.

Buying coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut flour, almond flour, nut butters can get expensive, but I've found that Amazon is pretty good cost-wise when compared to most local stores.

For more info on the paleo/primal diet, start here:  marksdailyapple.com

michiganmom116
by Kitchen Owner on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Also, I've read that you need to avoid iodine.  Sea salt may be a better idea for you than regular iodized salt.

Heather112611
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much for your help! A stay at home moms budget has little wiggle room so I really appreciate the help.  I am going to try to meal plan better and I will look at amazon for the different coconut and almond flours because I looked at them at the store and there is no way I can afford that! Thank you again so much!!

Heather112611
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the links they are a big help! I am looking forward to finally feeling like a normal person!!!

sweetboys4me
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Quoting Heather112611:

Thank you so much for your help! A stay at home moms budget has little wiggle room so I really appreciate the help.  I am going to try to meal plan better and I will look at amazon for the different coconut and almond flours because I looked at them at the store and there is no way I can afford that! Thank you again so much!!

We are in a similar situation and are having to revamp our entire way of eating as well. You can make your own almond flour with almonds and a blender. Amazon has an amazing deal for coconut flour. $55 for a 25 lb bag. Most recipes only call for 1/4-1/2 cup, so if you know anyone to help split the cost. It can be a cheap way to go. Hope you get well soon!
musicpisces
by New Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

This website has some good recipes, too: http://www.elanaspantry.com/

The Costco here now has almond and coconut flours!  That's helped reduce the budget a bit.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)