Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Love Being A Mom I Love Being A Mom

My 19 month old has been diagnosed with "Foot and Mouth." ...I'm pregnant and clueless!

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:38 PM
  • 6 Replies

A week ago I had this insane ulcer in the back of my mouth. Figured it was nothing and let it hurt terribly for a week and it went away. {I'll bring this back in, in just a moment.}

Then my daughter breaks out in this rash! I naturally think it looks like Chicken Pox, but I ignore it while we're in the store. When leaving the store I notice this rash has already grown and it's not so much a rash but little red dots. 

For some motherly reason, I run her into the walk-iin clinic. I'm not one of those mommies that visits the doctor at every sneeze, but I just some how felt the need to go. They told me she does not have Chicken Pox, but "Foot and Mouth." I was told, "Nothing you can do. It's going to get worse. It may blister, and it may even cause blisters in her mouth. Keep her fever down. Wait this out." 

Within 24 hours, it has spread over her entire little body and some of the bigger "dots" do indeed look like blisters. No dots on her face or mouth yet though. 

But I am catching huge amounts of crap on FB about my baby having this, while I'm 16 weeks pregnant. I mean, I have to take care of my baby. I can't just let her itch and cry and not do anything, right? ...but upon looking at the CDC website about "Foot and Mouth" ...I noticed mouth ulcers were a symptom. Perhaps like the one I had a week ago? It got me worried. 

I also heard of one other mother having a baby diagnosed with this, while the mother was pregnant. She was immediatly given blood work at her OB and she had the viral disease too! Now she's monitored constantly. 

Can anyone give me advice on this? Should I be scared?

I see my OB Wednesday!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Dontchawishuknu
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Call your OB and ask, just for your own peace of mind. ((HUGS))
Anniethemommy
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Just call ur OB to be sure... Your a good mom, no worries. I'd be scared too thou...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

You are a great mom! Look how fast you got her to a doctor when you had questions. Ask your OB.

emmy526
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:16 AM

It's a common virus you guys could have picked up ANYWHERE...  door handles, shopping carts, even at the clinic you went to, it could have been all over the waiting room.   Good luck, and if you are in good health, i don't think you have much to worry about.. i had many a virus while preggo with 4....

Billy-Matt-Zack
by New Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Two of my boys had it. Their doctor told me that its very contagious and to put band aids over the blisters because if they touch the blisters they can spread it. Do not touch the blisters, use gloves when covering them so you dont get it. If the blisters get too bad go back to the doctor, they may be able to give you a cream so they don't get infected. It can last 1-4weeks. My boys got better in like 2weeks. You can Google it or look on webmd.com to get more info. Good luck Momma and I hope your little one gets better soon!
Billy-Matt-Zack
by New Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:54 PM
And call your doctor to find out the risks of you catching it while pregnant.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)