Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is Dora ok to watch for boys?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is Dora ok to watch for boys?

Options:

Yes

No

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 34

View Results

My DS is 2 and is watching Dora with his sister (6). He likes it,dances to it and also says super cute oh man ;). DH is not so happy about and want him to watch more shows like GI joe and what else not.  But I don't see nothing wrong with it. It's not like he is watching it by himself.

by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
KristinRox
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Im guessing this is sarcasm. LOL.

Quoting Amybelle:

Oh Gawd NO!! don't let him watch Dora! It'll turn him Gay!!

=-/

JOIN US ON:

charlene_kyle
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 9:23 PM

It is perfectly ok for little boys to watch dora.

RutterMama
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Neither my boy nor my girl watch dora. We don't do Nick in our house.

adancemom
by Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I think GI Joe is more inappropriate for a 2 yr old boy than Dora is.  Would your DH be upset if your DD wanted to watch GI Joe or other "boy" shows?  

shrugging

robertmommie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 11:31 AM

My DS just started watching Dora a little over a week ago, I don't mind it, DH does.  I think it's just something different to watch and variety is good in more then one way.

Jellybean82
by New Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Quoting Mamivon3:

My DS is 2 and is watching Dora with his sister (6). He likes it,dances to it and also says super cute oh man ;). DH is not so happy about and want him to watch more shows like GI joe and what else not.  But I don't see nothing wrong with it. It's not like he is watching it by himself.

So what if he was?  Sexism and gender stereotyping are alive and well, I see.

simple frown

abernathyvanna
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I don't think that there is anything wrong with boys watching it.. Just because the main character is a female doesn't mean that it's just a show for girls. 

The show is out there for preschoolers to learn from and they do incorporate male characters into the show. 

abernathyvanna
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Although, there is another way to look at this.. Because believe it or not.. There are some preschoolers that pick up the habits of Swiper from their own homes. 

It's teaching kids that it's wrong for them to take things from other people. When they are saying Swiper don't swipe.. It's pretty much telling them that they need to tell someone when they see someone taking something that doesn't belong to them. 

At least this is how I see this part of the show anyway. 

Quoting tessiedawg:

I don't think Dora is that great a show for boys or girls...."Swiper don't swipe!" Really???

Since when does a preschooler need that kind of negativity?

kirbymom
by Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I see no reason why a boy should not watch Dora. My now 5 yr old son used to watch it 2 yrs ago. He won't watch it now though. He says its for babies. lol  You know what? He's right too.  lol  ~  Out of the mouths of babes.  Go figure.  :)

syndell58
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I dont see any problem with it at all. My grandson watches with his sister. You know, he is going to have female teachers in school. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)