Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Love Being A Mom I Love Being A Mom

2.5yr old in family bed -HELP! - sort of long sorry

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 4:05 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hey everyone; My name is Cat, I have a 2.5yr old DD - I made the big mistake of ocassionally letting her sleep in our bed! I said I would never do it before I had kids, but it was not as easy as it sounded lol.

Anyway my DD could crawl out of her crib at 1yr so we transitioned her into a toddler bed and she does very well, would sleep in there for the most part but for the last 6-8 months we have had a bigger issues of her not consistantly sleeping through the night. Its harder to put her to bed in her own room with out layiing with her, and she always wakes up and comes into our bed and sleeps the rest of the night.

We get her in bed by 8pm, she will scream her head off and NOT go to sleep for hrs in there. but if you lay in there with her she will usually fall asleep between 10min -1hr depending on the day.
she has barely slept through the night though, we try to put her back in bed till she falls asleep but sometimes if we have to work the next day and are too tired, we will just allow her in our bed.

I need help breaking this habit! any ideas would be appriciated.
--One other note that sort of scared me, one time I asked DD why she was waking up in the first place and why she did not want so sleep in her room,  she told me "there is a man in there that bites me" !! We moved her to a different room which she does better in - but it scares me that she might be seeing things? or just scared of her room? She has one of those dream light animal pillows that is a great night light but does not always work

Sorry this is long :-/
thanks for any advice!

by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
emmy526
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Kids that age have a big imagination, so to her, there very well may be a man that bites her in the closet in her mind...one thing that mite get rid of that kind of fear is to get her a smal spray bottle of 'Monster B Gone' spray...if she sees the 'man' or 'monster' she can spray him and he'll disappear.   (water and a drop of food coloring) ...maybe it would be in her and your best interests to just put a sleeping bag by your bed, and when she  comes into your room, she can lie down in that, or go back to bed

KitCat922
by New Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 7:46 PM
You know that is a great idea. Thanks so much for the response!!

Quoting emmy526:

Kids that age have a big imagination, so to her, there very well may be a man that bites her in the closet in her mind...one thing that mite get rid of that kind of fear is to get her a smal spray bottle of 'Monster B Gone' spray...if she sees the 'man' or 'monster' she can spray him and he'll disappear.   (water and a drop of food coloring) ...maybe it would be in her and your best interests to just put a sleeping bag by your bed, and when she  comes into your room, she can lie down in that, or go back to bed

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollysmom212
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

we used to let the kids choose nightlights,play classic music to fall asleep to and sprayed feebreeze against monsters(not sure the food coloring would stain)...

ScrChk23
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 9:41 AM
We have a Scentsy warmer and a second night light in the boys' room. One of the boys is afraid of the dark. He is 5.5. Maybe a lamp or a ligt brighter than a night light so she can see everything in the room, but it is still soft enough that it won't keep ker up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)