Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Love Being A Mom I Love Being A Mom

is this normal at all??? (please help)

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 9:49 PM
  • 19 Replies

Just a little back story...

My 10 month old used to LOVE everyone until she was 5 months old...then all of a sudden she started getting really nervous and scared when someone who didn't live in our house(it's my inlaws, hubby, myself and the baby). Now when I say scared, I actually mean absolutely hysterical, to the point she starts crying and hyperventilating which leads to puking. I mean she's even scared of people she sees on a weekly basis(example: every weekend hubby's aunts come down to visit and she gets hysterical every time she sees them). It literally happened in no time at all...Easter we had family over and everyone was holding her, and she was playing w/ hubby's guy cousin's boobs LOL We saw that same cousin and the rest of the family like 4 days later and she was hysterical.

It happens when we take her out too...she's fine when people are at their distance, but if they get within a 5 ft distance, she freaks out, especially when they smile at her. It's the worst if it's a guy, ESPECIALLY older men...she freaks out big time when old guys are anywhere near her lol

Frankly it's starting to bum people out...hubby's family adores her, but they can't be in the same room as her without her freaking out. We've managed to kind of force her to get used to people, by not leaving the room and getting them to play with her, and she'll stop crying, but she won't go near them, and if they get too close, she's back to hysterical.

I was told that it's pretty normal and will usually only last a month or 2...it's been 5, going on 6 months! And it's actually getting worse.

Has anyone else had this issue?? I'm starting to worry about her. We were talking about the plans for her 1st birthday and hubby reminded me that her birthday party might not be a good idea bc she'll probably end up traumatized for life (He has a VERY big family).

by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidensmomma508
by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:02 PM

I think it's normal... I used to work at day cares and there were certain babies that only liked to be with their parents, their certain favored teachers and that's it, like if someone covered for lunch breaks, or a teacher was out one day they would flip out hysterical like you said.... I think she'll grow out of it....I would ask her DR about it for advice but I don't think it's an issue to worry about.  ((hugs))

BeachMommy07
by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:25 PM

to the point of puking?? I 've seen babies cry if they dont know you-they are scared. It's completely normal .I 've also seen 1-2 year olds go through a *mommy stage* whereas the mommy can't go into the kitchen to grab a napkin without them crying hysterically But this is somethingI would bring up with the pediatrician. I'm sorry momma :(

foxracing43701
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I would say around the 5-6 months mark is usually whent they go through the fear of strangers. Usually they do grow out of it after a couple of months but some kids just don't like/trust people that they don't know. I would bring it up to the Dr. but I don't think it would be anything serious to worry about.

jazi1105
by Jazi on Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:38 PM

She's already been in her mommy stage for a while...I have to pee with her in the bathroom, and before she could crawl or sit up, I had to have her on my lap lol

The puking thing she's always done if she cries for more than say 2-3 mins and sooner if she starts with the hyperventilating thing. She never cried when she was a newborn, and once she started crying when she was 2-3 months old, she started puking. The dr said it was normal since crying puts a lot of stress and pressure on your stomach?

Thanks for the reply though...I need to talk with her Dr...it's not easy though since he's one of the many people she's absolutely terrified of lol Needless to say Dr appts involve a lot of me trying to talk over a screaming child lol

Quoting BeachMommy07:

to the point of puking?? I 've seen babies cry if they dont know you-they are scared. It's completely normal .I 've also seen 1-2 year olds go through a *mommy stage* whereas the mommy can't go into the kitchen to grab a napkin without them crying hysterically But this is somethingI would bring up with the pediatrician. I'm sorry momma :(

Mamivon3
by Stefanie on Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Quoting jazi1105:

She's already been in her mommy stage for a while...I have to pee with her in the bathroom, and before she could crawl or sit up, I had to have her on my lap lol

The puking thing she's always done if she cries for more than say 2-3 mins and sooner if she starts with the hyperventilating thing. She never cried when she was a newborn, and once she started crying when she was 2-3 months old, she started puking. The dr said it was normal since crying puts a lot of stress and pressure on your stomach?

Thanks for the reply though...I need to talk with her Dr...it's not easy though since he's one of the many people she's absolutely terrified of lol Needless to say Dr appts involve a lot of me trying to talk over a screaming child lol

Quoting BeachMommy07:

Have Dh go with you. He can take lo outside while you ask the dr. your question.

proudmommy690
by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 11:25 PM
awww poor baby :( no advice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2011 at 1:16 AM

I am so sorry. How frustrating :( I don't have any advice but to just talk to the pediatrician.

abernathyvanna
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2011 at 5:12 AM

Sounds to me like it's separation anxiety.. Which is a normal stage for her to go through at her age. :) 

lyrick24
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2011 at 5:28 AM
I think its pretty normal. She should grow out of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 11, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I want to say that it's something that she will grow out of. My boss's son was like that until he was a year and a half old. If you're concerned about it, definitely talk to her doctor. Hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN